"atlas shrugged" will change the face of american politics

the book has been a fool proof indicator of intelligence. Idiots hate it. Nuff said.

true... Another good test of intelligence is when someone wears headphones, do they yell when they try to talk to you ? It's because they can't hear themselves, and can't compensate

How about when you're driving and you're trying to see out the passenger window when you are about to pull out... If they lean forward at the same time you do...

Liberal idiots get all trotsky when the book gets mentioned

Last edited:
I have long been an Ayn Rand advocate and supporter. There is a movie based on one of her books, "The Fountainhead" and I loved watching it 3 times, from Netflix. Some great actors. Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal ( in her debut performance). HOT movie.

Humm...I've never heard of this movie, I'm going to have to check it out.

I have long been an Ayn Rand advocate and supporter. There is a movie based on one of her books, "The Fountainhead" and I loved watching it 3 times, from Netflix. Some great actors. Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal ( in her debut performance). HOT movie.

Humm...I've never heard of this movie, I'm going to have to check it out.

the fountainhead is awesome too, there aren't too many movies i'll watch in black and white.
she didn't write many novels. we the living...
you might also check out some of the interviews with ayn...

live television...

Last edited by a moderator:
this is your last chance to read the book before the movie comes out.

i have waited my whole life for this. when i was in high school i discovered ayn rand, it changed my life , and much to my delight, would end up in a conservative website framed by objectivism.
i remember thinking, someday, once the internet is invented, this will be my political philosohpy and i will take it to the people..

life imitates art. we are dagney taggert and hank rearden (the protagonists) and the democratic party (led by one barrak obama... if that is your real name), is the government, and "mr. thompson".

you are going to be seeing and hearing and feeling atlas shrugged a lot in the coming time until the 2012 election.

as wonderfual as the original novel is, no, magnificient... the movie will better present to the masses, that big government is not only wrong, in this country, according to our constitution, it is immoral.

i further suggest that this hollywood production will play a large roll in unseating the president of obama, how ultimately and deliciously ironic. how do you like us now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM

it looks good, no, great.

todays conservative political leaders do NOT want smaller government.

they want LAWS!

and LAWS mean BIG GOVERNMENT.

newt gingrich "we must change the laws of the land to reflect our (christian) religious beliefs
and see to iit that they can NEVER BE CHANGED AGAIN"

tell me.....
how can you wage war on gays and atheists and liberals without big government?

Ayn Rand is perhaps one of the worst authors I've ever wasted my time on. I got through 3/4ths of the Fountainhead before I tossed the book where it belonged..the trash.

It's comforting to know that before she died..she, like many Americans, had to rely on SSI because she went broke due to Medical expenses.

The irony was thick with this one.

I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged, but the novel, for its purposes, fails to deliver. Rand take unbelievable characters and puts them into unbelievable scenarios, with the result of what is an unbelievable outcome. One thing I found very curious is Rand's inconsistent portrayal of the general public and public sentiment. On one hand she portrays the public as knowing, understanding, and even demanding the ideals represented by her protagonists and shows them as being frequently moved into action, like in the frequent abandonment of jobs, including railroad jobs, by many people across Rand's United States. But when it suits her she subsequently portrays the public as mindless and ignorant masses, lazy and entitled to a such a gross degree it is difficult to say whether they or the primary antagonists are the embodiment of the evil Rand suggests exists.

Rand's proper characters, both antagonists and protagonists alike, are written as if being embodies metaphors for the supreme purity of concepts Rand wished to present. This makes them believable in the Rand universe similar to how Gollum is a believable character within the LOTR universe, but unbelievable as characters that might exist in reality. While Rand does an excellent job of presenting a thoroughly thought out narrative and maintains a steady pace of developing the complexity of the plot as the story unfolds, in the end the plot itself, its developments, and Rand's suggestion about how our world might go if we so allowed it, only exists because it was so written.

incredible... you get it... this is gold... you have single handedly defined "the american people"

liberals: mindless and ignorant masses, lazy and entitled to a such a gross degree it is difficult to say whether they or the primary antagonists are the embodiment of the evil Rand suggests exists.

conservatives: knowing, understanding, and even demanding the ideals represented by her protagonists and shows them as being frequently moved into action, like in the frequent abandonment of jobs, including railroad jobs, by many people across Rand's United States.

i'm taking this to madison

great
just what we needed
an another arrogant ignorant right wing conservative

liberals believe in a kinder, gentler nation in which all people live decent, happy, healthy lives

you and your fellow right wing conservatives believe in a dog eat dog mentality and work diligently to assure that a smalll portion of the populace reap GREAT REWARDS while MILLIONS living in poverty

I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged, but the novel, for its purposes, fails to deliver. Rand take unbelievable characters and puts them into unbelievable scenarios, with the result of what is an unbelievable outcome. One thing I found very curious is Rand's inconsistent portrayal of the general public and public sentiment. On one hand she portrays the public as knowing, understanding, and even demanding the ideals represented by her protagonists and shows them as being frequently moved into action, like in the frequent abandonment of jobs, including railroad jobs, by many people across Rand's United States. But when it suits her she subsequently portrays the public as mindless and ignorant masses, lazy and entitled to a such a gross degree it is difficult to say whether they or the primary antagonists are the embodiment of the evil Rand suggests exists.

