Atlantic Current into Arctic is Warmest in 2000 Years?

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
A recent paper in Science proves yet another 'warmest ever' event in our global warming world-

Science 28 January 2011:
Vol. 331 no. 6016 pp. 450-453
DOI: 10.1126/science.1197397
Enhanced Modern Heat Transfer to the Arctic by Warm Atlantic Water
Robert F. Spielhagen1,2,*, Kirstin Werner2, Steffen Aagaard Sørensen3, Katarzyna Zamelczyk3, Evguenia Kandiano2, Gereon Budeus4, Katrine Husum3, Thomas M. Marchitto5, and Morten Hald3
+ Author Affiliations

1Academy of Sciences, Humanities, and Literature, 53151 Mainz, Germany.
2Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (IFM-GEOMAR), 24148 Kiel, Germany.
3Department of Geology, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway.
4Alfred Wegener Institute of Polar and Marine Research, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany.
5Department of Geological Sciences and Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA.
*E-mail: [email protected]
Abstract
The Arctic is responding more rapidly to global warming than most other areas on our planet. Northward-flowing Atlantic Water is the major means of heat advection toward the Arctic and strongly affects the sea ice distribution. Records of its natural variability are critical for the understanding of feedback mechanisms and the future of the Arctic climate system, but continuous historical records reach back only ~150 years. Here, we present a multidecadal-scale record of ocean temperature variations during the past 2000 years, derived from marine sediments off Western Svalbard (79°N). We find that early–21st-century temperatures of Atlantic Water entering the Arctic Ocean are unprecedented over the past 2000 years and are presumably linked to the Arctic amplification of global warming.

I dont have a subscription so I can't read the paper but it is peer reviewed and all 'sciency' so it must be true, right? a Reuters article on whats happening-

OSLO (Reuters/Alister Doyle) - A North Atlantic current flowing into the Arctic Ocean is warmer than for at least 2,000 years in a sign that global warming is likely to bring ice-free seas around the North Pole in summers, a study showed.

Scientists said that waters at the northern end of the Gulf Stream, between Greenland and the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard, averaged 6 degrees Celsius (42.80F) in recent summers, warmer than at natural peaks during Roman or Medieval times.

"The temperature is unprecedented in the past 2,000 years," lead author Robert Spielhagen of the Academy of Sciences, Humanities and Literature in Mainz, Germany, told Reuters of the study in Friday's edition of the journal Science.

The summer water temperatures, reconstructed from the makeup of tiny organisms buried in sediments in the Fram strait, have risen from an average 5.2 degrees Celsius (41.36F) from 1890-2007 and about 3.4C (38.12F) in the previous 1,900 years.

The findings were a new sign that human activities were stoking modern warming since temperatures are above past warm periods linked to swings in the sun's output that enabled, for instance, the Vikings to farm in Greenland in Medieval times.

Oh my! we are all doomed!!!!

but wait, maybe not! here is an interesting little article from the NOAA archives-

capture6.jpg

and here is the pdf of the 1922 Monthly Weather Review http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/050/mwr-050-11-0589a.pdf

hmmmm.....that odd, an unpresidented event that turns out to be not even the warmest in a hundred years? who is running things at these science journals anyways? nevermind, let's spend a few trillion dollars because the consensus is solid and the science is settled.

It has to be a crock. The north Atlantic from 900-1300 ad was 2-4c above today. It is the one part of the world that I'm sure was warmer then today. Greenland was the same. Even James Hansen admits that these areas where warmer then today, while believing that a large part of the rest of the planet was not as warm. That is of course up to debate...But Greenland and the northern Atlantic is not and this paper tries to say that even that was not as warm...I disagree. What a crock.

The earth was more inclined towards the poles during this period, so more of the suns energy then today was focused within this area then today, Should be warmer. In I think it was because wine was grown very far north during this period and farms within Greenland. The natural cycles where more favorable towards a warmer arctic, Greenland and north Atlantic.

Last edited:
I don't know if its true or not, but I bet that thermometer from the year 10 AD is worth some major change on Ebay!

YACOS

Yet Another Crock Of Shit

It has to be a crock. The north Atlantic from 900-1300 ad was 2-4c above today. It is the one part of the world that I'm sure was warmer then today. Greenland was the same. Even James Hansen admits that these areas where warmer then today, while believing that a large part of the rest of the planet was not as warm. That is of course up to debate...But Greenland and the northern Atlantic is not and this paper tries to say that even that was not as warm...I disagree. What a crock.

