"atlas shrugged" will change the face of american politics

washamericom

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2010
this is your last chance to read the book before the movie comes out.

i have waited my whole life for this. when i was in high school i discovered ayn rand, it changed my life , and much to my delight, would end up in a conservative website framed by objectivism.
i remember thinking, someday, once the internet is invented, this will be my political philosohpy and i will take it to the people..

life imitates art. we are dagney taggert and hank rearden (the protagonists) and the democratic party (led by one barrak obama... if that is your real name), is the government, and "mr. thompson".

you are going to be seeing and hearing and feeling atlas shrugged a lot in the coming time until the 2012 election.

as wonderfual as the original novel is, no, magnificient... the movie will better present to the masses, that big government is not only wrong, in this country, according to our constitution, it is immoral.

i further suggest that this hollywood production will play a large roll in unseating the president of obama, how ultimately and deliciously ironic. how do you like us now.

it looks good, no, great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the book and am now reading it again. I hope the message of the book comes through and is not hijacked by the liberal left that seems to be too prominent in Hollywood. Next to the bible I think this is the best book ever written.

Last edited:
Awesome. I hope liberal hollywood doesn't bastardize it. My favorite book as well. Interesting that it's going to be multiple movies. Then again it's long book. I was looking in the trailer for any indication of the latter part where Dagney spends time in the hidden valley. I'm guessing that probably won't be in the first part.

• Banned
I love the book and am now reading it again. I hope the message of the book comes through and is not hijacked by the liberal left that seems to be too prominent in Hollywood. Next to the bible I think this is the best book ever written.

same here, and part of it's success and longevity is the reaction we will see from the left.
i too wonder if the essence of the philosophy will shine through, i guess if they try to liberalize ayn rand, hollywood will be madison wisconsin, only for all the right reasons... i'll lead the charge. the people will always find the truth, as in the case of the 08 election.

• Banned
Awesome. I hope liberal hollywood doesn't bastardize it. My favorite book as well. Interesting that it's going to be multiple movies. Then again it's long book. I was looking in the trailer for any indication of the latter part where Dagney spends time in the hidden valley. I'm guessing that probably won't be in the first part.

don't give the gulch away for the people who want to read it.
breaking it up is a tremendous concept, bold and daring, like taggert rearden danaskjold, mulligan ...et. al.
i buying stock in signet, and crusader entertainment. this will be a phenominom because it taps so deeply in the the emotion and roots, of the founding fathers philosophy, and the birth of america.

Last edited:
I have the book and am reading it. Because of it's length, 1168 pages of the prophetic wisdom of Ayn Rand, 50 years ago, the movie will be made in three separate productions. Can't wait. I am hoping the Independents will absorb it, for we know the Left will not.

I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged, but the novel, for its purposes, fails to deliver. Rand take unbelievable characters and puts them into unbelievable scenarios, with the result of what is an unbelievable outcome. One thing I found very curious is Rand's inconsistent portrayal of the general public and public sentiment. On one hand she portrays the public as knowing, understanding, and even demanding the ideals represented by her protagonists and shows them as being frequently moved into action, like in the frequent abandonment of jobs, including railroad jobs, by many people across Rand's United States. But when it suits her she subsequently portrays the public as mindless and ignorant masses, lazy and entitled to a such a gross degree it is difficult to say whether they or the primary antagonists are the embodiment of the evil Rand suggests exists.

Rand's proper characters, both antagonists and protagonists alike, are written as if being embodies metaphors for the supreme purity of concepts Rand wished to present. This makes them believable in the Rand universe similar to how Gollum is a believable character within the LOTR universe, but unbelievable as characters that might exist in reality. While Rand does an excellent job of presenting a thoroughly thought out narrative and maintains a steady pace of developing the complexity of the plot as the story unfolds, in the end the plot itself, its developments, and Rand's suggestion about how our world might go if we so allowed it, only exists because it was so written.

I will undoubtably watch it.

If they manage to do justice to the plotline, and spare us on the polemic, this ought to be a damned fine film.

I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged, but the novel, for its purposes, fails to deliver. Rand take unbelievable characters and puts them into unbelievable scenarios, with the result of what is an unbelievable outcome.

Exactly the kind of material Hollywood likes.

I agree with you literary critcism of the novel, but one thing that Ayn did well was craft a plotline that compels the reader to keep reading to to find our what is going on.

If the film does just that it ought to be a decent film.

If they load it down with Ayns tortured polemics, they're ruin the film.

EVen if you agree with every goofy word she puts into the mouths of her characters, that won't work on celluloid.

I will undoubtably watch it.

If they manage to do justice to the plotline, and spare us on the polemic, this ought to be a damned fine film.

