Atheist billboards

Afraid, eh? That's a common response. Try it. You'll see.

What about my response makes you think I am afraid? I said Bullshit because your remark was bullshit.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone way down deep believes in God. At most people are agnostics.

Did you hear about the agnostic who suffered from dyslexia and insomnia?
He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Sorry ....... old joke but somebody had to tell it

Did you hear about the agnostic who suffered from dyslexia and insomnia?
He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Sorry ....... old joke but somebody had to tell it

LOL! never heard it before. I like it.

Atheists have their own religion but want to stop anyone else from expressing theirs.

Just becuase they want to be public about what they believe does not mena they are telling anyone what to do.

Christians talk publicly about what they believe all the time and try to convert people.

I'm a Physicist by trade and I know many in my profession who deeply believe in God. Unfortunately, many Scientists give in to peer pressure and say that they are atheists. Those I would label agnostic. (Have you noticed that atheism seems to be almost a fad these days? It's just people following the crowd.)

People are feeling good about no longer having to hide their atheism. Sort of like gays. Some people can't stand to see gays be open about it. Likewise for atheism. People with weak belief systems or uncertainty about their own sexuality think someone different from them represents a threat.
I've seen people be rude to vegetarians just for saying no thank you to a serving of meat.

Atheism may have gained in popularity as people become more educated but it certainly isn't a fad, anymore than Judaism is.

The need for community is not exclusive to believers in God.
Not all religious people belong to a church. Not all atheists wish to go it alone, especially after they've met with some anti atheist bigotry.

I think the Unitarian Universalists have got it right. They accept believers, agnostics and atheists.

Come on. Atheists by definition don't believe in anything so what does a community of atheists do? Do they all get together and proclaim their unbelief to each other? It's dumb.

And atheists belong to the community they live in. As I said I don't subscribe to any religion, I don't believe in God and I don't care if other people believe in God. Hell my best friend goes to church every week. I just don't see this bigotry you speak of unless it's because of the penchant most atheists have for using personal attacks to criticize the religious folks and in that case those atheists deserve a little bigotry. And seriously how the hell does anyone know your an atheist? Is it that you don't say god bless you when someone sneezes?

How do you recruit atheists anyway? I understand missionary work and proselytizing when it comes to a religion but when you don't believe in a god or higher power, what 's your line, "Come join the Atheists, and we'll talk and sing about our unbelief of god." ? Not a very appealing message.

Groups that believe in something have a purpose to gather, groups that don't believe in something but gather to profess their unbelief is just silly.

130 isn't all that impressive, sorry to inform you. It ain't, you know, high end.

Sorry but you'd be wrong on that one

$iq_bell_curve.gif

An IQ of 130 puts one in the 98th percentile. I'd say that's pretty high end

Atheists have their own religion but want to stop anyone else from expressing theirs.

Wrong on both counts, Sheila.

I'm sorry to learn you are so misinformed.

when you use this definition of religion

religion definition | Dictionary.com

something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience

Atheists do indeed have their own religion. Their unbelief IS their belief

It's just silly to "gather" as a "community" of atheists

Is it?

Why?

If you believed that a huge segement of the population believed in nonsense, and you also believed that having such a huge segement believing in nonsense was a threat to your way of life, wouldn't you band together with like-minded individuals to help teach those believers that what they believed was complete nonsense?

A lot of atheists quite understandably (given past and recent history) are fearful of ALL believers because so many of us are actually somewhat insane and menacing to the rest of us.

Is it?

Why?

If you believed that a huge segement of the population believed in nonsense, and you also believed that having such a huge segement believing in nonsense was a threat to your way of life, wouldn't you band together with like-minded individuals to help teach those believers that what they believed was complete nonsense?

what exactly do atheists teach? I've been around other atheists and quite frankly, there is not a lot to say and even less to teach about atheism.

"We believe there is no god and our lives and the existence of our world are nothing but cosmic accidents." lesson over.

Is someone else's religion or belief system a threat to your way of life (barring wacko Muslim bombers that is)?

No one is threatening to persecute atheists for their unbelief. It isn't happening so is the atheists way of life really threatened or is it merely dismissed by the believers?

A lot of atheists quite understandably (given past and recent history) are fearful of ALL believers because so many of us are actually somewhat insane and menacing to the rest of us.

What recent history of atheistic persecution are you talking about?

Is someone else's religion or belief system a threat to your way of life (barring wacko Muslim bombers that is)?

It is when they try to legislate their belief or have the government endorse it.

If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color and health is a disease.

Atheism can be described as a belief that there is no god but that is not a religious belief. Atheism can better be described as the absence of religious belief.

Last edited:
Come on. Atheists by definition don't believe in anything so what does a community of atheists do? Do they all get together and proclaim their unbelief to each other? It's dumb.

We talk about the movies, the weather and how to prevent having our constitutional rights violated.

when you use this definition of religion

religion definition | Dictionary.com

something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience

Nothing worse than a self proclaimed atheist blathering on about what all other self proclaimed atheists believe or don't believe, have experienced or not experienced, need or do not need.
Well, maybe being tormented by bible thumpers determined to ruin your Saturday afternoon nap with irritating doorbell ringing is worse.
Skull pilot, you should just stop calling yourself an atheist and trying to pwn the definition. Call yourself a skull pilot and you can be one all on your own.

Is it?

Why?

Some atheists and agnostics I know band together on a message board to discuss not only how to navigate in an intolerant society without having to live a lie, but also why they are atheists, how they came to be atheists if they were something else before and if not, why they never were attracted to a belief system. It's interesting to see the variations in what atheism means even within an atheist community.

I don't know of any atheists actively recruiting from the ranks of the religious. Never heard of it. Never once been woken from my Saturday afternoon nap by some pushy salesman from the Church of It Isn't Enough That I Believe What I Believe, Everyone Else Has To Too In Order For Me to Win The All Paid Vacation In Paradise.

Atheists just want to be left alone, respected and tolerated in this multicultural society just as Jews respect Catholics, Methodists respect Muslims, etc.

I've never tried to convert anyone. I figure it will come to people on their own. It's such a simple common sense thing. But when confronted and browbeaten by religious fascists, of which their are plenty, or when asked out of sincere interest and curiousity by ordinary believers, of which there are also plenty, to explain why I see the world the way I do, I do voice my thoughts.
Some take it well, some don't.
But hey, if you don't like atheists, don't ask or force your rituals and prayers on us and we won't tell.

Last edited:
If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color and health is a disease.

Atheism can be described as a belief that there is no god but that is not a religious belief. Atheism can better be described as the absence of religious belief.

Nice analogy. Bald is a hair color. lol!

Forum List

Back