At the Euthanasia Party

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
Kind of reminds me of one of those Star Trek episodes where a guy turned 65 and was required to return to his planet to be euthanized....hey...it was the law!!!!

A Canadian man with diabetes named Dan Laramie, whose illness had advanced to the point he would need amputations, decided to be lethally injected instead. He was killed by his doctor to cheers and applause from family and friends at his euthanasia party — at which photos were taken to commemorate the event, and perhaps, to send along with the story to the media. From the Daily Mail story:

She said music was played an important part in the end-of-life celebration and he had even written 30 songs while he was in hospital.

Speaking after the party [Laramie’s wife] Stef said: ‘I don’t really feel loss, we don’t need any sorrow at this time and I don’t know if that sounds rude.

‘We had a really amazing relationship, if he had died in a way that we had no notion of it or by surprise then it would be a sorrowful thing. But I don’t think dying should be sorrowful.’

His friends, sister, son, daughter, grandchildren and some of his nurses all came to the party.

So, let me ask you, my dear readers, to ponder: If invited to such a “party,” would you go?

It could be an agonizing decision. Attend, and it seems to me you become complicit in the suicide/homicide. You validate it. You affirm to the suicidal patient that his or her worst fears about continuing to live are true, such as: my life can never have meaning again; I will die in agony; I won’t be remembered well; I am a burden, etc.

But refuse, and you could feel guilty for not being with your loved one at his or her death. Moreover, your family supporting the suicide/killing could ostracize you. “How dare you judge grandma! How dare you not be there to support her ‘choice’!”

Getting Restless; Time to Die
Back at the euthanasia party, people were getting restless, and so it was time to get on with the killing:

Once Dan signed the papers and said he was ready, his family gathered at his bedside. Stef explained: ‘You could see sort of an energy in the room where people could feel that it was time.

‘It was a really blessed evening. It happened a little later than we had planned so you could feel people getting a little bit restless. ‘The doctor came down, he was beside us and the nurse, the pair of them brought such light and beauty into this assistance.

‘I can’t even tell you how beautiful the smile in his eyes was, he was so ready and it felt like everything we had talked about , that we planned about all these people made it the perfect exit.’

She said after he received three injections, his eyes closed and she gave him a kiss.

Stef said that Dan wanted a round of applause as he died so everybody cheered for him.

‘The release of all that energy, it was really great. There were a lot of things that were very comforting and Dan just loved every minute of it.’

These death events — this is far from the first such story about euthanasia parties — are being publicized in the service of normalizing euthanasia as the best way to die. It’s the real “death with dignity,” don’t you know? The goal, I believe, is to push society toward the point that having oneself killed becomes the expectation, not the exception.

Is this kind of thing right or wrong? It depends on one’s values and moral beliefs. Some may see it as empowering, dying “his own way,” as the media continually put it.

Others, as I do, see darkness and nihilism in cheering on death, an (often unintentional) abandonment of people at their darkest hour. Indeed, this story reminds me of Canadian journalist Andrew Coyne’s cogent warningagainst the culture of death from many years ago:

A society that believes in nothing can offer no argument even against death. A culture that has lost its faith in life cannot comprehend why it should be endured.

Cross-posted at The Corner.

As long as there was open bar. I mean, what else are they gonna spend their money on?
I completely support assisted suicide as well.

Kind of reminds me of one of those Star Trek episodes where a guy turned 65 and was required to return to his planet to be euthanized....hey...it was the law!!!!

A Canadian man with diabetes named Dan Laramie, whose illness had advanced to the point he would need amputations, decided to be lethally injected instead. He was killed by his doctor to cheers and applause from family and friends at his euthanasia party — at which photos were taken to commemorate the event, and perhaps, to send along with the story to the media. From the Daily Mail story:

She said music was played an important part in the end-of-life celebration and he had even written 30 songs while he was in hospital.

Speaking after the party [Laramie’s wife] Stef said: ‘I don’t really feel loss, we don’t need any sorrow at this time and I don’t know if that sounds rude.

‘We had a really amazing relationship, if he had died in a way that we had no notion of it or by surprise then it would be a sorrowful thing. But I don’t think dying should be sorrowful.’

His friends, sister, son, daughter, grandchildren and some of his nurses all came to the party.

So, let me ask you, my dear readers, to ponder: If invited to such a “party,” would you go?

It could be an agonizing decision. Attend, and it seems to me you become complicit in the suicide/homicide. You validate it. You affirm to the suicidal patient that his or her worst fears about continuing to live are true, such as: my life can never have meaning again; I will die in agony; I won’t be remembered well; I am a burden, etc.

But refuse, and you could feel guilty for not being with your loved one at his or her death. Moreover, your family supporting the suicide/killing could ostracize you. “How dare you judge grandma! How dare you not be there to support her ‘choice’!”

Back at the euthanasia party, people were getting restless, and so it was time to get on with the killing:

Once Dan signed the papers and said he was ready, his family gathered at his bedside. Stef explained: ‘You could see sort of an energy in the room where people could feel that it was time.

‘It was a really blessed evening. It happened a little later than we had planned so you could feel people getting a little bit restless. ‘The doctor came down, he was beside us and the nurse, the pair of them brought such light and beauty into this assistance.

