Atheist Summer Camp

That's already been conceded. Kids who refuse to take the oath are denied. But the funny thing is, that kids that refuse to take the oath usually don't apply. :cuckoo:

I have been involved with the scouts for ten years. I have been to meetings, events, Eagle ceremonies, etc. and have witnessed nothing but goodness. It makes me sad that there are people who want to see that end.

The haters don't give a damn about the kids. Fortunately, there are still many of us who do.

So how about that atheist camp?
The funny thing is that no one here was advocating that the boy scouts be ended. YOU attacked the atheist camp for being bigoted when it is not. The naysayers are simply showing you that the boy scouts do the same thing. There really is no difference here, the boy scouts are religious and the atheist camp is the same thing in a non religious setting. Can you not see that the attitude you approach the atheist camp is the EXACT same attitude you decry in those that attack the boy scouts. There is nothing wrong here or in the boy scouts, they are simply groups designed to cater to specific individuals.

I am always amused by some of my fellow atheists in their constant prattling on about not believing in a god.

Why make such a big deal about living without religion in your life if you truly don't believe in god?

It's just silly.

If you truly do not believe in god, why do you care if someone else does?
Why shouldn't atheists talk about what literally defines them?

Why do Christians make a big deal out of atheists? Why would a Christian, secure in his faith, feel any need to counter an athiest argument? I'm just turning your question around. The same questions arise for me in observing Christian/Atheist dialogue.

Pretty sad if someone is literally defined by what they do not believe isn't it?

And speaking as an atheist, I am not defined by my disbelief in a god. I am more concerned with living a decent life. In fact most people i know have no idea that I am an atheist although i doubt many would be surprised.

I can't speak for Christians nor do I care to.

Camp Quest is a sleepaway camp for the children of atheists, agnostics, humanists and other nonbelievers, though kids from religious families are welcome, too.

Most of the time, the kids do normal camp stuff such as hike, compete in relay races, sit around campfires. But the overarching philosophy is that life without religion is a perfectly healthy, viable option. "I feel really strongly these kids shouldn't be indoctrinated," she said. Many of the campers, who range in age from 8 to 17, "don't know what they are" yet when it comes to beliefs.

Despite the emphasis on open-mindedness, poking fun at faith isn't forbidden.

The team names included the Flaming Messiahs, a nod to the incinerated "Touchdown Jesus" sculpture north of Cincinnati struck by lightning last week, and the Dinosaur Jesus Riders, whose cheer goes like this: "Yeehaw, ride that Jesus!"

In a recurring gag, counselors tell the kids that two invisible unicorns run free at Camp Quest. Anyone who can prove that isn't true will win a prize.

Kids wrestle with religion at Camp Quest | The Columbus Dispatch

I'm speechless. Imagine if they had organized games poking fun at gays or atheists at a boy scout camp. Atheism has got to be the least tolerant of all religions. And it is a religion.

Comments?

Atheist say they don't teach their children to be atheist, but yet they send the to atheist camp. How hypocritical.

Good for you skull. I know many agnostics (probably the majority of my friends) who may even be atheists. But they don't talk about it. I also work with some pretty religious people who make Biblical references and are always planning something with their Church, but they also don't try to convert anyone.

The only people I do know who try to shove their religious/anti-religious views on others are here on USMB.

And if anyone thinks that atheist kids poking fun at Christians is ok; then I'm certain they'd be fine with Christian kids playing "Samurai Mohammed" or "Pin the tail on the Jew".

Guess what? It's not ok.

Notice how the article didn't mention any games making fun of Muslims or Jews. Why is that?

I said that I would love to see an atheist youth organization formed. ANY organization that encourages young people to give back to their community is ok by me.

Except for the ones where they get paid. :evil:

Boy Scouts don't allow atheists.

They don't allow ATHEIST ADULTS. Why is that so hard to get through your thick head? It is against the Scout Law. But so is MAKING FUN of other children.

I have no problem with atheists who teach their children morals. But as I have seen from many on this board, they don't even know what morality is.

Oh, come the fuck on. Now, why would you make a silly comment like that unless you simply just want to get a rise out of someone?

I am always amused by some of my fellow atheists in their constant prattling on about not believing in a god.

Why make such a big deal about living without religion in your life if you truly don't believe in god?

It's just silly.

Maybe because it pisses people off to hear such silliness from otherwise intelligent folks.

Everyone, if they truly believe in something, will naturally try to convince others of what they believe in or what they 'know' to be true. It's as simple as that.

Jesus-freaks want to convert others and people that see this all as an exercise in idiocy will try to convince others that logic should have precedence over a bunch of stories - some of them rather sick and twisted - collected in a book written by who knows who.

I would never subject my children to Bible study. I consider that cruel and unusual punishment. I got Bible stories from my fuckwad biological father (that btw, didn't otherwise show any interest in me since the age of 4) and I remember some of them haunting me until I was old enough to understand that some of it is just useless bullshit.

I think no children should ever be subjected to religious bullshit before they can think for themselves, which usually happens in their teens. Conversely, I don't think they should be 'taught' that god or goddess or some unseen energy 'being' do not exist. They should be just left the FUCK alone and PARENTS should be the ones teaching them morals et al. When they grow up and are interested in reading the Qu'ran or the Bible or the teachings of Dharma, they should go ahead and do it, but only when they have workable critical thinking skills.

