Attacked by Microsoft hijack

They're my computers. I work for myself.

They're my computers. I work for myself.

The YOU should hire a good IT guy so you can concentrate on business. It amazes me how many business owners know very little about running a business.

FYI: If you download freeware, you'd better have the strongest bug program available.

I'm not a "business owner" --- I'm a freelancer. I'm hired for the occasion. And in any case, while I have an IT guy down the road for when I need one, I don't figure I should need one for the goddam OS platform. That's an outrage.

But I was already incensed years ago when I saw "Welcome" popping up on the startup screen. Excuse me--- "welcome"?? I *PAID* for you, you don't "welcome" me! :death:

That speaks volumes about their irreparably patronizing attitude. That and their infantile "my computer" icons...

I'm not a "business owner" --- I'm a freelancer. I'm hired for the occasion. And in any case, while I have an IT guy down the road for when I need one, I don't figure I should need one for the goddam OS platform. That's an outrage.

But I was already incensed years ago when I saw "Welcome" popping up on the startup screen. Excuse me--- "welcome"?? I *PAID* for you, you don't "welcome" me! :death:

That speaks volumes about their irreparably patronizing attitude. That and their infantile "my computer" icons...

You've cemented my 'It amazes me how many business owners know very little about running a business' post. You're a private contractor, ie; you own a business.

No, actually I don't. I have skills and equipment, and I'm hired to use them. That simply makes me a freelancer as opposed to a statutory employee. Part of that deal (lately) is that I do the entire gig on my own, including booking my own travel and using my own equipment. That is taking on risk, sure, and that risk has to be addressed. But it's not "owning a business".

By the way this site has a quote feature. Why don't you use it instead of being obnoxious.

No, actually I don't. I have skills and equipment, and I'm hired to use them. That simply makes me a freelancer as opposed to a statutory employee. Part of that deal (lately) is that I do the entire gig on my own, including booking my own travel and using my own equipment. That is taking on risk, sure, and that risk has to be addressed. But it's not "owning a business".

You are a business. You get all the nifty tax breaks, and the government has some of the monies you've paid to help you. You paid it, why not use it?

By the way this site has a quote feature. Why don't you use it instead of being obnoxious.

Happy?

Way better.

And no, I'm still not a business, regardless what IRS says. I'm an individual for hire, period. How that hiring works is up to the hirer, not me. And no, I get no "tax breaks", nifty or otherwise. I'm required to tax myself.

--- Absolutely none of which has squat to do with Microplop's hijack virus.

So yesterday morning I got my work computer humming, got several things in the process of working, ready to knock out. I get up for a bite to eat, look at the computer and it's ...... restarting?

:wtf:

Well there goes everything I was working on.... who told it to restart?

Then the screen goes black with a big circle in the middle showing a percentage (status) and the words "Windows Upgrade" on the top and "Your system will restart several times" at the bottom. Not only is my work gone, I'm being invaded and can't do a damn thing about it.

Well over an hour later my worst fears materialize: "Welcome to Windblows 10". :banghead:

Fortunately the very first thing that comes up is a plain text on dark background reading a TOS agreement it wants you to "Accept". Immediately I click "Decline". It tries to sell me again with lies about speeds and whatever, I firmly say No. Then it goes, "Wull heck, OK we'll restore the previous system but this will take a while".

So first they wipe out my work, then they tie up my system for an hour and a half bringing in shit I never asked for and specifically declined, then they tie me up another hour and a half cleaning up the mess they made without any kind of permission whatsoever. Finally three hours later I have my Win 8 back and I can get back to reconstructing all the work they wiped out.

It occurs to me that if the hijack had happened 24 hours earlier I would have lost the files I'm working on as they were being generated, and they wouldn't exist, and possibly neither would my job. And for all I know they're just going to do it again at some unknown point in the future.

If there ever was a time for a class action suit, it's here. I didn't find one in progress on a search but if anyone knows of such an action please let us know here.
This may be your year´s best event, lucky beggar. Get your free 10.000 bucks...
Microsoft pays woman $10,000 over forced Windows 10 upgrade | Microsoft | Geek.com

So yesterday morning I got my work computer humming, got several things in the process of working, ready to knock out. I get up for a bite to eat, look at the computer and it's ...... restarting?

Then the screen goes black with a big circle in the middle showing a percentage (status) and the words "Windows Upgrade" on the top and "Your system will restart several times" at the bottom. Not only is my work gone, I'm being invaded and can't do a damn thing about it.

