Attaher: Mubarak's downfall dealt a blow to the peace option

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
DAMASCUS, (PIC)-- Senior official of the popular front for the liberation of Palestine Maher Attaher said that the downfall of Hosni Mubarak and his regime dealt a decisive blow to the option of a peaceful settlement between Arabs and the Zionist entity.

"There is no doubt that the removal of Mubarak from power will have profound impacts on the Palestinian cause and the Arab situation in general because Egypt has heavy weight," Attaher stressed in a press statement to Quds Press.

"The results will be definitely positive because the former regime was an agent for America in the region, an ally of Israel, and a contributor to Gaza siege," he added.

In the same context, Palestinian political analysts opined in press statements to the Palestinian information center (PIC) that the blockade imposed on Gaza would start to disintegrate after the downfall of Mubarak's regime.

Professor at Al-Azhar university in Gaza As'ad Abu Sharkh expressed his belief that the departure of the former regime from the political arena in Egypt would have a positive impact on the Strip, especially since the January 25 revolutionists had demanded during their protests an end to Gaza siege.

Attaher: Mubarak's downfall dealt a blow to the peace option

I not only don't believe that is true I think it is absolutely and diametrically the opposite of the truth.

I think that a freer more democratic Egyptian society might be just what's needed to break the log jam in negotiation between the Palestinians and Israelis.

Egypt is under the rule of a military junta, all freedoms are what the junta says they are. As long as the military agrees with the next candidate for president he will be their man to oppress as the junta allows, people with guns make rules and enforce them. You want freedom own a gun.

Forum List

Back