Rand's proper characters, both antagonists and protagonists alike, are written as if being embodies metaphors for the supreme purity of concepts Rand wished to present. This makes them believable in the Rand universe similar to how Gollum is a believable character within the LOTR universe, but unbelievable as characters that might exist in reality. While Rand does an excellent job of presenting a thoroughly thought out narrative and maintains a steady pace of developing the complexity of the plot as the story unfolds, in the end the plot itself, its developments, and Rand's suggestion about how our world might go if we so allowed it, only exists because it was so written.

By making everything bogger than life and exagerated in outcome, Rand demonstrates the conclusion that she is presenting. Atlas Shrugged is not Shakespeare. Shakespeare leads to your own understanding of the world about you while only allowing a glimpse of the author's self. Rand carves a harsh sculpture and shines a light on it.

Rand's style is Rand.

Two very different styles and two very different intents.

Because they share a language, more or less, they have similarities, but in terms of an art form, it's the difference between poetry and propaganda.

All that said though, the writings of both of these folks changed my life.

you and your fellow right wing conservatives believe in a dog eat dog mentality and work diligently to assure that a smalll portion of the populace reap GREAT REWARDS while MILLIONS living in poverty

is that so wrong ?

A single book is going to change American politics? That sounds amazing! When did this book come out?

Oh, wait..

1957?

Maybe it will be a delayed reaction........

it's a real thick book though man...

Last edited:
Ayn Rand is perhaps one of the worst authors I've ever wasted my time on. I got through 3/4ths of the Fountainhead before I tossed the book where it belonged..the trash.

It's comforting to know that before she died..she, like many Americans, had to rely on SSI because she went broke due to Medical expenses.

jefferson died broke, so did jesus i think... makes sense to me.

is that so wrong ?

Is it wrong to work to assure that millions live in poverty?

Yes, it is.

What kind of fucked up world do you live in?

A conservative book coming out of Hollywood? Lol...and repubs still claim Hollywood is liberal while a conservative movie is being released.

Perpetual victimhood must be tiring

jefferson died broke, so did jesus i think... makes sense to me.

Yes..but instead of refusing the help of the Government..she did like the masses she so demonized.:lol:

this is your last chance to read the book before the movie comes out.

i have waited my whole life for this. when i was in high school i discovered ayn rand, it changed my life , and much to my delight, would end up in a conservative website framed by objectivism.
i remember thinking, someday, once the internet is invented, this will be my political philosohpy and i will take it to the people..

life imitates art. we are dagney taggert and hank rearden (the protagonists) and the democratic party (led by one barrak obama... if that is your real name), is the government, and "mr. thompson".

you are going to be seeing and hearing and feeling atlas shrugged a lot in the coming time until the 2012 election.

as wonderfual as the original novel is, no, magnificient... the movie will better present to the masses, that big government is not only wrong, in this country, according to our constitution, it is immoral.

i further suggest that this hollywood production will play a large roll in unseating the president of obama, how ultimately and deliciously ironic. how do you like us now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM

it looks good, no, great.

we conservatives believe in smaller government

and that is why we need laws against pot smoking
and against homosexuality
and divorce
and sex out side of marriage

we conservatives believe in FREEDOM
and homosexuality
and divorce

we conservatives believe the government should stay out of our bedrooms

and homosexuality
and divorce

Well it is a work of fiction you know. Rand had a world view just as you have a world view. The reason it failed to deliver for you is because those world views don't line up. It isn't because her world view is wrong and your's is right. And I don't recall any inconsistency in her portrayal of the public. There wasn't a majority singular view of the general public because that isn't reality. Some people had one set of beliefs while other had another just like the real world. Believe it or not the majority of the country is not liberal. This country is split ideologically pretty much 50/50.

On the contrary what happened in the book very much parllels what is really happening. In the book the producers and manufacturers decided they were tired of being dictated to by overzealous and derisive elements of society......so they left. The only difference is instead of the people leaving to form their own society with the rules they want, they are leaving to other countries to produce what they want.

The point I got from the book is this is what will happen if bearucrats keep punishing the producers, those that provide jobs, and generally treating them as evil and regulating them as such. Those producers may just decide to take their proverbial 'ball' and go elsehwere and then you'll be sorry when there aren't more jobs and there isn't anyone willing to produce the thing you wanted all the while deriding the peope that produced it as evil. That isn't a fairy tale ending. That indeed can and in many cases already has happened.

If anyone feels like they're being abused, they have the choice to continue to take it or to leave. If that person is an employee, they quit and find a new job.

If that person is a mover and shaker, they will do what is required. Companies move to new cities, to new countries or take as much abuse as they can and then go out of business.

Governments who provide enough abuse to those who drive the economy will find that those who are driving things will vanish from the scene. This not a fantasy. It's a cautionary tale.

Forum List

Back