Well over an hour later my worst fears materialize: "Welcome to Windblows 10". :banghead:

Fortunately the very first thing that comes up is a plain text on dark background reading a TOS agreement it wants you to "Accept". Immediately I click "Decline". It tries to sell me again with lies about speeds and whatever, I firmly say No. Then it goes, "Wull heck, OK we'll restore the previous system but this will take a while".

So first they wipe out my work, then they tie up my system for an hour and a half bringing in shit I never asked for and specifically declined, then they tie me up another hour and a half cleaning up the mess they made without any kind of permission whatsoever. Finally three hours later I have my Win 8 back and I can get back to reconstructing all the work they wiped out.

It occurs to me that if the hijack had happened 24 hours earlier I would have lost the files I'm working on as they were being generated, and they wouldn't exist, and possibly neither would my job. And for all I know they're just going to do it again at some unknown point in the future.

If there ever was a time for a class action suit, it's here. I didn't find one in progress on a search but if anyone knows of such an action please let us know here.
Microsoft pays woman $10,000 over forced Windows 10 upgrade | Microsoft | Geek.com
Like the article said, blood is in the water and the sharks are starting to circle. We'll see what happens next.

Ummmm...... to NOT be hijacked ..... on a computer and system I already paid full price for...... cannot in any universe be described as "begging". It's simple ETHICS. You don't break into my house and start deleting files I'm working on, do you? Well that is exactly what Microplop did to me. I got off lucky, in that my system wasn't destroyed like the plaintiff here, and I was able to recreate that work, and it happened after those files already existed, rather than 24 hours earlier when the same process would have wiped them out completely, and my job along with it.

What don't you get about that?

"No" means "no" means "NO". Is Microplop going to now defend itself with "hey, she was askin' for it"?

>> Her $10,000 win, Microsoft is quick to point out, is not actually an admission of guilt. They’re saying that they decided to settle to avoid a lengthy legal process and note that they’re continuing to investigate the particulars of Goldstein’s unwanted upgrade. <<
Of course it isn't. Microplop routinely pays out $10k to anybody who asks. :eusa_liar:

I could certainly bill them for my time spent waiting around for 3 hours to get my system back, plus the time to reconstruct my work. At premium hourly rates of course (it was Sunday).

Plus the 30 seconds it took to download and install Ringel's GWX to prevent future hijacks 30 seconds rounds off to an additional hour. :D

Lying fucking bastards... I hope this becomes a torrent. Thanks for posting it.

Ummmm...... to NOT be hijacked ..... on a computer and system I already paid full price for...... cannot in any universe be described as "begging". It's simple ETHICS. You don't break into my house and start deleting files I'm working on, do you? Well that is exactly what Microplop did to me. I got off lucky, in that my system wasn't destroyed like the plaintiff here, and I was able to recreate that work, and it happened after those files already existed, rather than 24 hours earlier when the same process would have wiped them out completely, and my job along with it.

"No" means "no" means "NO". Is Microplop going to now defend itself with "hey, she was askin' for it"?

>> Her $10,000 win, Microsoft is quick to point out, is not actually an admission of guilt. They’re saying that they decided to settle to avoid a lengthy legal process and note that they’re continuing to investigate the particulars of Goldstein’s unwanted upgrade. <<
Of course it isn't. Microplop routinely pays out $10k to anybody who asks. :eusa_liar:

I could certainly bill them for my time spent waiting around for 3 hours to get my system back, plus the time to reconstruct my work. At premium hourly rates of course (it was Sunday).

Plus the 30 seconds it took to download and install Ringel's GWX to prevent future hijacks 30 seconds rounds off to an additional hour. :D

There is no intention to call you a beggar. It is just a term describing a person who has luck.

BTW: I have been using Windows 8 Enterprise ever since and never were bothered with "Upgrade". I also turn Updates off anyway and install them manually using an update pack resp. integrate them into the image.

There is no intention to call you a beggar. It is just a term describing a person who has luck.

BTW: I have been using Windows 8 Enterprise ever since and never were bothered with "Upgrade". I also turn Updates off anyway and install them manually using an update pack resp. integrate them into the image.

Perhaps you're not that familiar with English but that's not what "beggar" means.

beg·gar
ˈbeɡər/
noun
noun: beggar; plural noun: beggars
  1. 1.
    a person, typically a homeless one, who lives by asking for money or food.
    synonyms: panhandler, mendicant, tramp, vagrant, vagabond, hobo; More
    informalscrounger, sponger, cadger, freeloader, bum, moocher, mooch
    "he never turned any beggar from his door"
  2. 2.
    informal
    a person of a specified type, often one to be envied or pitied.
    "poor little beggars"
--- nothing to do with "luck".

