Atheists, agnostics, other heathens

I was baptized luthern, but I mostly attended a catholic church that my brothers and sisters went to. I also attended a Methodist church when younger. Last church I attended on a regular basis was a Nazeren church. That is when I started to get turned off by religion.

I probably would not consider myself an atheist. More like a highly doubtful agnostic that has yet to find a consistant definition of god.

Even so, I am most identified with the atheist on the board. So here is my Reply

Methodists until 12, then Baptist until around 18, Universalism for a short period of time--then I became a full blown atheist, and then simmered down into a golden-browned basic agnostic around 30.

I don't take miracles seriously--nor do I take the people that claim miracles are "unverifiably" true seriously either.

I was raised by parents who were Baptist on the outside and Pagan on the unside. They went to church and dragged us there because back in the 50s going to church was what you did to maintain a social profile that was acceptable. My Gran who lived with us was a reverend's daughter, a true believer who read us Bible stories and did her best to make us good little Christians. However, I was also read Grimm's by my parents and felt more affinity towards them. At the age of five I knew I was a Pagan and rejected any Christian leanings.
Today I call myself an ecclectic Pagan, I feel there is more to the world than the external reality, but don't claim to understand what lies beyond our concrete world . My life has been one long search for answers to the unexplained and probably unexplainable.

I was raised by parents who were Baptist on the outside and Pagan on the unside. They went to church and dragged us there because back in the 50s going to church was what you did to maintain a social profile that was acceptable. My Gran who lived with us was a reverend's daughter, a true believer who read us Bible stories and did her best to make us good little Christians. However, I was also read Grimm's by my parents and felt more affinity towards them. At the age of five I knew I was a Pagan and rejected any Christian leanings.
Today I call myself an ecclectic Pagan, I feel there is more to the world than the external reality, but don't claim to understand what lies beyond our concrete world . My life has been one long search for answers to the unexplained and probably unexplainable.

Nice to meet you, Lakota

Just out of curiosity what religion were you raised to be a part of?

I wanted to start a poll but seems like there's too many specific religions to do a good one.

I was just curious cuz it seems a lot of us are former catholics :razz:.

With good reason. :lol:

I probably would not consider myself an atheist. More like a highly doubtful agnostic that has yet to find a consistant definition of god.

Even so, I am most identified with the atheist on the board. So here is my Reply

Methodists until 12, then Baptist until around 18, Universalism for a short period of time--then I became a full blown atheist, and then simmered down into a golden-browned basic agnostic around 30.

I don't take miracles seriously--nor do I take the people that claim miracles are "unverifiably" true seriously either.

So, if you are not an atheist, what god do you believe in? It sounds to me that if you have not even found "a consistent definition of god", then you wouldn't currently have a belief in one. That would make you an atheist. Being an atheist doesn't mean that you don't think gods could be "possible", just that you currently lack belief in any.

Just out of curiosity what religion were you raised to be a part of?

I wanted to start a poll but seems like there's too many specific religions to do a good one.

I was just curious cuz it seems a lot of us are former catholics :razz:.

Protestant. No idea which denomination, didn't care. I went to Sunday school a few times pre-teen, but the Satan was strong in me at even a young age and I just never bought into the class; I'd leave it behind after walking out of church and just go on living life, playing with friends, play some Nintendo, drawing, catch with my grandpa, whatever.

Practicing religion has never been a big part of my family, pretty much just an idea that there is some kind of supernatural creator out there and an afterlife, but not much specific beyond that. No Bibles or Churches, mostly Republican though and a few family members identify as Christian generally but not much beyond that. Christmas and Easter are just about getting together as a family and 'enjoying' each others company (politics are banned at the table).

We are good people too, and I know Lucifer loves us all.

Forum List

Back