‘I can’t even tell you how beautiful the smile in his eyes was, he was so ready and it felt like everything we had talked about , that we planned about all these people made it the perfect exit.’

She said after he received three injections, his eyes closed and she gave him a kiss.

Stef said that Dan wanted a round of applause as he died so everybody cheered for him.

‘The release of all that energy, it was really great. There were a lot of things that were very comforting and Dan just loved every minute of it.’

These death events — this is far from the first such story about euthanasia parties — are being publicized in the service of normalizing euthanasia as the best way to die. It’s the real “death with dignity,” don’t you know? The goal, I believe, is to push society toward the point that having oneself killed becomes the expectation, not the exception.

Is this kind of thing right or wrong? It depends on one’s values and moral beliefs. Some may see it as empowering, dying “his own way,” as the media continually put it.

Others, as I do, see darkness and nihilism in cheering on death, an (often unintentional) abandonment of people at their darkest hour. Indeed, this story reminds me of Canadian journalist Andrew Coyne’s cogent warningagainst the culture of death from many years ago:

A society that believes in nothing can offer no argument even against death. A culture that has lost its faith in life cannot comprehend why it should be endured.

Small government and I decided this fellow can do whatever he wants as long as it doesn't hurt his neighbor.

Are you trying to inflict your views on him or your fellow Americans with the full force of the U.S. military or something?

Small government and I decided this fellow can do whatever he wants as long as it doesn't hurt his neighbor.

Are you trying to inflict your views on him or your fellow Americans with the full force of the U.S. military or something?
When do YOU want to enforce that law?

I don't want any anti-euthanasia law to exist.

By your reply I'm guessing your pro-government power here? Why?

Edit-go with assisted suicide. I think that's the technical term. Are you against it?

I support euthanasia, provided that the individual is the one who initiated the final act. Whether it’s an injection, pill, etc... the soon to be deceased needs to be the one to carry out that final act.

I support euthanasia, provided that the individual is the one who initiated the final act. Whether it’s an injection, pill, etc... the soon to be deceased needs to be the one to carry out that final act.

Agreed. I can live with a waiting period also to make sure folks aren't just having a bad day or week or something. What do you think is fair, a weekly statement for a month or something like that?

Is dying what the man really wants? Whose views are really inflicted on him?

By law under obamacare law my doctor was required to have an end of life discussion with me. It basically turned into a harangue about my duty to agree to end my life when someone else deemed it not worth living. Had I been weaker or more easily influenced the discussion might have ended differently. The views forcibly imposed are the views imposing death. They might, very well might, send the military or at least the police to drag the victim out of bed kicking and screaming. The mercy of assisted suicide soon turns into forcible euthanasia. For your own good of course.

Netherlands doctor forcibly put elderly woman to death as family held her down

By law under obamacare law my doctor was required to have an end of life discussion with me. It basically turned into a harangue about my duty to agree to end my life when someone else deemed it not worth living. Had I been weaker or more easily influenced the discussion might have ended differently. The views forcibly imposed are the views imposing death. They might, very well might, send the military or at least the police to drag the victim out of bed kicking and screaming. The mercy of assisted suicide soon turns into forcible euthanasia. For your own good of course.

Obamacare told you that? Is Assisted Suicide legal in America?

Depends. It's Canada! So Hell yeah. Prop him up, call him Bernie and let's party all weekend long.

The goal, I believe, is to push society toward the point that having oneself killed becomes the expectation, not the exception.

When Hyperbole strikes.......

Legal, schmeegal.

You wanna go? Do it yourself. What are they gonna do?

I would not expect anyone to go through a painful, protracted death by some horrible disease to appease the morals of others.

The end of life interview was to persuade me to sign advance directives which is legal in every state. You should know this. You should also know that a provision of obamacare requires doctors to have an end of life discussion with patients for which they are to be paid.

Depends. It's Canada! So Hell yeah. Prop him up, call him Bernie and let's party all weekend long.

The goal, I believe, is to push society toward the point that having oneself killed becomes the expectation, not the exception.

When Hyperbole strikes.......
The party has to have enough people there to hold the soon to be dead person down for the kill shot.

The end of life interview was to persuade me to sign advance directives which is legal in every state. You should know this. You should also know that a provision of obamacare requires doctors to have an end of life discussion with patients for which they are to be paid.

Ah, the phrase "end of life discussion" threw me. You didn't have an advance directive. When I had my ACL repaired pre-Obamacare they had that conversation with me.

I told them my wife decided when I was dead and if she said they could have my organs it was all good but no doctor could decide. Two good kidneys, a liver, heart, lung, good eyes at the time, there was a lot of good money to be made selling my parts off lol.

Lol suicide itself is illegal in many states

Lol suicide itself is illegal in many states

That is what I thought. If anyone hasn't watched Sons of Anarchy stop reading now.

Now at the end of Sons of Anarchy what Jax did having to involving that truck driver, that was wrong. If my neighbor goes to a hospi/death camp and end it in an organized clean manner, more power to him.

I suspect the voices in her head told her that...

I don't want any anti-euthanasia law to exist.

By your reply I'm guessing your pro-government power here? Why?

Edit-go with assisted suicide. I think that's the technical term. Are you against it?
Would you please take video of YOUR party?... Thanks in advance....we can all clap when you off yourself...we ppromise!

Forum List

Back