Atheism & Altruism

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Atheism & Altruism

For similar reasons I say that neither is possible and anyone claiming to be either is fooling themselves.

Discuss.

• Banned
:lol: You got me. :thup:

What I meant was anyone that claims to be atheist or altruistic is fooling themselves. Clearly my suffix error was so confusing to you that you couldn't comprehend the point and for that I humbly apologize. :lol:

What I meant was anyone that claims to be atheist or altruistic is fooling themselves. Clearly my suffix error was so confusing to you that you couldn't comprehend the point and for that I humbly apologize. :lol:

Care to demonstrate how anyone who claims to not believe in deity is 'fooling themselves', or shall your moronic assertion stand as it for all the world to laugh at your stupidity?

• Banned
The last time I attempted to engage you in intelligent discourse you left me hanging after I exposed the fundamental flaw in your reasoning. In other words, you ran away like a pussy. Until you remedy that particular misdeed, I see no point in discussing much of anything with you. You know, fool me once... :eusa_whistle:

Completely unsubstantiated claim.

You can say the same thing for anyone who believes in a specific religion. You are obviously fooling yourself because so many religions disagree with you

Care to demonstrate how anyone who claims to not believe in deity is 'fooling themselves', or shall your moronic assertion stand as it for all the world to laugh at your stupidity?
I'd like to see that myself.

Atheism & Altruism

For similar reasons I say that neither is possible and anyone claiming to be either is fooling themselves.

Discuss.

I'm an altruist.

I've probably donated 20,000 hours of my labors to a not-for-profit that I founded about 15 years ago,

I do this because of my enlightened self interest.

It is to my benefit and the benefit of my children that world-wide literacy improves.

Atheism & Altruism

Discuss.

I'm an altruist.

I've probably donated 20,000 hours of my labors to a not-for-profit that I founded about 15 years ago,

I do this because of my enlightened self interest.

It is to my benefit and the benefit of my children that world-wide literacy improves.

there goes the altruism part, at least as i understand altruism.

but i applaud your work.

Care to demonstrate how anyone who claims to not believe in deity is 'fooling themselves', or shall your moronic assertion stand as is for all the world to laugh at your stupidity?
I'd like to see that myself.

In due time.

CLOCK.GIF

asleep.gif

sleep%20pillow.gif

:eusa_liar:

Atheism & Altruism

Discuss.

Well, if your reasons why true altruism is impossible are the usual ones - that most people who commit charitable acts have some ulterior motive or at the very least are only in it for the good feeling it gives them - and your reasons why true atheism is impossible are similar...then you think that those who claim to be atheists are really doubting (or pretending to doubt?) the existence of God in order to feel good about themselves? Or is there something else I'm missing here? If not, sorry, but I'm not seeing how atheism is really just a means to feel good about oneself...or, as it says in your signature, how atheism is really "self-worship."

To understand my point about Atheism requires less literal and more lateral thinking.

I freely concede that if one strictly adheres to the dictionary definition of atheism (disbelief in the existence of deity) then my position fails. Clearly there is no logical basis to suggest that anyone would be fooling themselves about what they believe or disbelieve.

The actual point I've been waiting to make, which I admit was thickly and intentionally veiled in the OP, is that Atheism, like any form of Theism, requires faith. And where Atheists are fooling themselves is believing it does not. I submit that any intelligent, educated and intellectually honest adult recognizes that there is more that we don't know about our world, the universe, conscious existence and self-awareness than we do know. And to categorically dismiss the possible existence of God based solely on what we do know, understanding that there is far more that we don't know, is to take a leap of faith regarding the unknown. The only difference is that Theists leap one way, and Atheists leap another. And Agnostics just throw up their hands and say I really don't give a fuck, I got mouths to feed and bills to pay for crying out loud!

New Topics

Forum List

Back