Atheist billboards

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
Atheists Reach Out -- Just Don't Call It Proselytizing - WSJ.com

Atheists Reach Out -- Just Don't Call It Proselytizing
Nonbelievers Think the Time Is Right to Better Organize Their Nonreligion and Swell the Membership; 'Reason's Greetings'

By STEPHANIE SIMON

Late next month, atheists, humanists, freethinkers, secularists -- in short, nonbelievers of every description -- will gather in dozens of cities to mark the holiday they call HumanLight.

Whether by singing from a Humanist Hymnal, decorating a winter wreath or lighting candles dedicated to personal heroes, they'll celebrate what has been an exhilarating ride for the faithless -- a surge in recognition that has many convinced they're on the brink of making a mark on mainstream America.

During the past three years, membership has grown in local and national associations of nonbelievers. Books attacking faith as a delusion shot up best-seller lists. For the first time, the faithless even raised enough funds to hire a congressional lobbyist.

Building on that momentum, nonbelievers have begun a very public campaign to win broad acceptance. On billboards and bus ads, radio commercials and the Internet, atheists are coming forward to declare, quite simply: We're here. And we're just like you.

Follow the link for the entire article
======================
Of course the billboards have been met with the expected ignorant bigots:

Taking God Out of Christmas? - NBC Action News KSHB-TV 41

The writer of this article took the opportunity to label atheists expressing their non-belief as another attack on Christmas. Good grief @@

I don't subscribe to any religion and in fact some would call me an atheist but I find that atheists organizing and celebrating their unbelief a little contradictory?

I don't subscribe to any religion and in fact some would call me an atheist but I find that atheists organizing and celebrating their unbelief a little contradictory?

The need for community is not exclusive to believers in God.
Not all religious people belong to a church. Not all atheists wish to go it alone, especially after they've met with some anti atheist bigotry.

I think the Unitarian Universalists have got it right. They accept believers, agnostics and atheists.

I don't believe in Atheists. I believe that every person has a belief in some sort of God. It's just a matter of degree.

I don't think anyone way down deep believes in God. At most people are agnostics.

I don't think anyone way down deep believes in God. At most people are agnostics.

I'm a Physicist by trade and I know many in my profession who deeply believe in God. Unfortunately, many Scientists give in to peer pressure and say that they are atheists. Those I would label agnostic. (Have you noticed that atheism seems to be almost a fad these days? It's just people following the crowd.)

I believe in God but if I'm wrong I'll just lay in my grave like everyone else.

But if I'm right...

I'm a Physicist by trade and I know many in my profession who deeply believe in God. Unfortunately, many Scientists give in to peer pressure and say that they are atheists. Those I would label agnostic. (Have you noticed that atheism seems to be almost a fad these days? It's just people following the crowd.)

I think it is that atheists are less fearful nowadays of identifying themselves as atheist.

Forum List

Back