At What Point...

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Do you just lock them up and throw away the key?

I just saw a story from my local news about a forty-four year old guy who has been arrested sixty some-odd times since 1985. His crimes run the gamut, burglary, drugs, suspected murder, assault, you name it this dirtbag has probably done it. Now the local constabulary looking to arrest him for another B&E.

This gentlman has obviously proven that he has absolutely no interest whatsoever in living by the rules. There is no question about it.

So why not lock him up for the rest of his life?

I just saw a story from my local news about a forty-four year old guy who has been arrested sixty some-odd times since 1985. His crimes run the gamut, burglary, drugs, suspected murder, assault, you name it this dirtbag has probably done it. Now the local constabulary looking to arrest him for another B&E.

This gentlman has obviously proven that he has absolutely no interest whatsoever in living by the rules. There is no question about it.

Because he hasn't killed anyone. He can do what he likes but until he kills someone, he will always be able to walk from prison. Sad, but I imagine this is the reason.

Over here, we have people who have been convicted of drunk driving a dozen times, yet because they haven't killed anyone, they walk free every time.

If you continue to break the law, lock em up and throw away the key. That's what I think.

Now if he was a stoner, he'd probably already be in prison.

Stoners make good slave laborers, criminals don't.

Over here, we have people who have been convicted of drunk driving a dozen times, yet because they haven't killed anyone, they walk free every time.

no they don't. They get sentenced to prison terms..

I recall reading a case about a man convicted of drunk driving nine times, and he walked free with a suspended sentence.
Which country are you speaking of?

I guess the price for liberty and freedom is that we don't easily take any one man's liberty and freedom away. Societal wise it is a small price to pay to allow the misfit to commit infractions, pay his debt to society, and go free only to re-offend.

I too share the personal frustration of not being able to control another individual, but if any one of his crimes were great he'd be locked away a very long time.

But...The day we easily take away freedom and liberty from individuals is the day we devalue our most cherished principles and ideals.

I dislike mandatory sentencing because it is antithetical to everything America stood for and stands for. Mandatory sentencing and a few other law and order conservative ideals clash with all the enlightenment had to offer society when we in the west came out of the dark ages, and it is to the enlightenment that we in the west owe our ideals.

We value liberty, freedom, and justice so much, we've allowed our system to let the guilty go free on technicalities in order that one innocent man does not have his liberty and freedom taken away.

I could go on but...

Three strike laws are a good thing....
Nope. they are as dumb as the war on drugs. maybe dumber

most judges (non elected) agree. I know crazy states have elected judges...

Mandatory sentencing is too much like the ballot initiative process in CA. It cripples the system it pretends to assist.

Direct democracy, populist idiocies, mob mentality...

I disagree. It depends on what those three strikes are...

There are always exceptions to rules...
It's why most all mandatory sentencing -- mandatory sentencing as a principle -- is terrible.

I would love people who maim or murder law enforcement to receive a swift death...but we cannot trust the state to always play by the rules...and the life of on innocent man is not up for grabs...unless it is your life, or the life of your child or spouse you are willing to sacrifice as a pawn in a game of law and order

I guess the price for liberty and freedom is that we don't easily take any one man's liberty and freedom away. Societal wise it is a small price to pay to allow the misfit to commit infractions, pay his debt to society, and go free only to re-offend.

I too share the personal frustration of not being able to control another individual, but if any one of his crimes were great he'd be locked away a very long time.

But...The day we easily take away freedom and liberty from individuals is the day we devalue our most cherished principles and ideals.

I dislike mandatory sentencing because it is antithetical to everything America stood for and stands for. Mandatory sentencing and a few other law and order conservative ideals clash with all the enlightenment had to offer society when we in the west came out of the dark ages, and it is to the enlightenment that we in the west owe our ideals.

We value liberty, freedom, and justice so much, we've allowed our system to let the guilty go free on technicalities in order that one innocent man does not have his liberty and freedom taken away.

I could go on but...

I know in my heart you are right, but damn. Just damn...

I disagree. It depends on what those three strikes are...

There are always exceptions to rules...
It's why most all mandatory sentencing -- mandatory sentencing as a principle -- is terrible.

I would love people who maim or murder law enforcement to receive a swift death...but we cannot trust the state to always play by the rules...and the life of on innocent man is not up for grabs...unless it is your life, or the life of your child or spouse you are willing to sacrifice as a pawn in a game of law and order
I couldn't agree more. I also dislike mandatory sentencing. And, as some already know, I am anti-DP for exactly that reason - we know the government makes mistakes.

These sorts of liberties, IMO, are THE most fundamental of them all. Better to err on the side of the shitbag who goes free than the innocent who has these rights taken away or even is killed.

Forum List

Back