Atheists want to ban the word "heaven"

The last Crusade and the Inquisition ended more than 700 years ago. There were small pockets of injustices done in the name of the Church in Spain's conquest of the American southwest more than 400 years ago and in Colonial America some 260 years ago. Since that time there have been no conquests, massacres, or broad based punative measures of any kind advocated by the Christian Church anywhere. Those who have gone to war have not done so in the name of the Church.

Just this past week Egyptians were burning Christian Churches because of rumors that az new church building would be built. Radical Muslims are pledged to destroy all infidels in the name of Allah. In the 20th Century totalitarian leaders banned all religion, most especially Judaism and Christianity, and massacred millions.

The vast majority of the world's orphanages, free hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools provided for the world's poorest people, leper colonies, and other ministries of mercy and relief are funded and staffed by Christians.

Those who want to paint Christians as the blood thirsty evil people of the world are not only prejudicial and ignorant, they are bigots.

And this atheist pretty much single handedly keeps the food bank going at the local church.

The last Crusade and the Inquisition ended more than 700 years ago. There were small pockets of injustices done in the name of the Church in Spain's conquest of the American southwest more than 400 years ago and in Colonial America some 260 years ago. Since that time there have been no conquests, massacres, or broad based punative measures of any kind advocated by the Christian Church anywhere. Those who have gone to war have not done so in the name of the Church.

Just this past week Egyptians were burning Christian Churches because of rumors that az new church building would be built. Radical Muslims are pledged to destroy all infidels in the name of Allah. In the 20th Century totalitarian leaders banned all religion, most especially Judaism and Christianity, and massacred millions.

The vast majority of the world's orphanages, free hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools provided for the world's poorest people, leper colonies, and other ministries of mercy and relief are funded and staffed by Christians.

Those who want to paint Christians as the blood thirsty evil people of the world are not only prejudicial and ignorant, they are bigots.

And this atheist pretty much single handedly keeps the food bank going at the local church.

But the telling part is that the food bank IS at the local church. I don't know of many (any?) orphanages, free hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools provided for the world's poorest people, food banks, thrift shops, leper colonies and other ministries of mercy and relief that are founded, funded, and staffed by Atheists. I do know a few Atheists who are motivated to lend a hand now and then--I've recruited a few personally--but such seem to be the exception more than the rule.

But the telling part is that the food bank IS at the local church. I don't know of many (any?) orphanages, free hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools provided for the world's poorest people, food banks, thrift shops, leper colonies and other ministries of mercy and relief that are founded, funded, and staffed by Atheists. I do know a few Atheists who are motivated to lend a hand now and then--I've recruited a few personally--but such seem to be the exception more than the rule.

Umm Welfare, Chips, WIC Medicaid,Medicare, etc.
From our govt which is by constitution non religious.

Atheists except for a few nuts do not organize into groups so comparing them to organized religion is non valid for this purpose.

Last edited:

Atheists except for a few nuts do not organize into groups so comparing them to organized religion is non valid for this purpose.

Damn... 6.2 million hits on teh googlez...

Looks like more than a few nuts...

I bet among all Presidents, Senators, Congresspeople who have ever been elected and served during the history of this country, you can certainly count any professed Atheists in the lot on one hand. Almost all profess Judaism or some Christian denomination as their religion.

So your comment is non sequitur at best.

That's a ridiculous parallel...welfare, wic, medicaid, all those are funded by citizens of all faiths and beliefs, including the religious which in this country outnumber atheists.

We have a resource referral system in Oregon that is a number that people can call for any sort of referral...a centralized system that works with all helping organizations. 85 percent of the referrals they make are to faith-based organizations.

mmmmm, Irving Berlin's hit on the hit list?

"Cheek to Cheek"
music and words by Irving Berlin

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek.

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And the cares that hung around me through the week,
Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek.

Oh, I love to climb a mountain,
And to reach the highest peak.
But it doesn't thrill me half as much
As dancing cheek to cheek.

Oh, I love to go out fishing
In a river or a creek.
But I don't enjoy it half as much
As dancing cheek to cheek.

Dance with me! I want my arms about you.
The charms about you
Will carry me through to...

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek​

Top 10 songs about Heaven

Since we can only add a little dialog from any given at any website, here's my fave on account of its background (and the performer ain't bad :) ) :

4. Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton — Written when his grief for his deceased 5-year-old son was still fresh, Clapton refuses to be comforted by easy sentiment about being re-united with our loved ones in heaven. Instead he questions whether we will be transformed unrecognizably by the experience of death. “Would you know my name,” he asks his son, “if I saw you in heaven?”

Eric, you gonna see that beautiful boy, and he will know your name is "dad".

Last edited:

This is so anecdotal that it might as well be deemed off-topic. I'm not going to challenge your personal beliefs, but as far as making a point, well. Let's not encourage this kind of argumentation.

This is so anecdotal that it might as well be deemed off-topic. I'm not going to challenge your personal beliefs, but as far as making a point, well. Let's not encourage this kind of argumentation.

Er..fuckchops? She's responding to dumbass' off topic spasming about single handedly feeding all the poor people.

The argumentation was quite on point had you left the quote in its context. The fact that you pulled it out of context and then attempted to show it as anecdotal does call your method of argumentation into serious question as to both honesty and relevance.

Forum List

Back