ATF ships guns to Mexico and guess what happens

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The same cowboys who gave us the Siege at Ruby Ridge and the debacle at Waco had another idea. Why not ship guns to Mexico and try to trace them to drug cartels? I'll tell you why not. They are guns stupid, not cars. The guns have surfaced in a number of crime scenes including the deaths of American citizens. Is it time to reevaluate the ATF and maybe let them go back to chasing moonshiners and leave the complicated planning to the professionals.

US Government-think at its finest.... Let's ship weapons to our enemies and see how they use them. I'm sure these weren't 5 shot J-Frame revolvers either. BATFE is one of the worst excuses for a Law Enforcement Organization out there.

US Government-think at its finest.... Let's ship weapons to our enemies and see how they use them. I'm sure these weren't 5 shot J-Frame revolvers either. BATFE is one of the worst excuses for a Law Enforcement Organization out there.

I am surprised they didn't send mortars, Tanks, Humvees, rocket launchers etc etc to Mexico and than the Cartel takes those as well.

I am surprised they didn't send mortars, Tanks, Humvees, rocket launchers etc etc to Mexico and than the Cartel takes those as well.

The ONLY way this would have been a good idea would have been to install GPS tracking chips in the firearms and 48 hours after they were delivered, target the tracking devices with cruise missiles.

The ONLY way this would have been a good idea would have been to install GPS tracking chips in the firearms and 48 hours after they were delivered, target the tracking devices with cruise missiles.

I don't think sending anything over there is a good idea, since it all ends up in the hands of the Cartels anyways. I think Americans really underestimate the control the Cartels have in Mexico, its even more powerful than the Taliban is in Afghanistan.

The same cowboys who gave us the Siege at Ruby Ridge and the debacle at Waco had another idea. Why not ship guns to Mexico and try to trace them to drug cartels? I'll tell you why not. They are guns stupid, not cars. The guns have surfaced in a number of crime scenes including the deaths of American citizens. Is it time to reevaluate the ATF and maybe let them go back to chasing moonshiners and leave the complicated planning to the professionals.

They have another agenda:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/conspiracy-theories/155464-scandal-atf-gives-guns-to-mexican-drug-cartels-to-undermine-second-amendment.html

What were they thinking???...
:confused:
ATF Director Could Watch Live Video of Cartel Gun Buys--While Permitting Them to Proceed
Friday, June 17, 2011 - The acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was able to watch live video surveillance feeds as intermediaries for Mexican drug cartels purchased guns at licensed U.S. firearms dealers for transhipment south of the border--while ATF agents in the field were specificaly ordered not to stop the purchases, intercept the purchasers after they made their deals, or retrieve the guns after they were bought.
Two guns purchased in this Obama Administration project dubbed "Operation Fast and Furious" were eventually retrieved--at the scene in Arizona of the murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, who was gunned down by alleged operatives of the Mexican drug cartels. At a hearing of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee on Wedneday, Chairman Darrel Issa (R-Calif.) released an internal ATF e-mail from April 2010 that shows that Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson wanted the Web address for hidden cameras located inside Arizona gun stores where the straw purchases were allowed to happen. “With this information, Acting Director Melson was able to sit at his desk in Washington and himself watch a live feed of straw buyers entering the gun stores and purchasing dozens of AK-47 variants,” said Issa.

As part of “Operation Fast and Furious,” the ATF did nothing to stop the weapons from flowing to Mexican cartels because they were trying to track the guns. ATF Special Agent John Dodson from ATF’s Phoenix field division testified on Wednesday that Melson was well aware of the operation: “I recall in March of 2010, when Acting Director Melson came to the Phoenix Field Division, spoke about the case, knew the case agent by name, the group supervisor by name, and I believe even some of the defendants or would-be defendants in the case.” Dodson added that his former group supervisor, Dave Voth, came to Washington to brief officials at ATF headquarters, the Drug Enforcement Administration, and the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force that secured the funding for Operation Fast and Furious. All three are components of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).

