Atomic Number versus Atomic Mass

Atomic number is the # of protons in an atom. Atomic mass is the number of protons plus the number of neutrons. This is your first post on a political message board???? You lost?

Last edited:
Atomic number is the # of protons in an atom. Atomic mass is the number of protons plus the number of neutrons. This is your first post on a political message board???? You lost?

Ah, I see, ty.

Lost? I don't think so, why?

Ah, I see, ty.

Lost? I don't think so, why?
There are hundreds of science forums, Yahoo answer type places, yet you joined a primarily political discussion message board and your first post is a high school chemistry question. You seem lost to me.

We can easily make this thread into a debate.

Surely one of our resident anti-science/anti-intellectual posters here can find some reason to explain to us that the science behind atomic theory is all hokeum

I know of no one who doesn't believe in basic chemistry.

fail.

Well recently there was a discussion that there could be some naturally occuring elements that haven't been discovered yet. Apparently, there are some people here that don't understand basic chemistry. Except for Technetium which is the lowest weight element with no stable isotopes and has never been found naturally, the only other possible elements are high-weight, inherently unstable and very, very short-lived. Despite all those very well known facts, I was called close-minded for suggesting that there were no new elements to be found!

I know of no one who doesn't believe in basic chemistry.

fail.

Well recently there was a discussion that there could be some naturally occuring elements that haven't been discovered yet. Apparently, there are some people here that don't understand basic chemistry. Except for Technetium which is the lowest weight element with no stable isotopes and has never been found naturally, the only other possible elements are high-weight, inherently unstable and very, very short-lived. Despite all those very well known facts, I was called close-minded for suggesting that there were no new elements to be found!
Probably speaks more to ignorance than dogma.

The periodic table is merely a suggestion. All matter is made by the bejeebusses daddy and he has the final say. If Gob wants helium heavier than lead he just makes it so. Don't get TOO used to this man made reference. It is subject to change/whim/edict.

Atomic mass is the number of protons plus the number of neutrons.+ electrons

Forum List

Back