Atheists Most Knowledgeable About Religion

I'd say that pretty much makes perfect sense, since most cultures tend to have a fairly significant religious population, and breaking the barrier of what one is taught in childhood requires that one questions and informs himself to make his own decisions apart from societal expectations.

I'd say that pretty much makes perfect sense, since most cultures tend to have a fairly significant religious population, and breaking the barrier of what one is taught in childhood requires that one questions and informs himself to make his own decisions apart from societal expectations.

Couldn't agree more.

Buried in the article, cause we wouldn't want to confuse anyone. :lol:

Not surprisingly, those who said they attended worship at least once a week and considered religion important in their lives often performed better on the overall survey.

Not surprisingly, those who said they attended worship at least once a week and considered religion important in their lives often performed better on the overall survey.

Well yeah, that makes sense too. People that actually participate know more then those who don't. I wonder what the break down is of people who identify themselves as religious but dont go to Church/temple/etc versus those who do.

Well yeah, that makes sense too. People that actually participate know more then those who don't. I wonder what the break down is of people who identify themselves as religious but dont go to Church/temple/etc versus those who do.

That's the antithesis to the title of your thread tho, so which is it?

Atheists on the whole know more about religion than people who identify themselves as religious. However, not all people who identify themselves as religious actually attend worship services. That's the difference.

Atheists on the whole know more about religion than people who identify themselves as religious. However, not all people who identify themselves as religious actually attend worship services. That's the difference.

I would say that atheists know more about the generalities of religion as it relates to whether or not it is a reasonable choice, but when it comes to knowing the specifics of various doctrine, I would expect that they know much less. Their primary goal is probably to make a decision on whether or not they choose to believe, rather than choosing what doctrine to follow.

Making the rounds of the media is the just released PEW Religious Survey Results.

Conclusion, Americans are religiously illiterate, ( I've overstated it a bit).

After several tries I was able to take the 15 question survey and scored 12 right.

I miss three questions about Hindu and Buddaism. Oh Well, at least I knew when the Sabath began and I'm not Jewish, but I did stay at a motel 6 recently.

Regards,

Threads Merged

Last edited by a moderator:
New PEW study shows that Atheists, Jews and Mormons know more about religion then Catholics and Protestants..

Survey: Atheists most knowledgeable about religion

I knew SOMEONE would be blathering about this. Did you see the example of the "religion question" they gave for Protestants?

More than half of Protestants could not identify Martin Luther as the person who inspired the Protestant Reformation.

That's not knowing about religion. That's knowing about history, and it's not the history of MY religion. (Although I did happen to know about Martin Luther. This sentence sounds as though there it was a one-time deal.)

I'm not all that surprised that a lot of Catholics aren't aware that communion isn't symbolic according to church doctrine. Most Catholic churches in my experience don't talk about it a lot these days. And non-Orthodox Jews strike me as a rather secular group in general.

What puzzles me is why atheists bother to know so much about something they disbelieve in and don't have any outside compulsion to know. They keep trying to pass it off as just a passive disbelief, but it sounds like they're really working at it (and Lord knows, they evangelize about it enough) that it sounds like a religious belief to ME.

Why would you bother knowing details about something you don't believe? I mean, I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I don't make a study of him or spend time constructing arguments against his existence.

I would say that atheists know more about the generalities of religion as it relates to whether or not it is a reasonable choice, but when it comes to knowing the specifics of various doctrine, I would expect that they know much less. Their primary goal is probably to make a decision on whether or not they choose to believe, rather than choosing what doctrine to follow.

Sounds to me like the survey was skewed toward historical and academic questions over doctrinal or practical questions. In other words, it sounds biased toward people who learn about religion in college classes rather than learning it by attending church and practicing the religion.

Sounds to me like the survey was skewed toward historical and academic questions over doctrinal or practical questions. In other words, it sounds biased toward people who learn about religion in college classes rather than learning it by attending church and practicing the religion.

That was my point when I pointed out that the title is misleading because those who attended services and were active in their faith/religion scored the best overall. Those types of people would tend to know both the academic/historic as well as the doctrines and practices.

Why would you bother knowing details about something you don't believe? I mean, I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I don't make a study of him or spend time constructing arguments against his existence.

Maybe, I like to understand something before forming an opinion. Novel concept, I'm sure.

If you're an atheist, haven't you already formed an opinion? I think her point is that they persist beyond forming an opinion or making a decision.

If you're an atheist, haven't you already formed an opinion? I think her point is that they persist beyond forming an opinion or making a decision.

I wasn't born an atheist. I had to learn about religion first before deciding to become an Atheist.

Why would you bother knowing details about something you don't believe?

If for no other reason, to ensure that you don't make a fool of yourself in discussions with adherents of other religions.

I wasn't born an atheist. I had to learn about religion first before deciding to become an Atheist.

You're missing the point, even though you had to learn about certain aspects of a particular religion to decide whether or not to accept or reject it, you still have not learned the same amount that a person devoted to the religion has learned over years of studying it and practicing it.

You're missing the point, even though you had to learn about certain aspects of a particular religion to decide whether or not to accept or reject it, you still have not learned the same amount that a person devoted to the religion has learned over years of studying it and practicing it.

I see what you're saying. But I believe this quiz was overall knowledge of all types of religion. so Atheists I guess have a better overall grasp of knowledge from all the religions as a whole, while a Jew would know more about judaism when looking at solely those questions.

Forum List

Back