Atheists, agnostics, other heathens

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
Just out of curiosity what religion were you raised to be a part of?

I wanted to start a poll but seems like there's too many specific religions to do a good one.

I was just curious cuz it seems a lot of us are former catholics :razz:.

I was raised a Catholic. Even at the young age of six or seven I just didn't get it but Mom made me go until I made my confirmation.

And that was the end of my religious indoctranation.

I wanted to start a poll but seems like there's too many specific religions to do a good one.

I was baptized Lutheran, but because of my 2nd stepfather I had to go to Catholic school.

I then went through Episcopalian and Baptist churches while in foster care (orphaned at 8).

After getting lied to repeatedly by various sects of Christianity, I turned away from it completely.

At 30, I started seeking out various spiritual ideals, and became a Taoist.

Now? I study Tao, Judaism and other theologies.

Look for the similarities rather than the differences, you'll get a lot farther. There are MANY similarities between Taoist and Judaic schools of thought, as well as many similarities between what Buddha and Yeshua (Jesus to you Christians) taught.

Interestingly enough........the most stable form in the Universe is 3 points. My personal belief? Theology is a kindergarten to teach you who God is, and to get a better understanding, you should study at least 3 different theologies.

Wasn't raised under any religion.

However I was taken to the "Kingdom Hall" by my Grandmother..and to a Jewish Temple in Queens by other relatives on occassion.

Born/raised Roman Catholic.
Anymore I just try to abide by the 10 Commandments and the laws of man because that pretty much covers it all. Just don't crap on people and you got it made in the shade.

why is it we all seem to have one thing in common....leaving while young

I went to a catholic school k through 2nd grade, church every week until about 16, sunday school every week up until that same time frame. My mom and stepdad went in and out in terms of how hard they were going to pretend to be really religious, as they never go to church now and they essentially stopped going right around the end of my high school days. So I'm sure they believe in God, but they aren't very religious.

I stopped believing in God in at around age 13 I'd say (I'm 26 now) and even when I believed I hated going to church and sunday school and liked my public school about 213175672178 times more than the catholic school with the nuns and their paddles.

Born/raised Roman Catholic.
Anymore I just try to abide by the 10 Commandments and the laws of man because that pretty much covers it all. Just don't crap on people and you got it made in the shade.

I appreciate your participation in the thread, but it doesn't seem like you would fit in the heathen category with the rest of us.

Include me in the heathen category. I was raised a Catholic, went to Catholic school, even two years in a Catholic college.

I'm now an atheist.

Last edited:
I wasn't brought up with any religious belief.

My mother has lamented that to me in the past, she thinks it would have been easier if she could have just said, "Do it or you'll go to hell!". :lol:

Southern Baptist, thunked and dunked. :)

In my teens, having finally accessed a portion of my logical brain cells, I wondered what kind of a god expects women to obey and subjugate herself to her husband, and burns people in the fires of hell because they vote for the wrong political party.

I decided I must ponder this. ;)

I was raised to be a pentecoastal, Assemblies of God to be specific.
The religion of Jimmy Swaggart, Jim and Tammy Baker and Sarah Palin.

Was raised generally Protestant, as in no specific church or method. Used to believe, used to "feel" the presence of God, but some stuff turned that upside down and out. Went on some 'spiritual journey' thing for a while, trying out different religions, stuck with Islam for a while, but gave up religion all together in lieu of my own beliefs on life, and the soul.

Last edited:
After getting lied to repeatedly by various sects of Christianity, I turned away from it completely.
Amen.

I stopped believing in God in at around age 13 I'd say.

I don’t know if I ever believed. I tend to think some are ‘wired’ for religion and some aren’t.

Yes, I’m yet another ex-Catholic.

I am grateful for the education the Jesuits gave me, however.

yes some have a need to worship someone/something in power above them.
Always have always will be some like that. Why religion in one form or another will always be with us.
And also explains the worshipful political following many have.

Raised various parts RLDS, Assemblies of God, i'mnotsurewhatelse. My dad would feel the need to get religion once every couple of years and then shortly thereafter get disgusted by the 'hypocrisy' and general judgmental nature of it all. One day, when I was about twelve or thirteen, I just looked around at everyone in church and sort of figured out they were all just kidding themselves. I really wanted to believe, but my bullshit sensors just went to eleven whenever I got near a church..

Last edited:
I wasn't really raised anything. My parents aren't particularly religious, I think my mom is only because she was when she was a kid, but the most religious she ever gets is putting an angel on top of the Christmas tree instead of a star. There's some foreshadowing with how I would turn out when I told her I didn't like angel, because angels were lame, and stars were way cooler. My dad is a classic misanthrope, he doesn't really like anything, but doesn't really have any strong reason for disliking it aside from just not liking it.

My grandparents were religious in their own ways. My mom's mom was pretty Catholic, except she didn't like the Church, but kept a crucifix on her wall until the day she died. She was never for one about discussing it publicly though, although it could've just been not wanting to ever say anything in front of her grandchildren. My grandpa on that side was Methodist, and towards the end of his life he started going to Church again weekly. I went with him a few times out of curiosity, but got super bored with it because it was standing and singing and sitting. And boring.

Also I annoyed him once when I asked if God was his imaginary friend. I don't think I went back after that.

Forum List

Back