Atlanta Ordeal Increases Book Sales

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Adam's Apple, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Spiritual Book Revived by Ordeal
    The Purpose Driven Life sees jump in sales.

By David Mehegan, The Boston Globe, March 18, 2005

The power of a religious appeal was displayed vividly recently in Atlanta, as the gutsy hostage of Brian Nichols, the accused courthouse killer, appeared to calm him down by reading a passage from a spiritual bestseller.

It was no ordinary book, Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?, the book of Christian spiritual exercises, employing verses from the Bible and meant to be read over 40 days, has sold more than 21 million copies since October 2002. Since the dramatic events of last Friday, sales have leaped again.

In interviews, the hostage, Ashley Smith, has said she read aloud from Warren's book to Nichols, who had taken her captive after allegedly killing a judge and three others.

Smith said Nichols had asked her to repeat a passage about service to others, and she said she suggested to him that his acts might have a purpose -- that by disseminating God's word in prison, "you can go to jail and save more people than you killed."

for full story: http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/229917-2056-047.html

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yeah, Brian Nichols had a purpose. It was to blow away as many crackers as he could!

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    My mother in law got an e-mail yesterday from a national Christian bookstore. The e-mail started out highlighting Ashley Smith and Rick Warren appearing on the Today show (or some similar show). It then proceeded to offer The Purpose Driven Life on sale, one day only, at a Very Special Price! My mother-in-law replied with a pretty scathing e-mail... she thought it was pretty tasteless.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,173
    You know I have no doubt that the books are very good. But I cant help but think that if people want to find true power to change their lives and find happiness they need to turn straight to the scriptures.

5. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I guarantee you that The Purpose Driven Life will scoot them in that direction--toward reading the scriptures. It's a really great book. If you have not read it yet, it is well worth your time, as evidenced by the number of years it has been on the NYT best-seller list.

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Totally agree. It really helps you focus your life, and definitely points you to the Bible.