Atrocities and wives and girlfriends

Discussion in 'Military' started by nt250, Aug 2, 2006.

1. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    What's with Vietnam veterans and the stories they tell their wives and girlfriends about what they did in Vietnam?

I'm asking because today, again, I was told by the wife of a Vietnam vet that he committed horrible acts while over there.

This is the fifth time I've had a woman who claims to be a wife, or a woman whose boyfriend served in Vietnam, tell me that they committed atrocities.

I visited a lot of different websites during the last election, and I read a lot of posts by vets. Nothing I've ever read has ever convinced me it was wide spread or common.

So how come these liberal women are so quick to tell me it was and that their own men are the proof of it?

Are they exaggerating, or did the men exaggerate? Or lie?

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Define atrocities.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Probably both..

4. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72

The context was Haditha. Someone started a thread about the report that was released that said there was evidence that Marines deliberately killed unarmed women and children. A female poster replied and said her husband had admitted to committing horrible acts when he was in Vietnam.

But it's not the first time I've had this happen. Back during the election, I posted about Kerry's claims of atrocities, and the same thing. Always a woman. Always her husband, or a former boyfriend.

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    people lie all the time....if this woman's husband committed war crimes then he should turn himself in at the Hague.

6. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72

Yeah, I know they lie. Just the fact that it's on a message board means I can't take anything they say at face value. I always try to remember that first and foremost. Anybody can claim to be anything.

I can understand why some people lie about serving the armed forces. What I don't get is why anyone would lie about committing heinous acts, or witnessing such things. And it's been documented that many have done just that.

Nobody, on any of the sites I visited, every said atrocities didn't happen.

I guess I just don't understand the mentality that would like to believe it was more common than it was, and is.

7. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    well, it is possible, not probabale, that this woman's husband killed children.....makes you wonder why she is with him and why she would "brag" about it.....i would surmise that it is not an american and it is not true....tell a lie often enough and it gains traction and plausability

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I think some lie about military service, Vietnam, atrocities and what not because they think it will somehow enhance their image in the eyes of those they are trying to impress. I guess that is an obvious statement; I suspect a lot of such lies come at the spur of the moment. Hypothetically, if one wanted to get a date/sympathy from a hot lib chick like Janet Reno, he might just try to present himself as the poor tortured soul who committed atrocities in VN while on some sooper sekrit mission deep inside enemy lines.... I suspect that sometimes that works too.

Lets face it, it is still very PC to be anti-Viet Nam war and a great amount of fame can be garnered by taking that stance as the hero/anti-hero in that period. We have even had one or two politicians run for office on that precedent.

9. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Exactly. Duh, it's war. Atrocious acts are going to be committed. But, does that necessarily mean war crimes? Or slaughtering civilians?

10. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Yeah. Everytime it's happened, and it's been at least 5 times now, it's always in the context of defending their arguments. It's like they pull it out of their hat to make a point.

In this latest case, I find out that the man is dead. How despicable is that? Accuse your dead husband of admitting to committing war crimes and then act all indignant when called on it.