Attaching MP3 File to Email

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Can you attach an mp3 file to an email and mail it to someone? I tried to do it and my email program (AOL Internet Mail) wouldn't make it happen. I attached the file, clicked on Send and the little circle just whirled and whirled, etc. In fact, it froze up the entire program and I had to exit.

I know AOL sucks - that's not the issue. The question is, regardless of what email you are using, can you attach an mp3 file to an email and send it?

Zip it first. (compress it)
If you have never done this before...google "compressing files in Windows XX)
XX = whatever version of windows you are using.

You will be able to email it after that.

Yup. When my daughter lived at college we would sometimes email songs to each other. We use Yahoo mail. Just attached the song from a public file and sent the email. Easy peasy.

I don't think it's going to work. I compressed the file and sent it to myself. The file is 13.5MB, by the way - it is a song that lasts for 7:25 minutes.

Anyway, it took about 5 minutes to send it. I opened it up after it "arrived" (on my own email program). The attached file was there but, when I clicked on it, instead of playing the song, it opened up a browse window and invited me to save it. I tried to save it, but it said it would take three minutes or so and then the download failed because it said it "could not find the source file."

I don't need all this b.s. and the person I was going to send the song to CERTAINLY doesn't need it.

Am giving up. Thanks all.

Edit afterthought: I guess what I will have to do is make a CD and send it in the mail. That, I can do.

Last edited:
I don't think it's going to work. I compressed the file and sent it to myself. The file is 13.5MB, by the way - it is a song that lasts for 7:25 minutes.

Anyway, it took about 5 minutes to send it. I opened it up after it "arrived" (on my own email program). The attached file was there but, when I clicked on it, instead of playing the song, it opened up a browse window and invited me to save it. I tried to save it, but it said it would take three minutes or so and then the download failed because it said it "could not find the source file."

I don't need all this b.s. and the person I was going to send the song to CERTAINLY doesn't need it.

Edit afterthought: I guess what I will have to do is make a CD and send it in the mail. That, I can do.

I'm tellin' ya....GMail.....it's free and much better than most everything else.

What's the song?

"Ain't Misbehavin' - Closing Medley." It's a song from the Broadway musical, "Ain't Misbehavin'" - Fats Waller.

I have a GMail account. Maybe I'll take a shot using it. But the person I am sending the song to is not computer literate. If she can't click on it and have it play, game over. Will she be able to do that? Or will she have to go through a bunch of computer red tape b.s. in order to listen to it?

What's the song?

"Ain't Misbehavin' - Closing Medley." It's a song from the Broadway musical, "Ain't Misbehavin'" - Fats Waller.

I have a GMail account. Maybe I'll take a shot using it. But the person I am sending the song to is not computer literate. If she can't click on it and have it play, game over. Will she be able to do that? Or will she have to go through a bunch of computer red tape b.s. in order to listen to it?

In gmail, below the attachment it will say "Play" and "download". If she clicks play it will play.

Here's where I am at Mr. H:

8% full
Using 2081 MB of your 25600 MB

I have never deleted an email either. lol.

I'm tellin' ya....GMail.....it's free and much better than most everything else.

I know - but consider this. First of all, I have used AOL since about 1994, I think. It is "my" email program and, right or wrong, in or out, I am used to it and I like it. Secondly, I tried GMail, and found to be extremely user UNfriendly. Very hard to figure out how to use it on even the most basic level. I got tired of trying to make it work.

Last edited:
What's the song?

I don't have that song, or else I would help you out.

Well, she may have to save the file then if she doesn't have gmail.

Surely she can do that? Click on it, and it asks you where you want to save it to.

I know - but consider this. First of all, I have used AOL since about 1994, I think. It is "my" email program and, right or wrong, in or out, I am used to it and I like it. Secondly, I tried GMail, and found to be extremely user UNfriendly. Very hard to figure out how to use it on even the most basic level. I got tired of trying to make it work.

They've changed their layout over the past couple of months. Give it another shot.

Forum List

Back