Yes is should. It took Rand 12 years to write it and according to a press release from the Ayn Rand Institute, over 7 million copies had been sold by the US publishers as of January 2010, with sales in 2009 along being over 500,000 copies. This presumably does not include sales from other countries, whether in English or translated. There has been a sustained interest in this book for 52 years.

I have long been an Ayn Rand advocate and supporter. There is a movie based on one of her books, "The Fountainhead" and I loved watching it 3 times, from Netflix. Some great actors. Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal ( in her debut performance). HOT movie.

Atlas Shrugged has to be one of the most boring novels ever written. It goes on for over a thousand pages repeating the same thing over and over again. It doesn't have a single fully developed character, only caricatures. Started it in college and wondered why I never finished it. Thirty years later I did and know why. It stinks!!! The book isn't prophetic, it's a political screed masquerading as a novel, a very poor one at that.

Atlas Shrugged has to be one of the most boring novels ever written. It goes on for over a thousand pages repeating the same thing over and over again. It doesn't have a single fully developed character, only caricatures. Started it in college and wondered why I never finished it. Thirty years later I did and know why. It stinks!!! The book isn't prophetic, it's a political screed masquerading as a novel, a very poor one at that.

No doubt Das Kapital was a damn fine read though...

It didn't try to masquerade as a novel. That all you got to say? A "you're a commie" one-liner?!?! Get back to us when you've got something of substance to say. :eusa_hand:

I enjoyed reading Atlas Shrugged, but the novel, for its purposes, fails to deliver. Rand take unbelievable characters and puts them into unbelievable scenarios, with the result of what is an unbelievable outcome. One thing I found very curious is Rand's inconsistent portrayal of the general public and public sentiment. On one hand she portrays the public as knowing, understanding, and even demanding the ideals represented by her protagonists and shows them as being frequently moved into action, like in the frequent abandonment of jobs, including railroad jobs, by many people across Rand's United States. But when it suits her she subsequently portrays the public as mindless and ignorant masses, lazy and entitled to a such a gross degree it is difficult to say whether they or the primary antagonists are the embodiment of the evil Rand suggests exists.

Well it is a work of fiction you know. Rand had a world view just as you have a world view. The reason it failed to deliver for you is because those world views don't line up. It isn't because her world view is wrong and your's is right. And I don't recall any inconsistency in her portrayal of the public. There wasn't a majority singular view of the general public because that isn't reality. Some people had one set of beliefs while other had another just like the real world. Believe it or not the majority of the country is not liberal. This country is split ideologically pretty much 50/50.

Rand's proper characters, both antagonists and protagonists alike, are written as if being embodies metaphors for the supreme purity of concepts Rand wished to present. This makes them believable in the Rand universe similar to how Gollum is a believable character within the LOTR universe, but unbelievable as characters that might exist in reality. While Rand does an excellent job of presenting a thoroughly thought out narrative and maintains a steady pace of developing the complexity of the plot as the story unfolds, in the end the plot itself, its developments, and Rand's suggestion about how our world might go if we so allowed it, only exists because it was so written.

On the contrary what happened in the book very much parllels what is really happening. In the book the producers and manufacturers decided they were tired of being dictated to by overzealous and derisive elements of society......so they left. The only difference is instead of the people leaving to form their own society with the rules they want, they are leaving to other countries to produce what they want.

The point I got from the book is this is what will happen if bearucrats keep punishing the producers, those that provide jobs, and generally treating them as evil and regulating them as such. Those producers may just decide to take their proverbial 'ball' and go elsehwere and then you'll be sorry when there aren't more jobs and there isn't anyone willing to produce the thing you wanted all the while deriding the peope that produced it as evil. That isn't a fairy tale ending. That indeed can and in many cases already has happened.

Last edited:

You got that right.

I had to read that book in High School. I had to finish it and do a book report on it. They would have frowned on a one pager "It Sucks" LOL

I am an avid reader but had all I could do to get through that crappy book.

Jesus. Boredom plus.

It didn't try to masquerade as a novel. That all you got to say? A "you're a commie" one-liner?!?! Get back to us when you've got something of substance to say. :eusa_hand:

i thought it was damn funny... could i still be one of... "us" ??
actually i only read the first 975 pages... why did something happen ??

Last edited:

incredible... you get it... this is gold... you have single handedly defined "the american people"

liberals: mindless and ignorant masses, lazy and entitled to a such a gross degree it is difficult to say whether they or the primary antagonists are the embodiment of the evil Rand suggests exists.

conservatives: knowing, understanding, and even demanding the ideals represented by her protagonists and shows them as being frequently moved into action, like in the frequent abandonment of jobs, including railroad jobs, by many people across Rand's United States.

i'm taking this to madison

Last edited:
John Stossel did a show on Atlas Shrugged. It is on YouTube. Below is the first of 6 parts on YouTube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QmAzEsrtyo"]John Stossel - Atlas Shrugged 1 of 6[/ame]

Forum List

Back