Atlanta Ordeal Increases Book Sales

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Spiritual Book Revived by Ordeal
The Purpose Driven Life sees jump in sales.

By David Mehegan, The Boston Globe, March 18, 2005

The power of a religious appeal was displayed vividly recently in Atlanta, as the gutsy hostage of Brian Nichols, the accused courthouse killer, appeared to calm him down by reading a passage from a spiritual bestseller.

It was no ordinary book, Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?, the book of Christian spiritual exercises, employing verses from the Bible and meant to be read over 40 days, has sold more than 21 million copies since October 2002. Since the dramatic events of last Friday, sales have leaped again.

In interviews, the hostage, Ashley Smith, has said she read aloud from Warren's book to Nichols, who had taken her captive after allegedly killing a judge and three others.

Smith said Nichols had asked her to repeat a passage about service to others, and she said she suggested to him that his acts might have a purpose -- that by disseminating God's word in prison, "you can go to jail and save more people than you killed."

for full story: http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/229917-2056-047.html

My mother in law got an e-mail yesterday from a national Christian bookstore. The e-mail started out highlighting Ashley Smith and Rick Warren appearing on the Today show (or some similar show). It then proceeded to offer The Purpose Driven Life on sale, one day only, at a Very Special Price! My mother-in-law replied with a pretty scathing e-mail... she thought it was pretty tasteless.

You know I have no doubt that the books are very good. But I cant help but think that if people want to find true power to change their lives and find happiness they need to turn straight to the scriptures.

I guarantee you that The Purpose Driven Life will scoot them in that direction--toward reading the scriptures. It's a really great book. If you have not read it yet, it is well worth your time, as evidenced by the number of years it has been on the NYT best-seller list.

Totally agree. It really helps you focus your life, and definitely points you to the Bible.

Forum List

Back