Attention All McAfee Users, Please Be Aware Of This Scam

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I use AVG, but I just wanted to warn you guys. Also, I don't have another sentence for this but hopefully it doesn't matter because it's just a warning and not really a discussion.

Been seeing that for years now, whenever I try cheap freeware apps downloaded online. Many of those apps want to install McAfee and Chrome along with it. Most of the time you just uncheck the box so they don't get installed along with the app.

• Banned
Btw, when I think of somebody I care about on here I'll tag them to this thread. Now this is just on the top of my head since there are so many of you that I do care about so if your username is not on the list and you respond, please don't take it personally.

JohnDB, Meister, toobfreak, mudwhistle, White 6, Mikeoxenormous, BS Filter to begin with and some other Mikes that I forgot what their usernames were so I can't tag unfortunately. Also, JGalt you already responded and TroglocratsRdumb you reacted to my OP so I know you know oh and Slade3200, BackAgain and Rambunctious.

• Banned
Oh yeah and Alan Stallion is another one that I want to warn about this, I just couldn't remember his username before.

Btw, when I think of somebody I care about on here I'll tag them to this thread. Now this is just on the top of my head since there are so many of you that I do care about so if your username is not on the list and you respond, please don't take it personally.

I have not used any Google products in many years, don't need them, don't like them, and I haven't run McAfee in ages. I think it was my second AV when I first got into computing and I didn't like it.

Norton was my first and I liked it even less. Another I did not like was Kaspersky and ESET.

In the late 90s McAfee was a great company making outstanding and useful software.
The "McAfee System Utilities" for both PC and Mac were standard tools for any IT person.
McAfee Ghost - the list goes on.
But by the time M$ came out with XP and Apple went to a Unix based backbone and came out with "X" - the need for these tools was kinda going away.
Soo... they went the anti-virus route. And that was okay, it was really good anti-virus program back in the day.
But then they went viral themselves. Their program kinda became a virus. It put it's hands into everything, slowing your system down, pop up warnings that sounded like you have a virus or malware, but were really wickedly worded advertisements to ensure you kept your subscription going by scaring you or to buy upgrades.

Today - it is a bad company.
Period.

I haven't used an AV in years.

They're all basically just an onboard snitch to monitor what you're doing on your computer anyway.

Common sense computing and browsing is the best protection...

Forum List

Back