Attention Fellow Lost Fans!

I'm not complaining about the ending. The ending itself wasn't bad it was the fact that they promise to answer our questions but did not. If they hadn't been promising that all season, I wouldn't be disappointed.

And Jacob left the Island multiple times. What was so darn bad about his brother leaving that would have been so evil?

I dont feel like there has been closure. They all died and met in the Church. Got that part. They were all going to die anyway. Everyone is. Showing that really doesnt answer any of my questions.

Like I said, if they hadn't been hyping it all season as answering all the questions, I wouldn't be darn upset.

Seriously, crappy? :confused: I thought that was one of the best endings ever. They wrapped it up great and made is a happy ending (not like the one as a massage parlor, but happy anyways). They explained the meaning of the island, smokey and everything.

Innitially I didn't like the they are all dead thing, but after thinking about it, I actually liked that part.

That was a really crappy ending. After promising to answer all our questions they leave us with more questions and tell us they are dead. I mean what the heck is that?

They told some great stories, but the writers really suck at endings.

Here's another review/take on the finale. I find this explains the Source and it's role in the story pretty well.

The treatment of the Source in this finale is no different. Generally speaking, some ancient people managed to create a device which channeled the geothermal energies under the island into an intense electromagnetic/temporal anomaly, including the ever-important water from the island as a coolant. The device that created/maintained the Source was the metaphorical “cork” that held back the darkness that could destroy the world. There is no reason to think this simple chamber was the full extent of the device.

In more definitive terms, it’s fairly clear from this episode that removing the “cork” would sink the island. But it might also unleash the geothermal energy, perhaps in the form of a supervolcanic eruption. That would result in a worldwide darkness that would, if powerful enough, kill all life on Earth.

Now, one could quibble about how an island that can move through space and time could still be connected to a specific geothermal source. And of course it’s hard to reconcile, rationally, how the Source would then imbue an individual with supernatural powers or, in essence, turn a human being into a non-corporeal being of black smoke. This is because those elements don’t really need to be explained on that level for the purposes of the story.

If anything, the writers harken back to the mystery of the Swan Station, both visually and thematically. The Swan Station, according to the Dharma Initiative orientation film, was built to contain a dangerous pocket of electromagnetic energy that, if unleashed in an uncontrolled manner, would destroy the world. As the characters themselves note, nearly everything about the Source is metaphorically identical. Just as the Swan Station and its unusual properties were never fully explained, the Source is only treated insofar as it has meaning to the needs of the characters.

The resolution to the overall series arc is relatively simple. Whether or not Jack actually reasoned out the best way to resolve the conflict is a matter of debate. It certainly seems as though Jack was just feeling things out as he went. But in essence, the island was “healed” using the age-old notion of stopping the heart, temporarily killing the patient, and then starting the heart back up again.

While Jacob and Jack both derived power from the Source, it’s fairly clear that Adam/MiB did so as well. The clue to the solution of Adam’s power was revealed as soon as Richard began to age again. Once the connection to the Source is severed, mortality resumes. Once the Source was extinguished, Adam became mortal in the form of John Locke.

http://www.mediablvd.com/magazine/the_news/television_reviews/lost_6.17:_"the_end"_201005232114.html

Correct me if I'm wrong:

That's the thing one has to realize, there is no set in stone date for when they all arrived at the church. Could of been three years after 2007 or a hundred.

Sort of reminds me of the ending of Six Feet Under, except we don't see all the deaths but instead see them all going "home" together.

Just a thought.

LOL, Six Feet Under ending might have been the most depressing ending of all time. I still don't like watching it (although it was great).

The Lost ending was a happy ending, might sound gay, but it gave me a good feeling inside and appreciate my loved ones even more!:eusa_angel:

(1) Dharma Initiative: Who were they? Why exactly did they come? How did they find out about the Island?
(2) Others: Were did the others come from? Including Charles Witmore!
(3) The Light: What exactly was it. Was it the key to heaven? Was it energy from God? Etc. Personally I am glad they didn't answer this one.
(4) The Polar Bears: Why were they on the island. It appears Dharma brought them, but little else after that.
(5) The Russian Shithole: What happened to the Russian Shithole that killed Charlie.

(1) Dharma Initiative: Who were they? Why exactly did they come? How did they find out about the Island?
(2) Others: Were did the others come from? Including Charles Witmore!
(3) The Light: What exactly was it. Was it the key to heaven? Was it energy from God? Etc. Personally I am glad they didn't answer this one.
(4) The Polar Bears: Why were they on the island. It appears Dharma brought them, but little else after that.
(5) The Russian Shithole: What happened to the Russian Shithole that killed Charlie.

