ATF Atrocity

What kind of a people are we, when, as a jury, and confronted with the fact that a weapon broke down and misfired, we go along with the government and call it a machine gun and send the defendant to prison?

This is what I do not understand. It seems the jury would either have to be brain dead, or they never were informed during the trial that the gun fired automatically due to a malfunction. Of course, we have seen jury decisions in the past that completely ignore the evidence, so maybe it was just a brain dead jury.

While I still have questions about this case, it certainly does seem a great miscarriage of justice. I am one of those who was very upset with OJ Simpson's recent conviction. While most were ecstatic over the conviction, it was a bad conviction. When our system allows anyone to be convicted when they are innocent or the charges are greater than the supposed crime, it opens the possibility that other truly innocent people can be convicted.

Prosecutors only care about winning, regardless of the facts. Many would rather get a conviction than see an innocent person go free if it will hurt their prosecution record. They have little remorse for what they put people through in doing so. The old addage that a jury must be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt has gone out the window. Now juries convict or acquit based on who makes the best case. Reasonable doubt does not seem to be a factor any longer.

I've always said it is better to acquit a guilty person than it is to convict someone who is innocent.

Last edited:
I smells a rat. I need more info.

Me too.

Like what, for instance?

1. If things are as they appear from the info posted then the US criminal justice system in this area at least is corrupt. If the federal government can pull this sort of stuff you're in big trouble.

2. If the story is bullshit then it has to exposed as bullshit.

I need to find out where I can read about the case, I don't expect transcripts but is there a place I can read the court's decision?

Kiernicki testified Olofson told him the third position was for automatic firing, but it jammed, court records indicate. He also testified Olofson told him he had fired the weapon on the automatic setting at that same range without a problem, according to the records.

I think that's hearsay. If it was admitted as evidence then there must be an inclusionary rule at work here. In my jurisdiction it is entirely possible to have hearsay admitted (with the appropriate weighting) but some fairly tight rules have to be adhered to.

A search of his home turned up books on converting rifles to fully automatic, and e-mail on his computer showed he bought M-16 parts, records show.

That evidence could possibly be admitted here under the similar fact evidence rule. It shows a propensity.

Olofson had contact with vigilante groups and professed to be part of the sovereign movement, which doesn't acknowledge federal laws as applying to them, Haanstad said.

Reality check.

Okay, that's a bit better.

Journalist Bill Moushey wrote for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 22 November 1998:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hundreds of times during the past 10 years, federal agents and prosecutors have pursued justice by breaking the law. They lied, hid evidence, distorted facts, engaged in cover-ups, paid for perjury and set up innocent people in a relentless effort to win indictments, guilty pleas and convictions, a two-year Post-Gazette investigation found. Rarely were these federal officials punished for their misconduct. Rarely did they admit their conduct was wrong. New laws and court rulings that encourage federal law enforcement officers to press the boundaries of their power while providing few safeguards against abuse fueled their actions. Victims of this misconduct sometimes lost their jobs, assets and even families. Some remain in prison because prosecutors withheld favorable evidence or allowed fabricated testimony. Some criminals walk free as a reward for conspiring with the government in its effort to deny others their rights.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Win at all costs

Kiernicki testified Olofson told him the third position was for automatic firing, but it jammed, court records indicate. He also testified Olofson told him he had fired the weapon on the automatic setting at that same range without a problem, according to the records.
I think that's hearsay. If it was admitted as evidence then there must be an inclusionary rule at work here. In my jurisdiction it is entirely possible to have hearsay admitted (with the appropriate weighting) but some fairly tight rules have to be adhered to.

A search of his home turned up books on converting rifles to fully automatic, and e-mail on his computer showed he bought M-16 parts, records show.
That evidence could possibly be admitted here under the similar fact evidence rule. It shows a propensity.

Olofson had contact with vigilante groups and professed to be part of the sovereign movement, which doesn't acknowledge federal laws as applying to them, Haanstad said.
Reality check.

Quite the charmer, eh?