Issa released two other ATF e-mails at Wednesday’s hearing as proof that “those at the highest level of ATF showed great interest” in Operation Fast and Furious. “A document displayed on the screen now shows that two of the most senior leaders in ATF, Acting Director Kenneth Melson and Acting Deputy Director Billy Hoover, were being briefed weekly on Fast and Furious,” Issa said. “The documents show that both Melson and Hoover were keenly interested in the case and updates.”

The third email “shows Deputy Assistant Director for Field Operations William McMahon was so excited about Fast and Furious that he received a special briefing on the program in Phoenix, scheduled a mere 45 minutes after his plane landed.” Issa told the committee that despite the “strong objection” of ATF field agents, Operation Fast and Furious continued – “and approximately 2,000 AK-47s and derivatives and some 50-caliber sniper rifles and others and 10,000 or more rounds of live ammunition went into the arsenals of the Mexican drug lords.”

ATF Director Could Watch Live Video of Cartel Gun Buys--While Permitting Them to Proceed | CNSnews.com

See also:

Gov't's Gun Scheme: ‘Loads of Weapons … for Criminals Was The Plan’
Thursday, June 16, 2011 - John Dodson, a special agent for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee yesterday that he was shocked when he discovered his agency was carrying out a plan specifically designed to deliver “loads of weapons” into the hands of criminals, including operatives purchasing guns for Mexican drug cartels
“This is not a matter of some weapons that had gotten away from us or allowing a few to walk so that we could follow them to a much larger, more significant target,” Dodson told the committee. “Allowing loads of weapons that we knew to be destined for criminals was the plan, this was the mandate.” Later under questioning from Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R.-Utah), Dodson reiterated that ATF agents were under orders to allow criminal they had under surveillance to purchase guns and to get away with them—something Dodson said the government knew would lead to their use in multiple crimes. "Yes. We were mandated, ‘Let these guns go,’" Dodson told the committee.

“Make no mistake,” said Dodson. “There was not a time we were out there on surveillance where we didn't have the forethought that these were going to be recovered in crimes. The next time we became aware of these guns would be when they were recovered at their final crime--not whatever crime they might have done. It was the last crime that they commit that--not they commit--but the person that has them commit that they're recovered in. “There may be nine or 10 that the cartels have perpetrated with those firearms prior to that date, but that recovery date is when we'll learn about it,” said Dodson.

In 2009, the Obama Administration began an operation—dubbed “Fast and Furious”--under the auspices of the ATF that allowed people known to be “straw purchasers” to buy guns at licensed firearms dealers in the United States. These purchasers were not stopped and the guns were never seized from them--unless and until they were actually caught in a crime. The reported purpose of the project was to track the guns back to leaders in the Mexican drug cartels. “This effort failed,” House Oversight Chairman Darrel Issa (R.-Calif.) said at Wednesday’s hearing.

“Over strong objection of the ATF field agents, the program continued, and approximately 2,000 AK-47s and derivatives and some 50- caliber sniper rifles and others and 10,000 or more rounds of live ammunition went into the arsenals of the Mexican drug lord,” Issa said. In his testimony before Issa’s committee, Agent Dodson registered the dismay he felt as he was ordered to participate in an operation that he knew, and his superiors knew, was handing over guns to criminals and cartel operatives. “When I became involved in this operation in late 2009, the ATF agents running it briefed me that the local Phoenix firearms dealers had provided them with a list of more than 40 individuals whom they believed to be purchasing guns for others--straw purchasers,” said Dodson. “Of these individuals, several were members or believed to have connections with Mexican drug cartels.”

“From the earliest days of that operation, after the briefing, I had no question that the individuals we were watching were acting as straw purchasers and that the weapons they purchased would soon be trafficked to Mexico and/or other locales along the southwest border or other places in the United States, and ultimately these firearms would be used in a violent crime,” Dodson told the committee. “However, we did nothing to intervene,” he said. “Over the course of the next 10 months that I was involved we monitored as they purchased handguns, AK-47 variants and .50-caliber rifles, almost daily at times. Rather than conduct any enforcement actions we took notes, we recorded observations, we tracked moments of these individuals, we were wrote reports, but nothing more, knowing all the while, just days sometimes after these purchases, the guns that we saw these individuals buy would begin turning up at crime scenes in the United States and in Mexico, and yet we still did nothing.”

