atheism

Still waiting..

Can anyone identify a time when the US was more moral?

That question is so subjective that it's meaningless.

Hardly,
The premise of this thread is that there has been a downfall of the US. I'm merely, trying to establish a point we have supposedly fallen from

It is subjective.
There was a time when the wealthiest Americans seemed to be more than glad to take care of the less fortunate, unless they were black or gay.
There was a time when the government didn't do all that much to take care of orphans, but it was mostly handled by private institutions such as churches. Unless the children were handicapped.
You can go on endlessly with such examples that end with "except for".

Questioning is good for the soul. Having nothing to question leads to a meaningless existence in my opinion.

For you maybe. We can question the entire universe around us including the question of where we come from and how things work without believing in mysticism and the occult.

Yes, you have an excellent point. My personal experience is there is just as much possibility that one who is not moral in my opinion, is atheist as there is for them to be religious. You have a stronger anecdotal correlation than I do, but even if one had an opposite anecdotal correlation, any conclusion based on that, such as the OP's and others', is without proper foundation.

Yes, secular governments are the best for intellectual advancement, historically; and there is little reason to think that sort of culture promoting growth would change in the future.

I agree with you entirely. There IS just as much possibility that one who is moral is religious as there is that he or she is atheist. And that is exactly my objection to the simplistic statements made in the O/P.

Even Jesus said give unto Caesar what is Caesar's......

I have to respectfully disagree.

With an atheist, you pretty much get what you see.

With the religious, you can never know. Remember, many of these people will say, "If you don't believe in the supernatural and mystical punishment after death, what's to stop you from killing, robbery and rape?" They ask that as if there is no other reason besides "divine" wrath and eternal punishment that keeps them from doing these things.

Then it follows that they are not really moral, but just afraid of getting "caught".

Now, you say the same thing about atheists and man-made laws, but with some effort, it's surprisingly easy to break the law and get away with it. So for the atheist, it's a matter of "choice" to be moral. With the religious, you never know.

If they lose their "faith", then it's a foregone conclusion what they would do. We've already been warned by that question that they themselves ask, "Without mystical wrath, what's to stop you from killing, robbery, ....?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong It follows that a certainty of being caught eventually is somewhat of a disencentive to do wrong.

Atheisim is ultimately about pleasing one's self.

As the number of atheists grows society has become more narcissitic and and more self indulgent.

Wrong It follows that a certainty of being caught eventually is somewhat of a disencentive to do wrong.

As the number of atheists grows society has become more narcissitic and and more self indulgent.

As religion fades science will prevail and its about time. 2000 years of repression finally gone.

Seriously, atheism is simply the disbelief of a deity. Its about being at peace with yourself without fear of going to a pit to burn for eternity.

There are plenty of religious people who are narcissistic and self indulgent.

Must be okay being a pagan like the ancient Greeks then because their view was that a self-indulgent person was not a good person.

Atheism isn't about pleasing oneself, simply a non-sequitur there. Atheism is about not believing in a god. Atheists can range from completely self-indulgent libertines to totally altruistic ascetics. It's entirely possible to have a moral life as an atheist or as an agnostic. Religion isn't required for a moral life, although it does help guide some people.

Find me an atheist charity that does something other than promote atheism.

Find me an atheist charity! I know a few secular ones and I know a few religious ones and I give to both but I must admit I've never called the secular charities and asked if they promote atheism. Never occurred to me. It could be that atheists don't promote atheism though. The atheist organisations I've read about seem to be pretty low key and provide somewhere for those who are inquiring to go, so to speak. I also need to state that the religious charities I give to also do not push religion (they're Christian), but again they provide a place to for those who are inquiring. I have no problem with that.

Ive never heard of an atheist charity. But if what you are saying is true, what Christian charities do not promote Christianity?

Charity is just that, charity. You give to help humanity. Thats it. Its not a religious act.

Find me an atheist charity! I know a few secular ones and I know a few religious ones and I give to both but I must admit I've never called the secular charities and asked if they promote atheism. Never occurred to me. It could be that atheists don't promote atheism though. The atheist organisations I've read about seem to be pretty low key and provide somewhere for those who are inquiring to go, so to speak. I also need to state that the religious charities I give to also do not push religion (they're Christian), but again they provide a place to for those who are inquiring. I have no problem with that.

Exactly. Since atheism, unlike a religion, has no need to evangelize, it doesn't need to create social arms for that purpose.

That is just a dirty smear from the religious.

Aren't they funny how they cry and whine that non religious make fun of their mystical and supernatural occult beliefs but feel perfectly fine comparing atheists to murderers and other lowlife? Who else do they do that to? Hmmm. What other group? One wonders. But one doesn't have to wonder for long.

The more you can remove religious, the safer I feel. If they think "God" wants them to do something, there is no limit to what they will do. Does anyone know anyone who has "talked" to God? Anyone at all? Thought so.

was that what caused the downfall of these great united states.

Yes--it was us atheists!! Not greedy Bankers Nor foolish politicians--just us disloyal, unAmerican Atheists that plotted and ruined this great Christian nation with our disbelief.

For if belief is powerful, Disbelief is all consuming!!

Get out of here!​

No

Hedonism is ultimately about pleasing one's self

Atheism is disbelief in things considered supernatural, mystical or "of a fairytale nature".

If I wanted to please myself, I would masturbate. If I wanted to doubt the existance of God, masturbation does not cut it.

Their are virtues and tenants of morality that most religions share. There is nothing wrong with teaching children the Ten Commandments in a "non zealous" fashion. Something tells me these kids beating and gang raping other kids don't believe in God. Just a hunch.

When my students complain about their parents and I quip "Honor thy mother and father" they look at me like I'm some kind of Jesus freak. Of course half of them don't know their fathers.

My hunch is that they do not understand the truth about religion.

Thus, they run around beating and raping people because "Only God can judge them" Theological mess flowing through their head and some drug is running through their veins.

Oh--let us not forget--parents who could not raise mold on a piece of bread let alone human children!!!

Last edited:
Jillian And the French Reign of terror had no Religous underpinnings to speak of nor did Maos murder of more than fifty million Chinese or Lenin's millions of dead Ukrainians or Stalin's millions of dead Russians and assorted others unless you are now going to promote communism to the status of religion.

Arm you miss the point. Atheism, so to speak, gives the hedonist permission to do as he pleases.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back