At what age should a cop retire?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
I was speaking with a cop friend of mine that just retired at the age of 52 after 30 years of service (he got another job). I don't think he can collect his pension until he's 55, but he said he had to get out. He wasn't as physically fit as he should be and his patience for punks that spit at cops was wearing thin.

Here in NJ and elsewhere, politicians are trying to raise the retirement age to 65. They would like to see this for teachers as well. I know teachers with over 30 years that are burnt out.

At what age does a cop (or a teacher) cease being effective?

this played out so much on law and order as briscoe aged and couldnt keep up ....his partners would cover for him....

i have no idea...young cops can be just as burned out as older cops....older cops have a lot of experience and have seen a lot of mal....of course its easier on cops in rural areas....till some nut kills one of them....then it hits home that their job is so dangerous....my neighbor about a mile or so up.....was killed years ago....in the line of duty.....he knew the guy since high school....so he got out of the car first to go reason with him......the first shot killed him.....the 2nd shot took out the other deputies eye.....police from 3 states surrounded the area but the shooter has them pinned down....he had the high ground and held it....till his ex got there and talked him out.....mr hicks is dead....mr coffey has lost an eye.....would younger cops been more on their toes....i have often wondered about that...the shooter was too mentally ill to stand trial....

Depends on the cop, I suppose.

But after 30 years service, I do not begrudge anybody their retirement bennies.

Wow bones. That's awful. Certainly younger people are more fit. The armed services does not recruit anyone over 40, and at a certain age they are given desk jobs.

I just think people are being impractical when they say they want all public servants to work until 65. As RGS said, there are certainly individual circumstances in every job, but a pension system has to pick an age.

Do people honestly want a 65 year old cop chasing criminals? Do they want a teacher who has been in the classroom for 43 years? What will happen is that people who are less effective and perhaps even hate their job at that point will be staying way past their prime. Not a good idea IMHO.

I was speaking with a cop friend of mine that just retired at the age of 52 after 30 years of service (he got another job). I don't think he can collect his pension until he's 55, but he said he had to get out. He wasn't as physically fit as he should be and his patience for punks that spit at cops was wearing thin.

Here in NJ and elsewhere, politicians are trying to raise the retirement age to 65. They would like to see this for teachers as well. I know teachers with over 30 years that are burnt out.

At what age does a cop (or a teacher) cease being effective?

That should be decided by the individual working. Like your friend, he knew he had to get out.

We dont need laws or regulations telling us when we are ready to retire ;)

Yes, but we are talking about the state pension system. Under the new regs, this guy would have to stay 13 more years to collect his pension. Many people will not be able to afford to leave before they are fully vested.

I realize we can say this about any job that is stressful or physically challenging, but I am speaking specifically about what has been proposed around the nation. In NJ, it will affect a half million state workers.

I think my husband's 401K can be touched at 59 1/2.

30 years of about anything is too much. My dad worked underground for 31 years and could not draw his UMWA pension until 4 years later because they use your years of service and age to determine when you get your money. Those were 4 lean years for mom and dad.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back