More & video Gov't's Gun Scheme:

Ok ok! Yes maybe the US Government shipped arms to the Mexican Drug Cartels in violation of numerous National and International Laws. Bust trust me, everything else they do is squeaky clean!

Actually the worst thing that we have sent to Mexico is the notion that the government has the authority to prevent freemen from self-medicating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just in case anyone doesn't know what Operation Gunrunner is:

Project Gunrunner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Project Gunrunner is an exchange of information using software called eTrace, not flooding the boarder with automatic weapons.

This scandal is starting to make headlines again.

I see a pattern with the Obama Administration. They have several key issues they want to deal with. They seem to always have a crisis pop up to help them in dealing with it. It appears they wanted to use the death of a border patrol agent as a way to prove that guns were being shipped from the US. Problem is the ATF made the weapon that killed this agent available.

So, once again, a crisis that Obama's folks created boomeranged on him.

I am also surprised that the fucking Super Idiot Holder, who does everything ass-backwards, wasn't creative in his usually negative way and gone all out on that one.

In either case, the Super Idiot Holder is in a LOSE/LOSE situation: The Super Idiot is either responsible for issuing that idiotic "strategy"......Or, was, as usual, super incompetent, in that he didn't have a clue that something as important as that was occurring under his racist schnozzle.

ATF got egg on its face...
:eusa_eh:
U.S. Officials Behind 'Fast and Furious' Gun Sales Should Be Tried in Mexico, Lawmaker Says
July 05, 2011 | While the investigation continues into the U.S. operation that helped send thousands of guns south of the border, Mexican lawmakers say they'll press for extradition and prosecution in Mexico of American officials who authorized and ran the operation.
"I obviously feel violated. I feel my country's sovereignty was violated," Mexico Sen. Rene Arce Islas told Fox News. "They should be tried in the United States and the Mexican government should also demand that they also be tried in Mexico since the incidents took place here. There should be trials in both places." Arce is chairman of Mexico's Commission for National Security, a congressional panel similar to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee.

His point of view is shared by many Mexican politicians, including Sen. Santiago Creel, a former Interior Minister and the likely presidential nominee next year of the National Action Party to succeed Felipe Calderone, also of PAN. "I think we should at least try to prove that what happened in Mexico must be sanctioned by Mexican laws and under our sovereignty," Creel told us. "What can't happen is that this now ends on an administrative sanction, or a resignation. No, no, no. Human lives were lost here. A decision was made to carry out an operation that brought very high risk to human lives."

Mexico doesn't completely understand Operation Fast and Furious, the American plan to help send assault rifles and revolvers to Mexico as a means of exposing the gun trafficking rings that operate along the border. The project lasted 18 months and allowed some 2,500 guns to be illegally sold to suspects the U.S. government knew to be front men for the cartels. Rather than follow the guns and arrest the brokers and middle men who helped move the guns south, agents for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives dropped back and ignored the transfer and transport of the weapons to Mexico.

Just days after watching the guns be sold to these so-called straw buyers, those who bought the weapons illegally and then sold them illegally, the weapons showed up at crime scenes and seizures in Mexico. Rather than stop the operation and tell Mexican police, U.S. officials continued to prime the pump, telling gun stores to order more weapons and sell hundreds to just a few individuals.

Read more: U.S. Officials Behind 'Fast and Furious' Gun Sales Should Be Tried in Mexico, Lawmaker Says - FoxNews.com

Uncle Ferd says purt soon dey gonna be comin' up here an' shootin' us with our own guns...
:eek:
Mexican cartel leader claims gang buys all its guns in US
July 8, 2011 - But while the captured crime boss's announcement is sure to fuel the debate over gun control in the US, there is reason to view it with skepticism.
During an interview recorded by Mexico’s Ministry of Public Safety, Jesus Enrique Rejon, alias 'El Mamito,' told officials that the feared drug gang purchases all of its guns in the US. In the interview (the video of which is available here), Mr. Rejon claims the group used to sneak the arms through border checkpoints, but stricter security measures have forced them to smuggle them across the Rio Grande. He also alleged that the Zetas’ rival Gulf Cartels have an easier time bringing weapons across the border. “It got harder, but we can still get them,” Rejon said. “Those in the Gulf Cartel get them a lot easier; we don’t know why. It’s impossible to buy them and smuggle them in a vehicle trunk, but they do it. There must be a deal somewhere. I don’t know.”

