Atheist Summer Camp

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Camp Quest is a sleepaway camp for the children of atheists, agnostics, humanists and other nonbelievers, though kids from religious families are welcome, too.

Most of the time, the kids do normal camp stuff such as hike, compete in relay races, sit around campfires. But the overarching philosophy is that life without religion is a perfectly healthy, viable option. "I feel really strongly these kids shouldn't be indoctrinated," she said. Many of the campers, who range in age from 8 to 17, "don't know what they are" yet when it comes to beliefs.

Despite the emphasis on open-mindedness, poking fun at faith isn't forbidden.

The team names included the Flaming Messiahs, a nod to the incinerated "Touchdown Jesus" sculpture north of Cincinnati struck by lightning last week, and the Dinosaur Jesus Riders, whose cheer goes like this: "Yeehaw, ride that Jesus!"

In a recurring gag, counselors tell the kids that two invisible unicorns run free at Camp Quest. Anyone who can prove that isn't true will win a prize.

Kids wrestle with religion at Camp Quest | The Columbus Dispatch

I'm speechless. Imagine if they had organized games poking fun at gays or atheists at a boy scout camp. Atheism has got to be the least tolerant of all religions. And it is a religion.

Comments?

True. And personally I have no problem with an atheist summer camp. And if they want to make fun of those that disagree, so be it.

I do have a problem with the hypocrisy though.

The boy scout thread had me hot under the collar yesterday. Boy Scouts are not taught to make fun of anyone as many alleged in that thread. They do not "preach bigotry" because the sexual/religious preference of CHILDREN is a non-issue.

But it seems that this camp revels in bigotry. :cuckoo:

Camp Quest is a sleepaway camp for the children of atheists, agnostics, humanists and other nonbelievers, though kids from religious families are welcome, too.

Most of the time, the kids do normal camp stuff such as hike, compete in relay races, sit around campfires. But the overarching philosophy is that life without religion is a perfectly healthy, viable option. "I feel really strongly these kids shouldn't be indoctrinated," she said. Many of the campers, who range in age from 8 to 17, "don't know what they are" yet when it comes to beliefs.

The team names included the Flaming Messiahs, a nod to the incinerated "Touchdown Jesus" sculpture north of Cincinnati struck by lightning last week, and the Dinosaur Jesus Riders, whose cheer goes like this: "Yeehaw, ride that Jesus!"

In a recurring gag, counselors tell the kids that two invisible unicorns run free at Camp Quest. Anyone who can prove that isn't true will win a prize.

I'm speechless. Imagine if they had organized games poking fun at gays or atheists at a boy scout camp. Atheism has got to be the least tolerant of all religions. And it is a religion.

Comments?

Yes, like I am going to let my grandkids (if I ever have any that is) attend something where they will be riduculed night and day. I don't THINK so.

Immie

It's a hard life
It's a hard life
It's a very hard life
It's a hard life wherever you go
If we poison our children with hatred
Then, the hard life is all that they'll know

It's a Hard Life, Nanci Griffith

Comments?
Oh, if only it was! I will accept that CON$ really believe Atheism is a "religion" when they DEMAND that Atheists get the same SPECIAL TAX PRIVILEGES other "religions" get!

Then Atheists can start a ministry that they head and donate their home to the ministry while specifying that the head of the ministry lives in the home, thus getting a tax deduction for the appraised value of the home without giving up anything. Then when the electric or any other bill comes, they simply donate the money to pay the bills and thus get a tax deduction for all their living expenses. If they want a pool they donate that too and get a tax deduction.

Religions are the best of all the "charity" tax dodges so please make sure that Atheism gets declared a religion.

Last edited:
Atheism is not a religion. I attend no churches, read not religious atheist texts, sing no atheist songs, tithe not, etc.
I do not even pray to a no existant god.

I believe here and now is all we have and we should not demean it with promise of payment later.

Boy Scouts don't allow atheists.

They don't allow ATHEIST ADULTS. Why is that so hard to get through your thick head? It is against the Scout Law. But so is MAKING FUN of other children.

I have no problem with atheists who teach their children morals. But as I have seen from many on this board, they don't even know what morality is.

They don't allow ATHEIST ADULTS. Why is that so hard to get through your thick head? It is against the Scout Law. But so is MAKING FUN of other children.

I have no problem with atheists who teach their children morals. But as I have seen from many on this board, they don't even know what morality is.
They don't allow atheist children.

Boy Scouts of America believes that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. Accordingly, youth members and adult volunteer leaders of Boy Scouts of America obligate themselves to do their duty to God and be reverent as embodied in the Scout Oath and the Scout Law. Leaders also must subscribe to the Declaration of Religious Principle. Because of its views concerning the duty to God, Boy Scouts of America believes that an atheist or agnostic is not an appropriate role model of the Scout Oath and Law for adolescent boys. Because of Scouting’s methods and beliefs, Scouting does not accept atheists and agnostics as members or adult volunteer leaders.

BSALegal.org >

Chanel, why are you always spouting off about things that you know nothing about?

Comments?

Flaming Messiahs and Dinosaur Jesus Riders are the most awesome team names ever.

To expand on Chanel's comment above. Educate yourself. Adults (not boys) registering as an leader must agree to the Declaration of Religious Principle. If they can't do that, then they can't be a registered leader.......which begs the question, why would they want to? I'm a Baptist. Why would I want to join the Catholic church who believes and practices their faith totally different from me?

Declaration of Religious Principle, Bylaws of Boy Scouts of America, art. IX, § 1, cl. 1

BSALegal.org >

“The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members. No matter what the religious faith of the members may be, this fundamental need of good citizenship should be kept before them. The Boy Scouts of America, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training. Its policy is that the home and the organization or group with which the member is connected shall give definite attention to religious life.”

The handbooks make it clear that the Boy Scouts of America is completely non-sectarian, that is - no particular religion is advanced. However, there is a clear emphasis on "duty to God," and an apparent requirement that the boys have some faith-based relationship with a higher power. In other words, atheists may find it difficult to feel comfortable within the organization

Boy Scouts and Religion

They are not EXCLUDED unless they take issue with the oath. No one asks them their religious views at ten. They are too young to fully understand.

But that's not what this thread is about. IS IT OK FOR ATHEISTS TO MAKE FUN OF OTHER CHILDREN?

The handbooks make it clear that the Boy Scouts of America is completely non-sectarian, that is - no particular religion is advanced. However, there is a clear emphasis on "duty to God," and an apparent requirement that the boys have some faith-based relationship with a higher power. In other words, atheists may find it difficult to feel comfortable within the organization
Boy Scouts and Religion

They are not EXCLUDED unless they take issue with the oath. No one asks them their religious views at ten. They are too young to fully understand.

But that's not what this thread is about. IS IT OK FOR ATHEISTS TO MAKE FUN OF OTHER CHILDREN?
How do you take the oath if you're an atheist?

How do you become a scout if you don't take the oath?

Forum List

Back