The earth was more inclined towards the poles during this period, so more of the suns energy then today was focused within this area then today, Should be warmer. In I think it was because wine was grown very far north during this period and farms within Greenland. The natural cycles where more favorable towards a warmer arctic, Greenland and north Atlantic.

You are confusing Greenland and Iceland.

You are confusing Greenland and Iceland.

Nope, both where far warmer then today. http://www.skepticalscience.com/images/Temperature_Pattern_MWP.gif

Figure 1: Reconstructed surface temperature anomaly for Medieval Warm Period (950 to 1250 A.D.), relative to the 1961– 1990 reference period. Gray areas indicates regions where adequate temperature data are unavailable.

blog_2000%20Years%20of%20Global%20Temps,%20Graph.jpg

A recent paper in Science proves yet another 'warmest ever' event in our global warming world-

Science 28 January 2011:
Vol. 331 no. 6016 pp. 450-453
DOI: 10.1126/science.1197397
Enhanced Modern Heat Transfer to the Arctic by Warm Atlantic Water
Robert F. Spielhagen1,2,*, Kirstin Werner2, Steffen Aagaard Sørensen3, Katarzyna Zamelczyk3, Evguenia Kandiano2, Gereon Budeus4, Katrine Husum3, Thomas M. Marchitto5, and Morten Hald3
+ Author Affiliations

1Academy of Sciences, Humanities, and Literature, 53151 Mainz, Germany.
2Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (IFM-GEOMAR), 24148 Kiel, Germany.
3Department of Geology, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway.
4Alfred Wegener Institute of Polar and Marine Research, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany.
5Department of Geological Sciences and Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA.
*E-mail: [email protected]
Abstract
The Arctic is responding more rapidly to global warming than most other areas on our planet. Northward-flowing Atlantic Water is the major means of heat advection toward the Arctic and strongly affects the sea ice distribution. Records of its natural variability are critical for the understanding of feedback mechanisms and the future of the Arctic climate system, but continuous historical records reach back only ~150 years. Here, we present a multidecadal-scale record of ocean temperature variations during the past 2000 years, derived from marine sediments off Western Svalbard (79°N). We find that early–21st-century temperatures of Atlantic Water entering the Arctic Ocean are unprecedented over the past 2000 years and are presumably linked to the Arctic amplification of global warming.

I dont have a subscription so I can't read the paper but it is peer reviewed and all 'sciency' so it must be true, right? a Reuters article on whats happening-

OSLO (Reuters/Alister Doyle) - A North Atlantic current flowing into the Arctic Ocean is warmer than for at least 2,000 years in a sign that global warming is likely to bring ice-free seas around the North Pole in summers, a study showed.

Scientists said that waters at the northern end of the Gulf Stream, between Greenland and the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard, averaged 6 degrees Celsius (42.80F) in recent summers, warmer than at natural peaks during Roman or Medieval times.

"The temperature is unprecedented in the past 2,000 years," lead author Robert Spielhagen of the Academy of Sciences, Humanities and Literature in Mainz, Germany, told Reuters of the study in Friday's edition of the journal Science.

The summer water temperatures, reconstructed from the makeup of tiny organisms buried in sediments in the Fram strait, have risen from an average 5.2 degrees Celsius (41.36F) from 1890-2007 and about 3.4C (38.12F) in the previous 1,900 years.

The findings were a new sign that human activities were stoking modern warming since temperatures are above past warm periods linked to swings in the sun's output that enabled, for instance, the Vikings to farm in Greenland in Medieval times.

Oh my! we are all doomed!!!!

but wait, maybe not! here is an interesting little article from the NOAA archives-

capture6.jpg

and here is the pdf of the 1922 Monthly Weather Review http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/050/mwr-050-11-0589a.pdf

hmmmm.....that odd, an unpresidented event that turns out to be not even the warmest in a hundred years? who is running things at these science journals anyways? nevermind, let's spend a few trillion dollars because the consensus is solid and the science is settled.

don't worry, now that Olbermann works for Gore, he'll be long any minute to explain.

Forum List

Back