It has long been known that gun stores in the American Southwest are a significant source of weaponry to Mexican cartels, a topic that InSight Crime has covered extensively in its GunRunners report. But while Rejon’s remark can be seen as a just another indictment of the availability of arms in US, there is reason to view it with skepticism. In reality, evidence suggests that US gun stores are only one source of weaponry for the Zetas. Much of their arms, especially heavy machine guns, high caliber rifles, and grenades, come from corrupt elements in the militaries of Central America.

One known source of these weapons is the Guatemalan military. In March and April of 2009, security officials in Guatemala raided two remote Zeta training camps and recovered an array of weaponry, ranging from landmines to rocket launchers. When traced, authorities discovered that much of this deadly equipment had come from a military warehouse in the capital. Although officials in the country have only admitted to three instances in which drug traffickers were able to obtain weapons from military arsenals, connections between the Zetas and the Guatemalan army are well documented, leading some to speculate that the country could be a major provider of military grade weapons to the group.

But Guatemala is not the only culprit; the military of neighboring El Salvador has been linked to the Zetas as well. Last spring, officials in the country arrested four soldiers and three officers who were attempting to sell military equipment to criminal elements in two separate incidents. Recently, Salvadoran Defense Minister David Munguia told local press that the equipment – which included more than a thousand hand grenades, several assault weapons, and military uniforms – were intended for a suspected Zeta cell in Guatemala. So while it is likely that the Zetas get most of their common weapons, such as civilian variants of AR-15s and the AK-47s, from “straw buyers” in the US, Rejon’s claim is inaccurate, and should be treated as such by US policymakers seeking to use it in the domestic gun control debate.

Source

There are some high powered people that need to be going to jail.....will they? Not under Holder....

IMO Holder has been even more dangerous to our American freedoms than BO.

Sadly nothing will ever be done about it until the States start getting together, once again, to get away from the Feds (like they did with King George and GB) and get back to the basics of individual freedom.

Guess the ATF don't want any competition...
:eusa_eh:
US to crack down on arms trafficking over Mexico border
July 14, 2011 - The US Justice Department has announced plans to cut arms trafficking into Mexico by monitoring the sale of assault rifles in border states in the wake of a scandal over the 'Fast and Furious' gun tracing operation.
According to Newsweek/The Daily Beast, which initially broke the story, the new rules could go into effect as early as next week. They will require gun stores to notify the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) when they sell two or more semi-automatic, magazine-loading weapons to an individual within a period of five business days. According to a statement by Deputy Attorney General James Cole, the move is intended to crack down on the so-called “straw buyer phenomenon,” in which individuals with clean backgrounds purchase assault weapons in order to sell them to cartel middlemen. InSight Crime reported extensively on this trend in its GunRunners report.

Although the ATF is implementing an electronic system which will speed up background checks for handgun purchasers and make them easier to trace, the main target of the regulations seems to be the sale of assault weapons. "This new reporting measure – tailored to focus only on multiple sales of these types of rifles to the same person within a five-day period – will improve the ability of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to detect and disrupt the illegal weapons trafficking networks responsible for diverting firearms from lawful commerce to criminals and criminal organizations," Cole said.

Additionally, the department has mandated tougher penalties for straw buyers, hoping to deter people from aiding criminal groups. The policy shift is expected to be met with major resistance by gun rights advocates, who claim that it amounts to a backdoor method of circumventing the Second Amendment without congressional approval. According to Politico’s Josh Gerstein, the National Rifle Association has vowed to sue the Obama administration the instant the ATF sends its first batch of information requests to gun dealers. However, they may have a difficult case on their hands, as the measures only catalogue purchases, and do not actually prevent them.

MORE

Forum List

Back