Quite the charmer, eh?

I'm not surprised the ATF built a case. I admit I was a bit nonplussed at first. The more I read about it the more I'm un-nonplussed.
Lou Dobbs never presents all the facts, I've noticed.

I don't know who he is, I don't get CNN as I don't have cable and in any case our CNN isn't your domestic CNN.

But he sounds like he plays fast and loose.

I admit I was a bit sus about this case, I did think this bloke was getting railroaded. I'm not so sure now. I still would need to read a lot more before being convinced all was above board but I know bullshit and propaganda when I see it and I'm starting to think there's a bit of that around.

Reality check.

Quite the charmer, eh?

Which has exactly nothing to do with whether the weapon was an automatic or not.

Which has exactly nothing to do with whether the weapon was an automatic or not.

No, it's much more complex, it actually goes to the veracity of the charge against the defendant but please do continue to take a laughingly simplistic approach to cases like this.

Last edited:

No, it's much more complex, it actually goes to the veracity of the charge against the defendant but please do continue to take a laughingly simpllstic approach to cases like this.

Just because one owns books on weapons and how to change them does not mean they have done so. Further IF he had altered the weapon they would have been able to charge him with OWNING a Machine Gun. They could not because the weapon was NOT altered. I suggest YOU stop with the simplistic garbage.

The weapon malfunctioned. This is a case of the Government going after someone they personally do not like and doing so illegally. They do not like his associations so used this to get him. The word for that is despotic.

"...we know that the government has evidence of Mr. Olofson's innocence and through discovery they are required to provide the defense with this, what they term exculpatory information, because the government knows that Mr. Olofson is innocent and there are a couple of reasons that the government knows that Mr. Olofson is innocent because at the same time they were prosecuting Mr. Olofson for illegal transfer of a machine gun, they said it was because it contained the M-16 trigger parts but what they refused to show the judge was that SGW Olympic Arms prior to 1986 made all AR-15 semi-automatic rifles with M-16 trigger parts and that the government in 1986 recognized that there was a possibility of a malfunctioning occurring with certain ammunition, depending on the wear of the gun, fouling and that the guns could go full auto without the user knowing it and they posed a safety hazard and that the ATF mandated Olympic Arms to recall all of these guns and modify the trigger component so that this malfunction couldn't happen. We asked the government to produce this evidence so that the judge and the jury could see it. Mr. Olofson's attorneys asked for it and the ATF chief counsels' office responded to the US attorneys' office and said that it contained tax information, therefore, it would be against the law for the judge to even view the document and that His Honor would have to take the ATF chief counsels' office at their word..." — Len Savage - Radio Interview

Okay - on the face of it this is a fit-up on this bloke. If there isn't more to it than what appears in the linked article then this stinks.

I have been through a similar type of ridiculous raid and it can be just as simple as what we have read. Mine was. Mine was done in a public place, out in the open, so they could not apply as much force, though they still ended up stealing things. I was charged, but, never prosecuted and I did receive an apology, but, never did get the material property returned, only the cash. I was fortunate in the fact that I had those on my side who could have made a public spectacle of the injustice with just a few phone calls. Further, my charges ended up being state charges and not federal, in terms of prosecution. This also helped.

...........And yes, I was 100% innocent but still was raided and railroaded.

I support tough law enforcement, but, fairness and common sense must prevail and dictate.

Neither Olofson nor his friend was charged with possession of an unregistered machinegun or with illegally manufacturing, modifying, or otherwise making a machinegun. Obviously ATF did not believe they could convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Olofson or his friend had intentionally altered the rifle to fire full-auto so they prosecuted on the easier charge of transferring. Everyone agreed that the gun belonged to Olofson and that he had loaned it to his friend. That meant that the only issue in question in the case was whether the gun was a machinegun. Since ATF is the final arbiter in determining whether a gun is a machinegun, and the law defining machineguns tends to be selectively interpreted by them, the government had a distinct advantage.

