Atheists

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
I want to discuss a few things with you. I'm considered an atheist by some, because I don't believe in God.

By atheists, I'm not considered one, because I practice Buddhism, a non-theistic spiritual path.

What is your experience being atheist in America? Bush I said atheists shouldn't be citizens or hold public office. It is doubtful an atheist could be elected POTUS in the US.

Some people say atheism is a religion because of it's non-beliefs.

What do you say?

Attributed by Robert I. Sherman, reporting in American Atheist about a public press conference Bush held at O'Hare Airport on 27 August 1987.[1] No other journalist confirmed that Bush made the remark.

Attributed by Robert I. Sherman, reporting in American Atheist about a public press conference Bush held at O'Hare Airport on 27 August 1987.[1] No other journalist confirmed that Bush made the remark.
Ahh, good old second-hand stuff. And Sherman, hardly biased! :lmao:

So you practice Buddism but don't believe Buddha to be a deity?
Sounds as if you're Buddist to me.

And Yes I'd also like to see where you are getting your information on Bush's alleged comment on Atheists.

• Banned
Bush I said atheists shouldn't be citizens or hold public office.
I'd LOVE to see a source for this.

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice-president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates, had the following exchange with then-Vice-President Bush.

Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.

George H. W. Bush: "Atheists Neither Citizens Nor Patriots

This document is a letter that Jon Murray sent to every Member of Congress on February 21, 1990. In this letter, Mr. Murray describes the news conference that I attended, quotes exactly the conversation between Mr. Bush and myself, and then states:

Subsequent to these astonishing statements, I wrote to (then) Vice President Bush demanding a clarification of these remarks. More than two months later, on February 21, 1989, C. Boyden Gray, Counsel to the President, wrote to me from the White House as follows:

"Your letter of December 19, 1988, to President Bush has been referred to me for reply. As you are aware, the President is a religious man who neither supports atheism nor believes that atheism should be unnecessarily encouraged or supported by the government. Needless to say, the President supports the Constitution and laws of the United States, and you may rest assured that this Administration will proceed at all times with due regard for the legal rights of atheists, as will as others with whom the President disagrees."

This letter was a clear admission by the President, through his counsel, that he had indeed made the remarks and was not backing down from them.

Documents Prove Bush Questioned Citizenship of Atheists

Last edited:
Bush I said atheists shouldn't be citizens or hold public office.

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice-president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. ~blah blah blah~

It's alleged. See JBeukema's post. There's only a CLAIM this was ever said. It's not fact. In front of a couple dozen witnesses with tape recorders, and only the Atheist writer caught it?

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice-president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. ~blah blah blah~

It's alleged. See JBeukema's post. There's only a CLAIM this was ever said. It's not fact. In front of a couple dozen witnesses with tape recorders, and only the Atheist writer caught it?

I just provided a letter by Bush's counsel. The letter further support the allegation.

By the way, in answer to the OP: In my experience many people claiming to be "Atheists" are actually just anti-Christian bigots using the title as a cover. Many people claiming to be Buddhists are just the same bigots.... The writer of the OP included and even has admitted so.

I just provided a letter by Bush's counsel. The letter further support the allegation.
It does not. For anyone who can read and comprehend 4th grade English. That wouldn't be you. The rest of the editorializing is just spin.

Five Tips on How to Spot an Atheist

Usually Atheists are pale of skin.

Atheists are overweight.

Atheists have too many university diplomas!

Atheists Deceive! Atheists go under many different names. They call themselves, "humanists, agnostics, secular-humanists, moral relativists, , free-thinkers, undecided, Unitarians, and more recently, Brights Also be warned, Wiccans , Vegans, Yogists, and readers of science fiction are either Atheists or on the road to becoming an Atheist.

Atheists are afraid!

Copyright 1998-2009, Americhrist Ltd. All rights reserved. Terms of Service
How Report Atheists to the FBI

JTHM_OMG_its_GOD.jpg

stolen from devart

Yes letters. It's not like tape recorders had been invented in 1987.
To say at a press conference of the Vice President of the United States there were not recordings is to suggest a grand conspriacy. Which is malarky.

On October 29, 1988, Mr. Sherman had a confrontation with Ed Murnane, cochairman of the Bush-Quayle '88 Illinois campaign. This concerned a law-suit Mr. Sherman had filed to stop the Community Consolidated School District 21 (Chicago, Illinois, suburb) from forcing his first-grade Atheist son to pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States "one nation under God" (Bush's phrase). The following conversation took place.

Sherman: American Atheists filed the Pledge of Allegiance lawsuit yesterday. Does the Bush campaign have an official response to this filing?

Murnane: It's bullshit.

Sherman: What is bullshit?

Murnane: Everything that American Atheists does, Rob, is bullshit.

Sherman: Thank you for telling me what the official position of the Bush campaign is on this issue.

Murnane: You're welcome.

AANews, The George Bush Controversy

To say at a press conference of the Vice President of the United States there were not recordings is to suggest a grand conspriacy. Which is malarky.

It's entirely possible this is mere urban legend.

It's entirely possible this is mere urban legend.

Think I'll start a thread about who was at fault when the kid on the playground in the 70's ate a whole package of "poprocks" at once, chugged a soda and his stomach exploded. ;)

Forum List

Back