Atheists

“I’m not saying that Cecil Bothwell is not a good man, but if he’s an atheist, he’s not eligible to serve in public office, according to the state constitution,” said H.K. Edgerton, a former Asheville NAACP president.

Article 6, section 8 of the state constitution says: “The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.”

It’s true — There are several state constitutions which hold such provisions: Arkansas, Maryland, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and North Carolina.

But none of these laws are truly enforceable. They’re all (obviously) unconstitutional.

Friendly Atheist » Atheist Elected to Office Cannot Legally Serve

Minneapolis, Minnesota: First-grader Michael Bristor, an atheist, was denied an honor roll certificate when he refused to participate in an unconstitutional “prayer time” at a public school. For three years, administrators ignored the family’s complaints until a lawsuit was filed.

Discrimination Against Atheists: The Facts

Sky let's just say I don't go out of my way to let people at work know that I'm atheist. I'm quite confident it would affect my chances at a promotion and growing within the company.

I'm not really reserved about it outside of work, but certainly not as outspoken as I'd like to be. I'll never be offended by anyone talking up christianity or their belief in God, but you can sure bet the majority of people you walk passed throughout the day would be offended by me talking up my atheism.

Not believing in religion is not a religion

I believe several of our Presidents have been either atheists or had vague beliefs in a higher power

Some of them..

Obama
Reagan
Nixon
LBJ
FDR

and many of our Founding Fathers

I want to discuss a few things with you. I'm considered an atheist by some, because I don't believe in God.

By atheists, I'm not considered one, because I practice Buddhism, a non-theistic spiritual path.

What is your experience being atheist in America? Bush I said atheists shouldn't be citizens or hold public office. It is doubtful an atheist could be elected POTUS in the US.

Some people say atheism is a religion because of it's non-beliefs.

What do you say?

1. There are different degrees or "denominations" of atheism (as with feminism, communism or any other types of religious, political or philosophical views)
2. There is a difference between
a. believing "there is not a God"
b. not believing "there is a God"
c. not believing in the Personified God of Christians or other Deists
d. being "anti-Theist" or more against religious theology (especially if one truly does not believe in any God, but is reacting against those are who are preaching there is one)
3. Regarding what constitutes a religion, in order to be fair to all people's beliefs, whether secular or religious, political or personal, philosophical economic or social, I interpret "free exercise of religion" in the First Amendment as applying to anyone's beliefs and what they do or do not consent to. Otherwise, if we only protected people's views that were part of an identified organized religion, that would be discriminating or putting the govt in the business of deciding whose beliefs constitute a religion or not, and I believe that is problematic. By equal protection of the laws, Amendment 14, I prefer that policies or decisions respect and include all parties beliefs that are affected; and that is why I believe in conflict resolution, mediation and consensus on decisions (especially where religious differences are involved) is necessary to avoid imposing discrimination or bias by govt.

In the United States, seven state constitutions officially include religious tests that would effectively prevent atheists from holding public office, and in some cases being a juror/witness, though these have not generally been enforced since the early nineteenth century.
Encyclopedia of American civil liberties - Google Books

Isn't taking an oath of office to uphold the Constitution equally religious?
Look at these principles:
ethics-commission.net

You can't get away from beliefs, whether it's secular laws or religious.
Any views about what is truth, what is justice, what is a fair punishment for a crime,
what is a fair policy for the "greater good of the nation" invokes faith and beliefs!

The issue is really whether we CONSENT to the laws and interpretations of the govt.

We agree on laws making murder illegal, but we don't all agree on abortion or the death penalty.

Even all these atheist groups that file lawsuits in court, consent to dates on their filings using AD 2011 which has a religious foundation. But now it's considered secular as CE 2011 or whatever. So as long as we accept to adopt a tradition as secular, then it's not objected to as religious. Only if we disagree then we blame it on religious or political agenda we don't consent to. We have that right under the Constitution so long as we respect the same for all.
Where we become hypocrites is when we agree to impose policies that "other people don't consent to" (like abortion or marriage laws) but when this happens to us we protest!

Again this is why I urge the standard of consensus on policies that involve religious differences. To prevent from imposing a bias by "majority rule" or judicial decision
that parties affected don't consent to religiously, and thus creates an unconstitutional breach of equal protection of interests and representation in public policy. I have higher standards than what is considered lawful use of majority rule and judicial rulings to imposed bias laws.

Last edited:
As an Athiest I am baffled by the absurdity of religion (belief in God ). I find no merit to the claims made by " believers". I'm astounded that here in the 21 centry so many hang on to a bronz age mentality. So much so, that it is an "unofficial" prerequisite for public office. Personally I question anybody that would denie sound evidence of truth in favor of devout superstition.

I have always though of Budism as more of a philosophy rather that a religion.

I am a Christian and do not consider atheism to be any kind of religion or faith, at least not in the same way as I see my own faith. My faith is something that serves me well in times of trouble, something that I draw strength and comfort from. I've never known a non-belief to provide anything like that.

I do have atheist friends and co-workers and I do not think they consider their non-belief to be any sort of religion.

Not believing in religion is not a religion

I believe several of our Presidents have been either atheists or had vague beliefs in a higher power

Some of them..

Obama
Reagan
Nixon
LBJ
FDR

and many of our Founding Fathers

I agree

It perplexes me when people use quotes by a founder like Thomas Jefferson to try and prove some sort of Christian political point. The man didn't believe in the Deity of Christ

I am a Christian and do not consider atheism to be any kind of religion or faith, at least not in the same way as I see my own faith. My faith is something that serves me well in times of trouble, something that I draw strength and comfort from. I've never known a non-belief to provide anything like that.

I do have atheist friends and co-workers and I do not think they consider their non-belief to be any sort of religion.

I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday. I just reached a point in my early teens where I said...."This stuff doesn't seem real to me". I didn't choose to be an atheist, the choice was made for me

You either have faith or you don't. You may fool those around you but if there is in fact a God, he would know whether you truly believe or just want others to think that you believe

Last edited:
I want to discuss a few things with you. I'm considered an atheist by some, because I don't believe in God.

By atheists, I'm not considered one, because I practice Buddhism, a non-theistic spiritual path.

What is your experience being atheist in America? Bush I said atheists shouldn't be citizens or hold public office. It is doubtful an atheist could be elected POTUS in the US.

What do you say?

All the Christians are wrong because they don't know the truth, either. So don't let religious people influence your mind. Their gods come by way of imagination based on the Bible and what their false prophets tell them. That's why there's so many religions and denominations that come from their own interpretations of the scriptures. The scriptures were only meant for God to interpret, not man.

I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday. I just reached a point in my early teens where I said...."This stuff doesn't seem real to me". I didn't choose to be an atheist, the choice was made for me

You either have faith or you don't. You may fool those around you but if there is in fact a God, he would know whether you truly believe or just want others to think that you believe

God made you an atheist? How strange!!! :lol:

Maybe not God

But the Catholic Church sure helped

Actually, if you believe that "decision theology" is a false belief and that it is God himself who chooses who will be saved and who will not, then it is not all that "strange".

Immie

If you believe in anything that is NOT science based (and spiritualism is not science) then you are a BELIEVER.

What I want to know is why atheists are such big whining crybabies?

On the internet there are more atheists posting attacks on believers than believers attacking atheism.

Here's a thought...don't believe if you don't wanna.

How hard is that?

What do you say?

Atheists don't exist. Those who call themselves Atheists are just lying to themselves.

What do you say?

Atheists don't exist. Those who call themselves Atheists are just lying to themselves.

And many Christians who say they truly believe are lying also

Forum List

Back