1. DHARMA Initiative - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

2. The Others - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

3. The Source - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

4. Polar bears - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

5. Mikhail Bakunin - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

So why was the Island at the bottom of the ocean at the beginning of the season?

Flash-sideways timeline

The Island submerged underwater, along with the broken Statue of Taweret. ("LA X, Part 1")

In the flash-sideways timeline, the Island is revealed to be underwater on the ocean floor. Several locations on the Island such as the Barracks, the sonar fence and the remnants of the Statue of Taweret are seen, all covered in ocean plant life and coral. ("LA X, Part 1")

After the events of the series finale, it is clear that it is not representative of a split where the Jughead had caused a diversion to the main timeline. Rather, the sunken Island is shown to symbolize that in this manifested reality they all inhabit in the flash sideways / afterlife, the Island exists only as a memory, just below the surface of their collective consciousness. The underwater Island contains pieces of familiarity, such as the barracks, fence, and statue because this is what the characters remember and experienced on the Island. Since this sideways reality is to the characters what their lives are like without the Island or interference from Jacob, it is underwater and seemingly dead.

The Island - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

So why was the Island at the bottom of the ocean at the beginning of the season?

Flash-sideways timeline

The Island submerged underwater, along with the broken Statue of Taweret. ("LA X, Part 1")

In the flash-sideways timeline, the Island is revealed to be underwater on the ocean floor. Several locations on the Island such as the Barracks, the sonar fence and the remnants of the Statue of Taweret are seen, all covered in ocean plant life and coral. ("LA X, Part 1")

After the events of the series finale, it is clear that it is not representative of a split where the Jughead had caused a diversion to the main timeline. Rather, the sunken Island is shown to symbolize that in this manifested reality they all inhabit in the flash sideways / afterlife, the Island exists only as a memory, just below the surface of their collective consciousness. The underwater Island contains pieces of familiarity, such as the barracks, fence, and statue because this is what the characters remember and experienced on the Island. Since this sideways reality is to the characters what their lives are like without the Island or interference from Jacob, it is underwater and seemingly dead.

The Island - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

Thanks, but that seems to be a major stretch. Although I have to admit that whoever wrote that has a great imagination!

"...just below the surface of their collective consciousness."

Deep! :lol:

If you took the sideways-flash storyline out and just focused on the rest . . . that's the story of Lost and all of that was real and happened to the characters.

Although the sideways-flash storyline was shown along side the rest of the story, it didn't happen at the same time. It was separate, it was 'timeless'. I really think people who were disappointed with the ending or the less-than-satisfactory answers to questions didn't appreciate or embrace the sci-fi end of this show. I also think that because a great deal of Lost is simply not possible, that you need to hop aboard the ride by taking a leap of faith and accept the fact that some things just were.

Last edited:
If you took the sideways-flash storyline out and just focused on the rest . . . that's the story of Lost and all of that was real and happened to the characters.

Although the sideways-flash storyline was shown along side the rest of the story, it didn't happen at the same time. It was separate, it was 'timeless'. I really think people who were disappointed with the ending or the less-than-satisfactory answers to questions didn't appreciate or embrace the sci-fi end of this show. I also think that because a great deal of Lost is simply not possible, that you need to hop aboard the ride by taking a leap of faith and accept the fact that some things just were.

I was hoping the sideways flash storylines would merge. It is a magical island after all. Again, I liked my ending better. :cool:

Maybe there will be a spin-off series called "The Hurley Years."

I was hoping the sideways flash storylines would merge. It is a magical island after all. Again, I liked my ending better. :cool:

I was positive that they were all being gathered together by Desmond to get on a plane to go back to the island (I didn't get that they were in limbo at that point) and that everyone would get off the island with Lapidus in his plane and the two worlds would 'merge' in mid air and . . . I have no clue after that. lol

It was a magical island and I so enjoyed that part of it!

How would you have ended it?

"The Hurley Years" . . . . would he have a room mate called 'Ralph'? :D

I was positive that they were all being gathered together by Desmond to get on a plane to go back to the island (I didn't get that they were in limbo at that point) and that everyone would get off the island with Lapidus in his plane and the two worlds would 'merge' in mid air and . . . I have no clue after that. lol

Post #12:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/2326284-post12.html

Post #12:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/2326284-post12.html

I missed that. Pretty good. . . .but I like Kate and Sawyer together.

When Desmond uncorked the light and Smokie lost his, well smoke, I really, really, really thought they should have had the fight between Jack and Smokie/Locke be more intense and 'bigger'. It was just lacking that certain something, imo.

Me too. If it was so easy to kill smokie, why didn't anyone do it before? Couldn't he withstand bullets or something?

No one could withstand the EM radiation while pulling out the cork , except for Desmond. But what Smokie didn't realize was that pulling out the cork would make him vulnerable to attack. Hah!!!

Forum List

Back