ATF Fast and Furious: New documents show Attorney General Eric Holder was briefed in

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
ATF Fast and Furious: New documents show Attorney General Eric Holder was briefed in July 2010 - CBS News Investigates - CBS News

WASHINGTON - New documents obtained by CBS News show Attorney General Eric Holder was sent briefings on the controversial Fast and Furious operation as far back as July 2010. That directly contradicts his statement to Congress

On May 3, 2011, Holder told a Judiciary Committee hearing, "I'm not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks."

Yet internal Justice Department documents show that at least ten months before that hearing, Holder began receiving frequent memos discussing Fast and Furious.

Read more at the link:

Well this certainly is impeachable as it's far, far worst then Clintons sex lies or even Nixions water gate. No one died in both of thoses, but over 200 mexicans are now dead with what Obama and holder did with a border agent. This is not only impeachable, but has prison time and possibly more. :evil:

Last edited:
"Operation Fast and Furious" was started under Bush, back in 2006. I'm sure that Holder knew about it earlier than 2010.

"Project Gunrunner", which was part of "Operation Fast and Furious" was the only part of F&F that's controversial - and that didn't start until 2010, and it's unlikely that Holder "knew" about it.

"Operation Fast and Furious" was started under Bush, back in 2006. I'm sure that Holder knew about it earlier than 2010.

"Project Gunrunner", which was part of "Operation Fast and Furious" was the only part of F&F that's controversial - and that didn't start until 2010, and it's unlikely that Holder "knew" about it.

correct me if I am wrong but this is a distinction with little difference. the charts the west wing nat. sec. adviser had reflected the information that is the center of the issue- and which is reflected in the e mails etc.; the guns going to Mexico with no recourse.

Wrong.

ATF Project Gunrunner has a stated official objective to stop the sale and export of guns from the United States into Mexico in order to deny Mexican drug cartels the firearms considered "tools of the trade". However, since September 2009 under Project Gunrunner, Operation "Fast and Furious", did the opposite by ATF permitting, encouraging and facilitating 'straw purchase' firearm sales to traffickers, and allowing the guns to 'walk' and be transported to Mexico. This has resulted in the death of US border agent Brian Terry and considerable controversy.
^ "Project Gunrunner". BATFE (BATFE). 2011-02-17. ATF Online - Firearms - Programs - Project Gunrunner. Retrieved 2011-02-26.

Wrong.

ATF Project Gunrunner has a stated official objective to stop the sale and export of guns from the United States into Mexico in order to deny Mexican drug cartels the firearms considered "tools of the trade". However, since September 2009 under Project Gunrunner, Operation "Fast and Furious", did the opposite by ATF permitting, encouraging and facilitating 'straw purchase' firearm sales to traffickers, and allowing the guns to 'walk' and be transported to Mexico. This has resulted in the death of US border agent Brian Terry and considerable controversy.
^ "Project Gunrunner". BATFE (BATFE). 2011-02-17. ATF Online - Firearms - Programs - Project Gunrunner. Retrieved 2011-02-26.

You're right.

Apologies to all. I was confusing the two.

correct me if I am wrong but this is a distinction with little difference. the charts the west wing nat. sec. adviser had reflected the information that is the center of the issue- and which is reflected in the e mails etc.; the guns going to Mexico with no recourse.

Sorry, I was confused, and mixed the two up. Nevermind.

Are we gettin' a mixed message here?...
:eusa_eh:
‘Calm down’ about Fast and Furious gun sting, ATF acting director says
October 5`11 - The new acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives announced a major shake-up of his agency Wednesday and urged Washington insiders to “calm down” about the latest revelations surrounding a controversial ATF gun operation.
B. Todd Jones said calm is needed as he begins rebuilding the beleaguered agency, including shuffling top personnel. He made his comments as his boss, Attorney General Eric J. Holder Jr., came under fire this week from Republican lawmakers, with one calling for a special counsel to investigate Holder’s role in the Fast and Furious gun-trafficking operation. Fast and Furious, a Phoenix gun sting that began in 2009, allowed small-time straw purchasers to pass firearms to middlemen, who then trafficked the guns to Mexico. The fury over the tactics, which resulted in more than 2,000 illegally purchased firearms hitting the streets, has led to the reassignment of the ATF’s former acting director and others, and the resignation of the U.S. attorney in Arizona.

