Atheist Stand to Lose the Most.

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by froggy, Dec 19, 2009.

1. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    If i'm wrong about God, when i die i lose nothing.But when the atheist dies if they're wrong they lose it all.

2. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,337
    What an original concept! I'm sure that idea hasn't been brought up before....

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    Why dont you try to explain why you are correct, rather than why athiests are wrong? It seems to be a much more effective plan than what you currently have. That and you dont have to specify your message to athiests that way. You can use the same message for anyone who disagrees with you. Because youd be advocating your position rather than tearing down theirs.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,817
    Pascal's Wager (or Pascal's Gambit) is a suggestion posed by the French philosopher Blaise Pascal that even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should wager as though God exists, because living life accordingly has everything to gain, and nothing to lose. It was set out in note 233 of his Pensées, a posthumously published collection of notes made by Pascal in his last years as he worked on a treatise on Christian apologetics.
    Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    I think actually following this reason is insincere. And I think God would rather someone be honest with themselves than pretend to believe.

6. MajikMyst

MajikMyst Honorary Non-member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    To use your own arguement against you.. If your wrong, you will have waisted the only life you know to exist and can actually prove does exist..

If an athiest dies? We lose nothing.. You are the one that is losing it all..

7. skeptic7

skeptic7 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's called Pascal's Wager and is an insult to your all-knowing imaginary friend. u think u can just hedge your bets against your all-powerful, omniscient make believe sky guy???

either u truly believe or u don't. HE is gonna KNOW...but u are so shallow, u think u are smarter than your "God" and can trick him into granting u a free pass into paradise by pretending to believe??? by hedging your bets??? you believers and creationists crack me up with your cherry picking and half-baked faith. :cuckoo:

so, for the sake of your losing argument, i'll play along for a moment and assume i'm wrong and there is a god. WE...YOU and i...both lose. me for obvious reasons and you even more so for not truly believing, but pretending to believe just to cover your ass. for wimping out and trying to pull a fast one on the all-knowing, all-powerful creator of the universe.

i'd even wager a bet that the BIG GUY would have more respect for the all out Atheist, who had the conviction and fortitude to take a reasonable, logical position and truly stick with it...over a spineless fence-sitter who thought he could outsmart God and slither his way under the Pearly Gates.

In The Beginning...Man Created God
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Faith is believing what you know ain't so" Mark Twain

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  8. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    You don't think dedicating the one life that you know you've been given to an imaginary friend constructed solely to control your actions with a promise of future returns has potential for loss?

Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa!

Make Way!!! Sheep, comin' through!!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    :clap2:

If your God is real, I know enough about Him to know that He would resent being treated as 'insurance'.

10. pinqy

pinqy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Actually, you have just as much to lose if you believe in the wrong god, or in the right god, but in the wrong way.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3