Attention all USMB Members!

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Now that I have your brief attention, hello.

Most of you if not all of you know me by now. You may have your opinion of me; may it be good or not already set in your minds as you read this.

However, I do believe there is one thing we can ALL agree on. That being The Fight against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military.

As some of you may or may not know, over 20% of veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from PTSD yet only half get treatment for it. There is a various number of reasons, it isn't noticed at the time or that local VA decides to ignore or even shun it.

Suicides among active-duty soldiers in 2007 reached their highest level since the army began keeping such records since 1980. (Even higher in 2008)According to the U.S. Army Medical Command Suicide Prevention Action Plan, in 2007 about 2,100 soldiers injured themselves or attempted suicide, compared with about 350 in 2002.

The suicide rate for soldiers is now higher then the rest of the regular population.

Now why the hell am I making a thread about this you may ask? Well, I currently run a Cause on Facebook (yes, yes I know) that is called The Fight against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military. I started it myself a few months ago and I'm happy to say that recruitment is steadily rising.

Currently, the cause has 966 members and thus far has been a tool of mine to raise awareness on the issue. However, I would like to branch out into raising money for a PTSD and or Mental Health related cause.

This is where you come in members of USMB!

I'm not looking for donations, no no. I'm rather looking for a Beneficiary for that any money donated to the cause will go to. I don't know how many of you have facebooks or know any viable groups on facebook that help people in some fashion with PTSD and or Mental Health but I'd love to hear all suggestions.

Thank You Very Much,

Modbert

$1oJ.jpg

Now that I have your brief attention, hello.

Most of you if not all of you know me by now. You may have your opinion of me; may it be good or not already set in your minds as you read this.

However, I do believe there is one thing we can ALL agree on. That being The Fight against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military.

As some of you may or may not know, over 20% of veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from PTSD yet only half get treatment for it. There is a various number of reasons, it isn't noticed at the time or that local VA decides to ignore or even shun it.

Suicides among active-duty soldiers in 2007 reached their highest level since the army began keeping such records since 1980. (Even higher in 2008)According to the U.S. Army Medical Command Suicide Prevention Action Plan, in 2007 about 2,100 soldiers injured themselves or attempted suicide, compared with about 350 in 2002.

The suicide rate for soldiers is now higher then the rest of the regular population.

Now why the hell am I making a thread about this you may ask? Well, I currently run a Cause on Facebook (yes, yes I know) that is called The Fight against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in the Military. I started it myself a few months ago and I'm happy to say that recruitment is steadily rising.

Currently, the cause has 966 members and thus far has been a tool of mine to raise awareness on the issue. However, I would like to branch out into raising money for a PTSD and or Mental Health related cause.

This is where you come in members of USMB!

I'm not looking for donations, no no. I'm rather looking for a Beneficiary for that any money donated to the cause will go to. I don't know how many of you have facebooks or know any viable groups on facebook that help people in some fashion with PTSD and or Mental Health but I'd love to hear all suggestions.

Thank You Very Much,

Modbert

View attachment 6828

Modbert, most cities and towns have a veterans' agent or office. that might be a good place to start looking.

Modbert, most cities and towns have a veterans' agent or office. that might be a good place to start looking.

Thank you Del, I have been looking into that. I was more looking so for one that is more national then anything but if I can't find anything through that then I will most likely go local.

VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) or the American Legion are national Veteran groups.

I know about the VFW quite well, my grandfather was apart of it before his death.

What I'm looking for is a group on facebook that has some sort of reputation since the cause is on facebook.

If this was a seperate website, I would of probably gone to a real life organization already.

Hey Modbert. Pick up your phone and dial 211. It will put you in contact with the IAVA, and they have all sorts of resources.

If you're looking for a place to send the donations to? They will be able to help out the best.

And yes, they are nationwide.

Forum List

Back