Atheist billboards

Some atheists and agnostics I know band together on a message board to discuss not only how to navigate in an intolerant society without having to live a lie, but also why they are atheists, how they came to be atheists if they were something else before and if not, why they never were attracted to a belief system. It's interesting to see the variations in what atheism means even within an atheist community.

When I was "coming out" of fundamentalism, I joined an agnostic/atheist discussion group. It really provided a lot of helpful support to me at a time when I needed it, but I left when I had gotten far enough along in recovery to be annoyed by people who are pissed off all the time.

Those groups are there, if you search them out, but they certainly aren't out looking for converts. However, last I checked, America is still a free society. That means that religious folks have a right to express their beliefs. Similarly, it means that non-believers have a right to express their DISBELIEF.

Offended by that? Welcome to the joy of free speech.

Thanks for the input. I never was in an atheist group other than online. That one has people with a whole spectrum of reactions to the world of believers but like your experience, I don't recall anyone talking about ever looking for converts.
Mostly we talk about world events and tell jokes.

For someone who claims he/she doesn't think about atheism all that much you sure do a lot of bitching about atheists who act like you.

This thread is not about atheists who act like me. If you remember I said atheists who take out billboards to advertise their unbelief are silly.

I haven't directly had my constitutional rights trampled on due to my atheism since I was in 8th grade and made to leave the room because the teacher did not want me present while the Pledge was being recited.

Were you being disruptive? Because I said the pledge and omitted the under god part and to this day no one has ever noticed.

But I still experience abuse from people who ask too many questions about my non beliefs. Surprising in this day and age. The most recent was the old Italian lady down the street who I check on now and then because she lives alone and no one here speaks her dialect but me. I was chased away from her house for telling her I could not say prayers for her.

Oh for god's sake, if a little old infirm Italian lady from the old country asks you to pray for her, say you will. It will make her feel as if she is cared for and it won't cost you a second of your time.

The last wedding ceremony I attended the priest was so rude to me and a Jewish relative of the bride for not participating in praying to God, that the bride nearly cried.

I seriously doubt that a priest would interrupt a wedding ceremony just to single you out.

I was told to leave a mosque one time by an guy whom an official there quickly reprimanded and told me to ignore and feel welcome.

For someone who professes to be an atheist, you sure seem to spend a lot of time in houses of worship

I don't know where this abuse of atheists and people of other faiths gets anyone. I hardly ever think about my non belief either, because what is there really to think about? It's only when someone else isn't satisfied with my answers to their questions that I am reminded of what I am.

Asking someone to leave a church or mosque is not abuse. the old lady didn't abuse you, you insulted her by saying you wouldn't pray for her and quite frankly, it was a little insensitive of you to hurt her feelings like that.

This thread is not about atheists who act like me. If you remember I said atheists who take out billboards to advertise their unbelief are silly.

Were you being disruptive? Because I said the pledge and omitted the under god part and to this day no one has ever noticed.

No. My home room teacher was very strict about everyone saying the Pledge in it's entirety. Later he made a citizen of another country leave the room too.

Oh for god's sake, if a little old infirm Italian lady from the old country asks you to pray for her, say you will. It will make her feel as if she is cared for and it won't cost you a second of your time.

She didn't ask she demanded right then and there. She tried to shame me in front of all the other neighbors outside that could hear her. I don't know any prayers and if my good wishes and my checking in on her isn't enough proof that I cared for, nothing more I can do. I got the hell out of there. The neighbors then told me, you aren't the first who tried.

I seriously doubt that a priest would interrupt a wedding ceremony just to single you out.

Really? you should have been there. He stopped his sermon to stare at th Jewish woman and myself. The bride apologised to us later. His superior ( Shanley) had just been indicted for child rape so maybe he was having a tough day.

For someone who professes to be an atheist, you sure seem to spend a lot of time in houses of worship

That was the last Catholic wedding I went to. Done with that shit. The receptions are what i attend now. I spend time in mosques because I study Islamic art. A lot of houses of worship are also beautiful examples of great architecture. I even enjoy religious music now and then, when it's offered as a simple concert or by a sect that does not mind if non believers attend. I have a atheist friend who plays organ 2 Sundays a month in churches all over the Netherlands. No one has a problem that he is there for the music.

Asking someone to leave a church or mosque is not abuse. the old lady didn't abuse you, you insulted her by saying you wouldn't pray for her and quite frankly, it was a little insensitive of you to hurt her feelings like that.