Last edited:

It's just silly.

Maybe because it pisses people off to hear such silliness from otherwise intelligent folks.

Everyone, if they truly believe in something, will naturally try to convince others of what they believe in or what they 'know' to be true. It's as simple as that.

Jesus-freaks want to convert others and people that see this all as an exercise in idiocy will try to convince others that logic should have precedence over a bunch of stories - some of them rather sick and twisted - collected in a book written by who knows who.

I would never subject my children to Bible study. I consider that cruel and unusual punishment. I got Bible stories from my fuckwad biological father (that btw, didn't otherwise show any interest in me since the age of 4) and I remember some of them haunting me until I was old enough to understand it's all just bullshit.

I think no children should ever be subjected to religious bullshit before they can think for themselves, which usually happens in their teens. Conversely, I don't think they should be 'taught' that god or goddess or some unseen energy 'being' do not exist. They should be just left the FUCK alone and PARENTS should be the ones teaching them morals et al. When they grow up and are interested in reading the Qu'ran or the Bible or the teachings of Dharma, they should go ahead and do it, but only when they have workable critical thinking skills.

Why do you always attack someone elses belief.

It's just silly.

I would never subject my children to Bible study. I consider that cruel and unusual punishment. I got Bible stories from my fuckwad biological father (that btw, didn't otherwise show any interest in me since the age of 4) and I remember some of them haunting me until I was old enough to understand that some of it is just useless bullshit.

And you think condemning a child just because of your belief is not cruel and unusual punishment.

It's just silly.

Absolutely wrong. I personally have never tried to convince a believer that god does not exist. I have had people ask me why I do not believe but no one has tried to bring me back into the fold so to speak.

Wrong again. Why do you care if another chooses to believe in something you do not. It is a waste of time. If you engage in that pursuit, you are the one practicing idiocy.

It is your choice how you raise your children just as it is those who believe. I was brought up Catholic and I still made up my own mind as to what to believe or not believe.

Exposing a child to religion does not necessarily mean that they will believe as they get older.

Just because as a child you have a bad experience with a misguided human, don't put the blame on God, put it where it belongs on the human.

Just because as a child you have a bad experience with a misguided human, don't put the blame on God, put it where it belongs on the human.

If you do not believe in god, it is impossible to blame god for anything.

Hey - how about an atheist youth group? This is what I was trying to point out.

Does atheism promote relativism and stinginess? Preliminary evidence suggests that the answer might be yes, at least to some degree. Is this a serious concern? Perhaps not. With respect to relativism, the atheist might say that false beliefs in moral absolutes are a recipe for trouble. Perhaps relativism could increase tolerance and international understanding. The challenge for the relativist is to identify constraints on tolerance. This is a place where some philosophy might come in handy, since philosophers have spent many centuries trying to identify secular foundations for morality. What about stinginess? Here one factor may have to do with the fact that religious institutions create conditions that promote charity. Religious institutions have pledge drives, run soup kitchens, pass around donation cups, raise awareness, and provide weekly reminders to give. They also create social pressure to be charitable, and they draw attention to self-sacrificing role models. Atheists need to work at creating an infrastructure that is conducive to charity. One good thing about the Brooks book is that it may make atheists conclude that they need to do more in order to overcome the accusation of being moral monsters.

Do Atheists Pose a Threat to Morality? | Psychology Today

But if you listen to most atheist stories that's exactly who they blame, whether they unconsciously know it or not.

But if you listen to most atheist stories that's exactly who they blame, whether they unconsciously know it or not.

It's hard to generalize why one chooses not to believe. And you certainly cannot ascribe unconscious motives with any certainty.

I for one came to my views not because I blame a god for anything but rather through my interest in anthropology.

It's hard to generalize why one chooses not to believe. And you certainly cannot ascribe unconscious motives with any certainty.

I for one came to my views not because I blame a god for anything but rather through my interest in anthropology.

Let just say God has been around forever, what makes you think he didn't use this universe before with different creatures. given that scenario does it make you wonder?

Last edited:
Good for you skull. I know many agnostics (probably the majority of my friends) who may even be atheists. But they don't talk about it. I also work with some pretty religious people who make Biblical references and are always planning something with their Church, but they also don't try to convert anyone.

The only people I do know who try to shove their religious/anti-religious views on others are here on USMB.

And if anyone thinks that atheist kids poking fun at Christians is ok; then I'm certain they'd be fine with Christian kids playing "Samurai Mohammed" or "Pin the tail on the Jew".

Guess what? It's not ok.

Notice how the article didn't mention any games making fun of Muslims or Jews. Why is that?

I said that I would love to see an atheist youth organization formed. ANY organization that encourages young people to give back to their community is ok by me.

Except for the ones where they get paid. :evil:

DON'T MAKE FUN OF CHRISTIANS!!!

crybaby2.jpg

IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

Let just say God has been around forever, what makes you think he didn't use this universe before with different creatures. given that scenario does it make you wonder?

The belief in gods has been around forever, if you define forever as the length of human sentience.

That belief has changed and evolved as people have evolved.

And the universe is of the scale that we (sentient beings) may very well be the product of nothing but coincidence.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back