Perhaps you're not that familiar with English but that's not what "beggar" means.

beg·gar
ˈbeɡər/
noun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.
    informal
    "poor little beggars"
Make your choice, then: :biggrin:
c4ecljfs.jpg

But well, I should have checked the secondary library, too: :biggrin:
itu7lhs4.jpg

beg·gar
ˈbeɡər/
noun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.
    informal
    "poor little beggars"
c4ecljfs.jpg

itu7lhs4.jpg

I think perhaps the word you're looking for here is bugger, not beggar.

Sorry but your Ding-tionary is just plain wrong. You might look for a new resource.

beg·gar
ˈbeɡər/
noun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.
    informal
    "poor little beggars"
c4ecljfs.jpg

itu7lhs4.jpg

Sorry but your Ding-tionary is just plain wrong. You might look for a new resource.
Google says it is beggar, as well:
3h7qbj8b.jpg

beg·gar
ˈbeɡər/
noun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.
    informal
    "poor little beggars"
c4ecljfs.jpg

itu7lhs4.jpg

3h7qbj8b.jpg

Then that's wrong too. No doubt an echo of the same source.

Look, I'm a native Anglopone. The word you wanted was "bugger", not "beggar". The former is synonymous with "fellow", "devil" (in a colloquial metaphorical sense) and "sod". "Beggar" ------ is not.

beg·gar
ˈbeɡər/
noun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.
    informal
    "poor little beggars"
c4ecljfs.jpg

itu7lhs4.jpg

3h7qbj8b.jpg

Look, I'm a native Anglopone. The word you wanted was "bugger", not "beggar". The former is synonymous with "fellow", "devil" (in a colloquial metaphorical sense) and "sod". "Beggar" ------ is not.
Both lucky bugger and lucky beggar work, when you google the terms.

beg·gar
ˈbeɡər/
noun
  1. 1.
  2. 2.
    informal
    "poor little beggars"
c4ecljfs.jpg

itu7lhs4.jpg

3h7qbj8b.jpg

I don't care what you can "find on Google". If you want to you can find that Dalmatians are aliens from Pluto --- doesn't make it a real thing. What you have there is somebody's typo, found in a search engine. The term is "bugger", not "beggar".

Watch this --- I Googled "lucky booger", which is neither of these terms nor in common parlance. Over three hundred thousand returns. That doesn't make it retroactively part of the language. "Lucky bigger" -- which makes no sense at all --- returns over 52 million.

c4ecljfs.jpg

itu7lhs4.jpg

3h7qbj8b.jpg

I don't care what you can "find on Google". If you want to you can find that Dalmatians are aliens from Pluto --- doesn't make it a real thing. What you have there is somebody's typo, found in a search engine. The term is "bugger", not "beggar".

Watch this --- I Googled "lucky booger", which is neither of these terms nor in common parlance. Over three hundred thousand returns. That doesn't make it retroactively part of the language. "Lucky bigger" -- which makes no sense at all --- returns over 52 million.
I have 302000 results and not even the fist results refer to a guy who has luck. Funny search term, though :biggrin:

And just to add some colour:

Beggar thy neighbour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems to be a verb when properly used.

Aye, that would be the third part of the def I didn't quote, as the poster used it as noun ----

verb
verb: beggar; 3rd person present: beggars; past tense: beggared; past participle: beggared; gerund or present participle: beggaring
reduce (someone) to poverty.
"by being soft to the unfortunate, we beggared ourselves"
synonyms: panhandler, mendicant, tramp, vagrant, vagabond, hobo; More​

--- still the same concept though.

c4ecljfs.jpg

itu7lhs4.jpg

3h7qbj8b.jpg

Ya have to remember Blei claims to be German though I believe if he is he's former STASI currently working for/with the SVR RF, Directorate I........ :eusa_whistle:

3h7qbj8b.jpg

Ya have to remember Blei claims to be German though I believe if he is he's former STASI currently working for/with the SVR RF, Directorate I........ :eusa_whistle:

Ah, so he could be a lackey blogger?

3h7qbj8b.jpg

Ah, so he could be a lackey blogger?
Considering that according to him Putin and the Russian Federation can do no wrong....... :dunno:

3h7qbj8b.jpg

Main task of the MfS ("Stasi") was the acquisition of goods that were listed on the CoCom-list. This is why the GDR was in possession of a 486 CPU when the world public did not even know it exists. Thanks to the MfS, the GDR was able to cover its demand of microelectronics by 70 % (FRG: 40 %) and was the leading nation in this field within the Comecon.

Neue Leitungsschaltkreise sollen die flexible Automatisierung verbessern: DDR-Kombinat entwickelt die erste eigene 32-Bit-CPU - computerwoche.de

Last edited:

Forum List

Back