Atheists Most Knowledgeable About Religion

This was funny, too:DDemocrats score better than Republicans on the survey by a slim but statistically
significant margin of half a question, all else held equal. Self-described liberals score
better than self-described conservatives by 0.8 questions.

Democrats are more likely to believe that Jesus will return by 2050, according to PEW.

So now that they finally posted a link (and no, when I first read the story this morning, there wasn't a link to the actual survey easily available), we can discuss what they think is important religious knowledge to have.

What religion was Mother Theresa? Anyone want to tell me what possible relevance to the practice of religion that has?

What was Joseph Smith's religion? Same question.

What religion do most people in Pakistan consider themselves? World politics question.

What was the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Protestant Reformation? History question.

Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening? Ditto.

You answered 14 out of 15 questions correctly
for a score of 93%.

If they'd asked me about Jonathan Edwards' most famous sermon, I could tell them THAT. And it still wouldn't be a religious question.

Pretty much what I expected: a bunch of trivia that has nothing to do with practicing whatever religion you espouse, and minor questions about practice that are available in the news and would be more likely to be internalized by people with an axe to grind against religion than by people with a live-and-let-live attitude toward other faiths. Despite the need of sixty different news organizations to lead off the morning chortling about how "atheists know more about religion than religious people", none of it actually required any of those atheists to really learn anything. All they had to do was obsess over every mention of religion in the daily news.

The only reason I know half of the answers is I pay attention to current events. I am pretty sure that those are not in the Bible, but i could have missed it. People are always telling me there are things there that I have never seen.

Why good does learning what different people think Santa or the Tooth Fairy looks like do?

What good does claiming that eugenics is science do The way I look at it believing in the tooth fairy that is a lot less dangerous than believing in eugenics.

You answered 14 out of 15 questions correctly
for a score of 93%.

15. Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening?
wrong.gif
Charles Finney Jonathan Edwards 11
:redface:

Making the rounds of the media is the just released PEW Religious Survey Results.

Conclusion, Americans are religiously illiterate, ( I've overstated it a bit).

After several tries I was able to take the 15 question survey and scored 12 right.

I miss three questions about Hindu and Buddaism. Oh Well, at least I knew when the Sabath began and I'm not Jewish, but I did stay at a motel 6 recently.

Regards,

Threads Merged

I got them all right. It actually helped that I knew who Finney was, so I got that one through process of elimination.

I know Finney and Edwards. It was the name "First Great Awakening" that I was shaky on.

This atheist got 14 out of 15 correct

I think Christians are afraid to learn about other religions. They think they will be sent straight to hell

Religion depends on the gullability of people.

Questioning and curious minds are taboo.

Making the rounds of the media is the just released PEW Religious Survey Results.

Conclusion, Americans are religiously illiterate, ( I've overstated it a bit).

After several tries I was able to take the 15 question survey and scored 12 right.

I miss three questions about Hindu and Buddaism. Oh Well, at least I knew when the Sabath began and I'm not Jewish, but I did stay at a motel 6 recently.

Regards,

Threads Merged

I got them all right. It actually helped that I knew who Finney was, so I got that one through process of elimination.

I know Finney and Edwards. It was the name "First Great Awakening" that I was shaky on.

Finney was the Second great awakening:)

Im not that familiar with him, but i have read some of Edwards in my book called "The First Great awakening" great read though it was tough on some points just because grammar was so bad back then. It was like reading some posts of our less grammatically inclined posters.

Which is, of course, why the religious people are the ones encouraging people to learn about one another and the non-religious are the ones questioning why they should bother learning about people around them.

And which is why the non-religious people keep trying to pretend the debate over their pet issues is over without bothering to answer a single question or concern.

Which is, of course, why the religious people are the ones encouraging people to learn about one another and the non-religious are the ones questioning why they should bother learning about people around them.

And which is why the non-religious people keep trying to pretend the debate over their pet issues is over without bothering to answer a single question or concern.

And yet atheists outscored Christians on religious knowledge

This atheist got 14 out of 15 correct

I think Christians are afraid to learn about other religions. They think they will be sent straight to hell

I think atheists are afraid to REALLY learn about ANY religion. That's why they take college classes about history and global politics and then pretend it's "religious knowledge".

And yet atheists outscored Christians on religious knowledge

No, dumbfuck, they didn't. I already made this point abundantly. They outscored Christians on TRIVIA questions about history and politics. "What religion was Mother Theresa?" Seriously? How is that a question about the practice of religion? Jonathan Edwards and the First Great Awakening? What religon are most of the people of Pakistan?

Get a fucking grip.

Forum List

Back