Atheism and it's Link to Bad Dad's

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Atheism and it's Link to Bad Dad's

by Anne Morse

How long was it after you started college that you heard that first attack on your faith? Unless you attend a religiously-oriented school, it probably didn't take long.

Maybe it happened in your Freshman English Lit class, where the professor--so careful to respect the beliefs of every other student (including the one who thinks he's Elvis reincarnated)--made a point of ridiculing belief in the Christian God.

Or maybe it happened in Biology 101, where the professor contemptuously dismissed anyone stupid enough to believe a bunch of creationist myths.

If you took a class in Women's Studies, you likely heard that Christianity is a patriarchal religion designed to oppress any woman fool enough to join it.

Of course, not all attacks on faith come from professors. You might have tried to witness to your new roommate--only to have him dismiss your faith as a "crutch" for the weak. Or you may have opened the school newspaper, only to see a letter viciously attacking the school for allowing a theologian to speak on campus.

If you think these attacks appear to be more common on campus than off, you're right. Atheists do tend to congregate there. And the reason they reject the Judeo-Christian God with such passion is the subject of a fascinating new book by Paul Vitz.

Vitz is a psychologist, and until he was in his late thirties, he was an atheist himself (He's now a Roman Catholic). In his book, Faith of the Fatherless (Spence, 1999) Vitz says he began to wonder why America--a country that was essentially an atheist-free zone until the late nineteenth century--has become one in which "the presumption of atheism" defines public life. "The rejection of God in our schools is just one small example of the triumph of atheism," Vitz notes. Atheists have been wildly successful in promoting the assumption "that belief in God is based on all kinds of irrational, immature needs and wishes, whereas atheism or skepticism flows from a rational, grown-up, no-nonsense view of things as they really are."

Even though well over 90 percent of us tell the pollsters we believe in God, "references to God in public discourse have become extremely uncommon; we have become a nation of public and practical atheists," Vitz says. "This social condition has been well described by Richard John Neuhaus as the 'naked public square.'"

Well, if the public square is naked, then the average college campus is a veritable nudist colony. Serious references to God in scholarly writing is considered "taboo," Vitz says. In fact, he adds, bringing God up in any way "would bring the legitimacy of one's scholarship into question."

How did this state of affairs come about? Until just a few decades ago, America's public square was on the best-dressed list, religiously speaking. As Vitz observes, no other culture in history has manifested such a widespread public rejection of the divine--while at the same time boasting a citizenry that stubbornly persists in clinging to private belief in the Almightly.

"That such a rejection of God should have triumphed is quite remarkable--even bizarre" in a country that is seriously religious," Vitz says. How did atheists become so good at controlling publicly "acceptable" views about God--especially on college campuses? That's what Vitz wanted to know. He began his study in the same place atheists began: by examining the psychology of belief.

Atheists, of course, have long considered belief in God nothing more than infantile wish fulfillment. They disdain religion as an illusion we poor schmucks made up to satisfy unconscious needs.

But, Vitz wondered, what if the shoe's on the other foot? Suppose it's the atheists who are engaging in unconscious wish fulfillment?

To find the answer, Vitz began scanning the last four centuries for patterns--patterns that distinguish the lives of atheists from the lives of comparable theists.

What he found is nothing less than astonishing. After studying the lives of more than a dozen of the world's most influential atheists, Vitz discovered that they all had one thing in common: Defective relationships with their fathers. By defective, Vitz means the fathers were dead, abusive, weak, or abandoned their children.

For example, Freidrich Nietzsche, a philosopher whose writings influenced everyone from Adolph Hitler to the Columbine killers, lost his father when he was not quite five years old. Nietzsche had been extremely close to his dad, a Lutheran pastor who died of a brain disease. "Nietzsche often spoke positively of his father and of his death as a great loss which he never forgot," Vitz explains. But "he also saw him as weak and sickly." It is not hard, Vitz says, "to view Nietzsche's rejection of God and Christianity as a rejection of the weakness of his father."

Bertrand Russell was famous for his rejection of Christianity; he lost his father when he was a young child, and was raised by a rigidly puritanical grandmother. Russell's daughter says that his grandmother's joyless faith was "the only form of Christianity my father knew well," a faith that taught that "the life of this world was no more than a gloomy testing ground for future bliss. . . My father threw this morbid belief out the window."

French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre also fits the defective father theory: His father died when Jean-Paul was a baby. "Jean-Paul was obsessed with fatherhood all his life," Vitz says. "His father's absence was such a painful reality that Jean-Paul spent a lifetime trying to deny the loss and build a philosophy in which the absence of a father and of God is the very starting place for the 'good' or 'authentic' life."

Full Article

My loss of Faith had nothing to do with my father. Of course maybe agnosticism has nothing to do with the father. That’s atheism. You become an agnostic for some other reason probably. Maybe it’s stolen candy, or having too many siblings or too much exposure to religion in general, or radiation from Tranoble.

But in all seriousness (ha ha ha) there are probably people on both sides of the theistic vs. atheistic argument, who are using their beliefs for "infantile wish fulfillment."

Oh and Dillo what kind of Voodoun would they be practicing Obeah or Santeria?

