Atheist Stand to Lose the Most.

froggy

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2009
If i'm wrong about God, when i die i lose nothing.But when the atheist dies if they're wrong they lose it all.

Why dont you try to explain why you are correct, rather than why athiests are wrong? It seems to be a much more effective plan than what you currently have. That and you dont have to specify your message to athiests that way. You can use the same message for anyone who disagrees with you. Because youd be advocating your position rather than tearing down theirs.

If i'm wrong about God, when i die i lose nothing.But when the atheist dies if they're wrong they lose it all.

Pascal's Wager (or Pascal's Gambit) is a suggestion posed by the French philosopher Blaise Pascal that even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should wager as though God exists, because living life accordingly has everything to gain, and nothing to lose. It was set out in note 233 of his Pensées, a posthumously published collection of notes made by Pascal in his last years as he worked on a treatise on Christian apologetics.
Pascal's Wager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pascal's Wager (or Pascal's Gambit) is a suggestion posed by the French philosopher Blaise Pascal that even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should wager as though God exists, because living life accordingly has everything to gain, and nothing to lose. It was set out in note 233 of his Pensées, a posthumously published collection of notes made by Pascal in his last years as he worked on a treatise on Christian apologetics.

I think actually following this reason is insincere. And I think God would rather someone be honest with themselves than pretend to believe.

To use your own arguement against you.. If your wrong, you will have waisted the only life you know to exist and can actually prove does exist..

If an athiest dies? We lose nothing.. You are the one that is losing it all..

that's called Pascal's Wager and is an insult to your all-knowing imaginary friend. u think u can just hedge your bets against your all-powerful, omniscient make believe sky guy???

either u truly believe or u don't. HE is gonna KNOW...but u are so shallow, u think u are smarter than your "God" and can trick him into granting u a free pass into paradise by pretending to believe??? by hedging your bets??? you believers and creationists crack me up with your cherry picking and half-baked faith. :cuckoo:

so, for the sake of your losing argument, i'll play along for a moment and assume i'm wrong and there is a god. WE...YOU and i...both lose. me for obvious reasons and you even more so for not truly believing, but pretending to believe just to cover your ass. for wimping out and trying to pull a fast one on the all-knowing, all-powerful creator of the universe.

i'd even wager a bet that the BIG GUY would have more respect for the all out Atheist, who had the conviction and fortitude to take a reasonable, logical position and truly stick with it...over a spineless fence-sitter who thought he could outsmart God and slither his way under the Pearly Gates.

In The Beginning...Man Created God
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Faith is believing what you know ain't so" Mark Twain

Last edited:

You don't think dedicating the one life that you know you've been given to an imaginary friend constructed solely to control your actions with a promise of future returns has potential for loss?

Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa! Baa!

Make Way!!! Sheep, comin' through!!!

I think actually following this reason is insincere. And I think God would rather someone be honest with themselves than pretend to believe.

:clap2:

If your God is real, I know enough about Him to know that He would resent being treated as 'insurance'.

if im wrong, as an atheist, i get to go to hell instead of beeing dead and nothing else.

ill be punished by the devil for not having known that god existed during my life.
by eternal torture.
man that would suck. i wander if theres any way out of there once youre in.
do i really have to burn alive and be poked by sharp needles forever then? :(

We have discussed this at length several times. Apparently, it is a favorite of the newbies on the Theological boards.

Unfortunately, Pascal wager can also be used to denounce Christianity.

Let say there exists a task that risk person or property in order to show that you have complete faith in God. Should you take it on Pascal's reasoning? The answer is no. This, in effect, leads one to denounce any religion that practices faith healing, suffering, or other displays of faith that requires risk of person/family or property based on a theological claim. This also include gifts of charity/alms that Christianty espouses.

To see this in a differrent perspective, let me present an example using a made up Theology:

Let say there exist an entity called Nee-Nee Argobot the wonder. To praise Nee-Nee Argobot, you must take the life of your first born by slitting his/her throat with a dull knife and drinking his/her blood. Afterwards, you must feed the body to the creatures of the sea. Failure to do this will send you and your family members into eternal damnation at the hands of the Dreaeded Tri-headed Whale:Momo Nahee. Abiding by Nee-Nee Argobot wishes, your child will be promoted to his first right Tentacle that nurtures paradise, and your entire family will be showered in delights for eternity.

Now after you stopped laughing, does it not make sense to denounce such a Theological claim? Yes, Some religions may lead you to risk person or property to demonstrate your faith. Using Pascal's Wager, it makes sense to denounce those denomination due to the fact that you are risking something of value to you in the case that you are mistaken to believe in these denominations.

Thus Pascal Wager's can be a useful, although illogical, tool to denounce Christianity.

How do you like that arguement, Froggy?:razz:

To use your own arguement against you.. If your wrong, you will have waisted the only life you know to exist and can actually prove does exist..

no regrets here

Like I am going to worry a lot about losing what does not exist.

A good example of fear mongering by the religious right though.

if im wrong, as an atheist, i get to go to hell instead of being dead and nothing else.

ill be punished by the devil for not having known that god existed during my life.
by eternal torture.
man that would suck. i wander if there's any way out of there once your in.
do i really have to burn alive and be poked by sharp needles forever then? :(

If im dead and there's nothing else it won't matter but if i'm right i wont be suffering an eternity in hell fire.

People take this stupidity seriously?

For one thing, belief is not a conscious decision.

☭proletarian☭;1827423 said:

You're right.

As much as you might want to, you can't make yourself believe in something that you don't .

☭proletarian☭;1827423 said:

Of course it's a conscious decision.

Why are people so quick to conclude they cant chose who they are?

no regrets here

Then you are to be commended. A regret free life is more than any one of us has the right to ask for.

Let he/she who is without regret pass along in death or rapture so the rest of us can help our children reach the stars.

Forum List

Back