Attention, Libertarians!

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
One of your godfathers wasn't so keen on open borders...

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2007...edman-quote-on-immigration-and-welfare-state/

A decade ago, Nobel prize-winning economist Milton Friedman admonished the Wall Street Journal for its idée fixe on open-border immigration policy. “It’s just obvious you can’t have free immigration and a welfare state,” he warned. This remark adds insight to the current debate over immigration in the U.S. Senate.

One of your godfathers wasn't so keen on open borders...

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2007...edman-quote-on-immigration-and-welfare-state/

A decade ago, Nobel prize-winning economist Milton Friedman admonished the Wall Street Journal for its idée fixe on open-border immigration policy. “It’s just obvious you can’t have free immigration and a welfare state,” he warned. This remark adds insight to the current debate over immigration in the U.S. Senate.
Looks to me that he was more opposed to a welfare state.

Could be, but our welfare state isn't going anywhere, unfortunately. What we CAN do is stop open borders, but we won't do that, either.
I think ending the welfare state is not only the more feasible of the two options, but also the more effective of the two options. Demanding closed borders will result primarily in greater, more pervasive, and more invasive government powers. Getting rid of the welfare state will do far more to abate the flow of illegal immigrants than closed borders, making it much more likely that an immigrant is crossing illegally for political purposes rather than economic ones.

I think ending the welfare state is not only the more feasible of the two options, but also the more effective of the two options. Demanding closed borders will result primarily in greater, more pervasive, and more invasive government powers. Getting rid of the welfare state will do far more to abate the flow of illegal immigrants than closed borders, making it much more likely that an immigrant is crossing illegally for political purposes rather than economic ones.

In actuality, I don't think welfare is the primary goal of most immigrants, certainly not the illegals. One is a defense issure, the other is a domestic issue. Both need to be addressed, IMO.

Forum List

Back