On Tuesday, Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Tex.), the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, asked President Obama to appoint a special counsel to investigate whether Holder told the truth to Congress at a hearing on May 3 about Fast and Furious. Smith made his request a day after Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, released new documents from the Justice Department that he said indicate that Holder was told about Fast and Furious as early as July 2010, although he told Congress in May that he had just learned about it.

A copy of a weekly report, obtained Monday by The Washington Post, was sent to Holder on July 5, 2010, from Michael F. Walther, the director of the National Drug Intelligence Center. A paragraph notes a Phoenix investigation called “Operation Fast and the Furious,” which involved a trafficking ring with straw buyers responsible for the purchase of 1,500 firearms that were then supplied to Mexican drug cartels. The report said the group had ties to the Sinaloa Cartel, suspected of providing $1 million for the purchase of guns. The document did not explain that the ATF was in effect watching this happen without immediately trying to intervene, the issue at the heart of the controversy.

On Oct. 18, 2010, another weekly report, this one from Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer, was sent to Holder noting “Phoenix-based Operation Fast and Furious.” Justice Department spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler said Holder became aware of the questionable tactics of allowing the guns to walk — or move without ATF interdiction — only when ATF agents first flagged them publicly in March. Holder then asked the agency’s inspector general to conduct an investigation, which is ongoing.

But Issa said the documents show that Holder was not being truthful during the May 3 congressional hearing. At the hearing, Issa asked Holder: “When did you first know about the program officially, I believe, called Fast and Furious?” Holder answered: “I’m not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks.”

MORE

See also:

Embattled ATF shakes up staff
10/6/11 : The head of the ATF announced a major shakeup Wednesday in the wake of the botched Fast and Furious gun program.
“We are going to hit the reset button,” acting Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Director B. Todd Jones, who has been at his new post for a little over a month, said during a press conference, The Associated Press reports. Jones unveiled 11 new staff assignments at the executive level, including the appointment of a new deputy director and assistant directors for field operations and for public and governmental affairs. The changes are aimed at giving the ATF a fresh jolt of energy in its mission to fight violent crime, Jones said in a written statement.

The Washington Post reported that Jones “urged Washington insiders to ‘calm down’” about the latest developments in Fast and Furious, but the paper provided no other details about his comments. Jones replaced former acting director Ken Melson more than a month ago, amid the growing controversy over the gun operation. “I have great confidence that he will be a strong and steady influence guiding ATF in fulfilling its mission of combating violent crime by enforcing federal criminal laws and regulations in the firearms and explosives industries,” Attorney General Eric Holder had said in announcing Jones’s appointment.

Holder has come under fierce criticism over the Fast and Furious gun sting since documents surfaced suggesting the attorney general may have known about the controversial program earlier than he had told Congress. Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) has called for a special counsel to investigate whether Holder had misled members of Congress in a recent testimony. The White House expressed its full support for Holder on Wednesday, saying the attorney general’s testimony to Congress was “consistent and truthful.” “He said in both March and May of this year that he became aware of the questionable tactics employed in the Fast and Furious operation in early 2011, when ATF agents first raised them publicly. And he then asked the Inspector General’s Office to investigate the matter, demonstrating how seriously he took them,” White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters in a press briefing.

Carney’s language mirrored, largely verbatim, the statement being circulated by the Justice Department this week: a DoJ official told POLITICO on Wednesday that Holder’s testimony was “consistent and truthful.” “He said in both March and May of this year that he became aware of the questionable tactics employed in the Fast and Furious Operation in early 2011 when ATF agents first raised them publicly, and at the time, he asked the Inspector General’s office to investigate the matter,” the official said in an email. Fast and Furious allowed ATF to purchase illegal firearms in Phoenix with the intention of tracking the weapons to gun traffickers. But the agency lost track of more than 2,000 firearms, and many were later discovered in crime scenes in Mexico.

Read more: Embattled ATF shakes up staff - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com

New Topics

Forum List

Back