Atlanta's Yellow Line Has Some Asians Seeing Red

Its a freakin color. Who cares?

I doubt it's the Asians. My experience of the community as a whole is that they aren't particularly thin-skinned on the subject of racism, and often have trouble understanding why we consider it such a big deal. The closer in generation they are to immigration (ie. newly arrived or the children thereof), the less they understand political correctness. Obviously, I can't say for sure, but I suspect it has something to do with how community-oriented, versus individual-oriented, Asian societies seem to be. It makes more sense to them to attribute characteristics to someone based on the community from which he comes.

No, the Asians here are bitching and I don't blame them.

Hardly.

Here's the breakdown:

MARTA was considering a switchover to color-coding in September, when during a meeting the manager of equal opportunity and conflict resolution (an Asian) said it wasn't a good idea to name the line the "Yellow Line". MARTA conducted some interviews with locals in the area, and the feedback they received from the Asians they interviewed was "meh, who cares".

The manager of equal opportunity and conflict resolution (helluva title) left the transit authority and moved to Washington State. Before doing so, he contacted the group "Center for Pan Asian Community Services", an Asian-American activist group. Like most activists, they started making a stink.

So MARTA then conducted another community forum, and the feedback from the Asian community was.... again.... "meh, who cares".

So then The Center for Pan Asian Community Services is continuing to make a stink, and is having a meeting with the MARTA CEO on Friday. The CEO will probably cave, because she has stressed that is "ready to listen".

MARTA ‘yellow line' to Doraville angers some in Asian community | ajc.com

"MARTA is an extremely important part of our community," said Helen Kim, the nonprofit Pan Asian center's advocacy director. "It's our public transit system and we’re very supportive of it. So we’re not at the point where we just want to hear a sound bite from MARTA and shake hands. We want them to show us that they sincerely want to change the name."

Translation: We're going to continue to whine and make you waste more taxpayer and users money until you do something about it.

Last edited:
Here's the breakdown:

MARTA was considering a switchover to color-coding in September, when during a meeting the manager of equal opportunity and conflict resolution (an Asian) said it wasn't a good idea to name the line the "Yellow Line". MARTA conducted some interviews with locals in the area, and the feedback they received from the Asians they interviewed was "meh, who cares".

The manager of equal opportunity and conflict resolution (helluva title) left the transit authority and moved to Washington State. Before doing so, he contacted the group "Center for Pan Asian Community Services", an Asian-American activist group. Like most activists, they started making a stink.

So MARTA then conducted another community forum, and the feedback from the Asian community was.... again.... "meh, who cares".

So then The Center for Pan Asian Community Services is continuing to make a stink, and is having a meeting with the MARTA CEO on Friday. The CEO will probably cave, because she has stressed that is "ready to listen".

"MARTA is an extremely important part of our community," said Helen Kim, the nonprofit Pan Asian center's advocacy director. "It's our public transit system and we’re very supportive of it. So we’re not at the point where we just want to hear a sound bite from MARTA and shake hands. We want them to show us that they sincerely want to change the name."

Translation: We're going to continue to whine and make you waste more taxpayer and users money until you do something about it.

Okay, now can you explain to me what's derogatory and insulting about the color yellow? I always thought it was rather pretty. :eusa_eh: :confused:

The PCC shuttle bus service also has color coded routes.

And yes, the Yellow line serves the most asian part of town.

Most of the asians are pretty mellow. All they seem to care about is that the bus is free and it gets you from SE campus to Sylvania campus in 40 minutes. Which is all I care about too. Also that it stops on 47th ave, so I don't have to walk all the way to 82nd AVE to catch it.

(And when you get on that bus, it is about 60% asians riding it. Way out proportion to the city population as a whole)

Here's the breakdown:

Okay, now can you explain to me what's derogatory and insulting about the color yellow? I always thought it was rather pretty. :eusa_eh: :confused:

2 Answers:

If you are serious: Goes back to the "Yellow Peril" racist hatemongering scare in the 19th century.

If you are not: I dunno, go ask the nips. I'm part wop, red-man, paddy, hill-billy and frog, but no slope in me that I'm aware of.

In this case it is professional whiners.

But given US history, it was stupid and insensitive.
They didn't have to go that way, they knew it might be an issue.

Maybe they can call it the gold line instead?

Here's the breakdown:

2 Answers:

If you are serious: Goes back to the "Yellow Peril" racist hatemongering scare in the 19th century.

If you are not: I dunno, go ask the nips. I'm part wop, red-man, paddy, hill-billy and frog, but no slope in me that I'm aware of.

Yeah, I'm serious. Seems to me that the word "Peril" is the derogatory part of that phrase, not the "Yellow". And anyway, who the hell remembers the 19th century?

My husband is Chinese, and yeah, his skin is yellow. Doesn't seem any more insulting to me to point that out than to point out that his hair is black. It just is. In fact, it's one of the reasons I think yellow is such a nice color.

Besides, it'd certainly make it easy to remember where the Yellow Line goes, wouldn't it?

Forum List

Back