Is there a link somewhere for the proper use of an apostrophe? The word dads (plural of dad) should not have an apostrophe.

As to the article, it's simply :bsflag:

I have a solid relationship with my father and I am considered an atheist because I practice Buddhism (my dad doesn't). My two best friends also have good relationships with their fathers, both are at best agnostic.

The problem is that Christians just can't understand why anyone would disagree with them.

acludem

actually i dont think that what happened in this study
is a basic theory
it just some kind of Coincidence
and we cant take it as a basis for every thing
cuz every thing depend on you fate or destiney

Pale Rider said:
... and the pot speaks of the kettle looking black.

Not at all old son...I'm sure if one looks hard enough one can find a correlation between left-handed men born under a full-moon and poor parenting skills. Have a nice day. :teeth:

Bullypulpit said:
Not at all old son...I'm sure if one looks hard enough one can find a correlation between left-handed men born under a full-moon and poor parenting skills. Have a nice day. :teeth:

I don't think it was meant to "scientific" pulit, but one can't fully dismiss all points that were made.

When something is written by people bound to tell the truth, it becomes harder to debunk it, as is the case with you and your cohort aclu here. Your responses to the article don't have any teeth. At best you two are just gumming it.... BOY.

Pale Rider said:
I don't think it was meant to "scientific" pulit, but one can't fully dismiss all points that were made.

When something is written by people bound to tell the truth, it becomes harder to debunk it, as is the case with you and your cohort aclu here. Your responses to the article don't have any teeth. At best you two are just gumming it.... BOY.

Well, boyo, <i>Boundless</i> webzine is expressing a religious point of view. As such they will use their perception of the truth to make their point, whether it is correct or not. There is nothing to debunk...It is opinion, just like yours and mine.

Bullypulpit said:
Well, boyo, <i>Boundless</i> webzine is expressing a religious point of view. As such they will use their perception of the truth to make their point, whether it is correct or not. There is nothing to debunk...It is opinion, just like yours and mine.

Oh it's more than just "opinion". They noticed a correlation, as it were, and noted it. That's not opinion, even though you'd like to dismiss it as such.

With the religious, close is good enough as long as it helps support their point of view as "truth" and all others' point of view as false. The bar is lowered so low for facts that confirm opinions supporting religion and raised so high for facts that rebut opinions supporting religion.

Nietzche's main point was that a person should focus on the truths and abilities of each individual, not the disabilities. The Nazi's twisted his points to serve their own ends just as they did all legitimate points.

Russell concentrated on the importance of knowledge rather than metaphysics. The very philosophy our country was founded upon.

It's hard work for universities to straighten out the warped thinking that have been driven into the minds of the religious, but they're doing the best they can. Everyone should read "Nietzsche and Zion" by Jacob Golomb, a professor at Hebrew University.

shadrack said:
It's hard work for universities to straighten out the warped thinking that have been driven into the minds of the religious, but they're doing the best they can.

Another liberal, athiest, Christian hater.

The "universities", FUCK, don't make me laugh. Universities today are 80% liberal. If anyone is being indoctinated, it's young people getting LIBERAL bull shit pounded into their heads in college. As I'm sure at this point, YOU are a prime example of.

Pale Rider said:
Another liberal, athiest, Christian hater.

The "universities", FUCK, don't make me laugh. Universities today are 80% liberal. If anyone is being indoctinated, it's young people getting LIBERAL bull shit pounded into their heads in college. As I'm sure at this point, YOU are a prime example of.

I'm not a Christian hater. I think Christianity was a very important movement 2000 years ago. It's just that there has been a lot of things happen between now and then. And I think the religious should embrace those things and not dismiss them.

I just wonder how many prominent religious leaders have had a dads that weren't quite "up to par". I guess that consideration really wouldn't advance the warped thinking of Vitz who like other Christians have a preoccupation with the relationship between fathers and sons (hey, I found a pattern).

Your reply left a little to be desired, btw.

I thought the article made some decent points. but, ive been attending a public college this symester and i have not had any professors or class mates discourage any religion of any kink in fact many are chirstians and muslim(peacefull ones) and encourage spirituality so the problem of colleges making people athiest cant be too wide spread and or be working very well.

InfitiasFatalis said:
I thought the article made some decent points. but, ive been attending a public college this symester and i have not had any professors or class mates discourage any religion of any kink in fact many are chirstians and muslim(peacefull ones) and encourage spirituality so the problem of colleges making people athiest cant be too wide spread and or be working very well.

Oh yes, spirituality but not religion, that false dichotomy libs love to trumpet!

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
shadrack said:
I think Christianity was a very important movement 2000 years ago.

It still is today. It just isn't to you.

shadrack said:
Your reply left a little to be desired, btw.

As if impressing you was my goal. Please deflate your head.

Pale Rider said:
It still is today.

And some of your examples would be??

Pale Rider said:
It just isn't to you.

How can you figure I'm saying that it was an important movement and then claim that I don't believe that the affects of that movement were not important. No wonder you post some of the stupid things you do on this board. In such a belligerent way, I might add.

Forum List

Back