That guy wass very abusive, shouting in a plaace of worship. He ended up getting booted. LOL![ And the old lady is a miserable bitch, kind of like you. :lol::lol::lol:/B]

Last edited:
WHAT?!?!

you mean we CAN'T have a catholic wedding, Ang?

Well, fuck a chicken in the goat ass, there goes my five year plan.

Are these people silly, too?

God's Billboards

Most religions proselytize. That's how they get members and the more members a religion has, the more money they make. It's understandable and yes I think that some devout religious people are silly and some are down right annoying, just like some atheists.

There really isn't too much difference between an annoying atheist and an annoying Jehovah's witness is there? They're both annoying so the reason why they are annoying doesn't really matter.

There really isn't too much difference between an annoying atheist and an annoying Jehovah's witness is there?

I've never had an atheist ring my doorbell wanting to talk about atheism. Also, Atheists don't proselytize. Education adds to our ranks.

I've never had an atheist ring my doorbell wanting to talk about atheism. Also, Atheists don't proselytize. Education adds to our ranks.

Once a Jehovah's witness told me it was bad to be an atheist. Then she said, " That's the Catholic church, right?"
I had to laugh and tell her, "Not that bad". She was relieved.

pros⋅e⋅lyt⋅ize
   /ˈprɒsəlɪˌtaɪz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pros-uh-li-tahyz]
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -ized, -iz⋅ing.

to convert or attempt to convert as a proselyte; recruit.

So you recruit, convert or proselytize through education?

"educating" one in order to bring them into the fold so to speak is the same thing as proselytizing.

yea yea yea... heliocentrism, GRAVITY and fucking evolution, which are ALL supported by science miles above "faith"-based rhetoric, sure is proselytizing for atheism.

suuuuuuuuuuuuure.

:thup:

by definition it is.

To recruit, to change ones opinion etc is proselytizing

but maybe that depends on you definition of is

God's Billboards

I don't think so. I don't think the Christian ones are designed to recruit non-believers. I think they are a cute way of reminding people about God that already believe but may have wandered. I don't think they should be offensive to a non-believer. I'm not offended by the atheist billboards though I don't think they come across as very friendly.

by definition it is.

To recruit, to change ones opinion etc is proselytizing

but maybe that depends on you definition of is

gosh buddy, I guess that makes ANY secular education that doesn't inject jesus into every niche and cranny equal to a state full of door to door mormons, eh?

:cuckoo:

I hate it when i'm cooking poultry and the label proselytizes a warning that i should wash my hands or face the fiery hell of salmonella..

gosh buddy, I guess that makes ANY secular education that doesn't inject jesus into every niche and cranny equal to a state full of door to door mormons, eh?

:cuckoo:

I hate it when i'm cooking poultry and the label proselytizes a warning that i should wash my hands or face the fiery hell of salmonella..

I don't remember any of my secular education saying god did not exist.

In fact the theory of evolution does not address the existence of god at all. Unless you assume that evolution because it contradicts creationism it also denies the existence of god.

And I don't think believing in god automatically subscribes one to belief in creationism.

And you would only be proselytized by a label if you were of the opinion salmonella was not a risk or you didn't believe in washing your hands before you read the label and then after reading said label, you became a devout hand washer.

are you kidding me? only sinners and godless atheists believe that it's salmonella and not demons from hell that infect raw chicken! Labels and their damned science be damned!

I know you folks need to believe that we do what you do. We don't try to convert anyone. In fact, part of what we do is to fight for equal rights for all of us, including you.
When was the last time an atheist tried to convert you?

Yeah, that's why you guys put up a sign that says "Religion is but a myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds." in our state capital, right next to our "holiday" tree.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I don't think the Christian ones are designed to recruit non-believers. I think they are a cute way of reminding people about God that already believe but may have wandered. I don't think they should be offensive to a non-believer. I'm not offended by the atheist billboards though I don't think they come across as very friendly.

I didn't see anything in there that was a personal attack on atheists. Nothing about them having enslaved minds or hard hearts. Yes, I'm offended by the bulletin board put up in our state capital that says religion is a myth and that those of us that believe are hard hearted and have enslaved minds.

YES, extremely. There are a shit-ton of these things along I-75 in Florida, and my kids and I constantly make fun of them. They're good for an easy 30 minutes worth of entertainment. So, perhaps I should be grateful to them for the amusement value.

Forum List

Back