As a matter of fact, when the ATF Firearms Technical Branch (FTB) examined the rifle they concluded that it was not a machinegun. They did find that if the Safety switch was moved beyond its normal range of motion, the gun would fire once and jam, leaving a loaded round in the chamber. They determined that moving the Safety in such a way interfered with the trigger disconnector causing the hammer to follow the bolt as it returned to battery rather than being stopped by the sear; a fairly common malfunction known as hammer-follow.

At the request of the local ATF agent, the FTB tested the gun a second time using a brand of .223 ammunition known for having sensitive primers. Those tests resulted in intermittent, unregulated, automatic fire and jamming due to hammer-follow, but this time the FTB concluded that, under strict interpretation of the law, the gun’s malfunction did make it a machinegun.

The cornerstone of this charge is the government’s contention that it doesn’t matter whether a gun fires multiple shots as a result of malfunction or modification because the law defines a machinegun as; “… any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.” While on the witness stand, firearms expert Len Savage asked the Assistant US Attorney prosecuting the case if that would make his grandfather’s old double-gun a machinegun if it malfunctioned and fired both barrels with one pull of the trigger. The AUSA responded by paraphrasing the legal definition of a machinegun with emphasis placed on “any weapon which shoots… more than one shot… by a single function of the trigger.”

In the Olofson case, the government entered into evidence a tightly edited video clip of one of their testers firing Olofson’s gun for a relatively long full-auto string. The cyclic rate was estimated to be near 1700 rounds per minute, more than twice that of a properly regulated M16. The shooter clearly understood the danger involved as he was holding the firearm well away from his face and body in obvious fear that the rifle would break apart at any moment.

At the government’s insistence, the court refused to allow Olofson’s firearms expert to physically examine the gun; he was only allowed to observe as an ATF employee took the gun through a function check and opened the action to his view. What he saw were standard, unaltered components of the same type and configuration that were included in this particular brand of rifle from the factory over two decades ago; parts that are known by ATF to produce exactly the type of malfunction noted and in response to which ATF had once ordered a safety recall.

If this guy broke the law by altering this weapon, he deserves to go to prison, but from what I'm reading, there is no evidence that this firearm was altered.

The Firearms Coalition - Olofson's Troubles

Last edited:
Enter Len Savage (See “Failing the Test,” July 2005), President of Historic Arms, LLC, brought in by Olofson’s defense to testify the automatic fire was not by design or intent, but rather by mechanical failure, and that the firearm in question was simply a semiautomatic rifle that needed to be repaired.

The opposition would have none of that. Savage was not permitted to personally examine the rifle — not even to touch it. He was required to observe as the ATF officer opened it for inspection. His professional credentials were challenged by the prosecution, who wanted his testimony excluded, even though Savage is a firearm designer by profession, and the government’s expert witness received all of his training in the 2-1/2 years he’d been with the bureau. Then the prosecution reneged on its pledge not to sequester witnesses, and had Savage removed from the courtroom so he could not hear the government’s testimony.

So in the end, it didn’t matter this was merely a case of a “hammer follow.”

It didn’t matter the rifle in question had not been intentionally modified for select fire, or that it did not have an M16 bolt carrier or sear, that it did not show any signs of machining or drilling, or that that model had even been recalled a few years back.

It didn’t matter that, when asked if he’d test fired the gun, Savage testified “From my examination and from what I saw on the [ATF test] video I wouldn’t want to attempt it … the video shows the guy who was shooting it was so afraid to fire it from the shoulder he had to hold it out in front of him. So he knew it was dangerous.”

It didn’t matter the government had repeatedly failed to replicate automatic fire until they replaced the ammunition with a softer primer type. It didn’t even matter that the prosecution admitted it was not important to prove the gun would do it again if the test were conducted today.

What mattered was the government’s position that none of the above was relevant because “[T]here’s no indication it makes any difference under the statute. If you pull the trigger once and it fires more than one round, no matter what the cause it’s a machine gun.”

No matter what the cause.

GUNS Magazine GUNS Rights Watch

Forum List

Back