CDZ At what point as a child after you comprehended death did you stop worrying about it?

We have no choice coming into this world and we have no choice when we go out. Why worry?

Remember as a young child when you first grasped the concept that you are going to die some day? When did you stop obsessively worrying about it? The worst I can remember is from maybe 3 to 5 or so. I remember being scared and unable to sleep because old age and death was creeping up on me and there was nothing I could do about it. There had to be a solution to the problem. I was frustrated because I couldn't figure out a solution no matter how hard I racked my brain and it was like a slow feeling of impending doom. Then, I eventually said screw it and lived my life at about 5 or so, figuring that if I couldn't do anything about, I wouldn't think about it and I would simply try to enjoy my life. At what age did you stop being scared of old age and dying when you were a child?

Children are afraid of death because their reality is rooted in the status quo. Some people never grow out of that fear. One of the blessings of grandchildren is that one can understand the necessity and desirability of making room for them.

I find it difficult to believe that my experience of fearing death as a child and dealing with it successfully at a certain point is unique. Let's say you have a 5 year old kid who can't sleep because he is worried about getting old and dying. Do you lie to him and tell him he will live forever so that he can deal with it at a later age? Do you convince him of an afterlife to make him feel better? Do you explain the facts of life to him and let him deal with it on his own?

I find it difficult to believe that my experience of fearing death as a child and dealing with it successfully at a certain point is unique. Let's say you have a 5 year old kid who can't sleep because he is worried about getting old and dying. Do you lie to him and tell him he will live forever so that he can deal with it at a later age? Do you convince him of an afterlife to make him feel better? Do you explain the facts of life to him and let him deal with it on his own?
You take him to go see a counselor unless he has just experienced someone dying. If thats the case you tell him the truth. Kids are pretty indestructible and deal with the truth better than adults.

Remember as a young child when you first grasped the concept that you are going to die some day? When did you stop obsessively worrying about it? The worst I can remember is from maybe 3 to 5 or so. I remember being scared and unable to sleep because old age and death was creeping up on me and there was nothing I could do about it. There had to be a solution to the problem. I was frustrated because I couldn't figure out a solution no matter how hard I racked my brain and it was like a slow feeling of impending doom. Then, I eventually said screw it and lived my life at about 5 or so, figuring that if I couldn't do anything about, I wouldn't think about it and I would simply try to enjoy my life. At what age did you stop being scared of old age and dying when you were a child?

I never worried about it. 61 years later, I still don't worry about it.

I have no control over when I go whatsoever, beyond maybe putting off the inevitable with better health and exercise.

I don't worry about things I can't do anything about.

At what age did you stop being scared of old age and dying when you were a child?
I never did.

There is no point in worrying about what you cannot control.

When I found evidence to believe that there is in fact a Creator in high school, I reasoned that this life cannot be the end of our story or else why would He have made us?

We are made in such a way that we need to believe in a Creator like we need to breath air and get sunlight. He is part of our mental health environment and I pity the folks who 'cannot find' reason to believe in Him.

Its like they fell down and cant get up.

I was not happy to learn that life was not forever...that we all die one day like roses on a vine....
We most certainly do live forever.

Our biological lives will end but our souls will exist forever like an atom will, for all practical purposes.

I never worried about my own death. I remember being around 5 when I was very worried and said to my dad, "I don't want you to die". He replied, "I'm not going to die". He seemed very confident so I didn't' worry about it until 60 years later when he did die.

I still worry about others more than myself. You don't have to live with your own death, but others do.

Forum List

Back