At Divided Climate Talks, Consensus That U.S. Is at Fault

Fair enough.

I'm not a greenie nutter. I know what it means to condemn an economy. I saw my father laid off from a job in a shipyard because our government and the company he worked for were incompetent (didn't scan far enough to see Japan's shipbuilding industry taking over). I'm not advocating shutting anything down and tossing workers on the scrapheap. I'm simply saying we need to sit down and think about what we can do now and in the future and to plan to try to reduce harmful effects on our environment. If we start thinking about it now we can avoid shutting down industries and tossing people out of work.

Do some research, PLEASE. The US is leading the world in emission controls and in finding new and better ways to further control said emissions. Check out Kyoto. The US even though it never signed is the closest of all the nations under the treaty to meeting the goals of said treaty, meanwhile the signatories are not meeting the goals and NOT paying the price for failure, in other words IGNORING the treaty they agreed to.

I'm glad. That means we can start to move forward to work out how we can gain the benefits of industrialisation and technology without stuffing up our environment. Call me pragmatic ( that's a joke :badgrin: ) but that's all I'm asking for. Straight up, those of us reading and posting won't be affected by climate change, we'll be dead, but if we care about those who succeed us we'll try and do something about it now. No blame, blame is crap, I'd prefer solutions.

I'm glad. That means we can start to move forward to work out how we can gain the benefits of industrialisation and technology without stuffing up our environment. Call me pragmatic ( that's a joke :badgrin: ) but that's all I'm asking for. Straight up, those of us reading and posting won't be affected by climate change, we'll be dead, but if we care about those who succeed us we'll try and do something about it now. No blame, blame is crap, I'd prefer solutions.

Except the nutters control the process, aided and abetted by the faithful zealots like Larkinn et al. And blame is what the Conference is ALL about, or did you miss the part where Gore blamed the US, where the EU BLAMED the US and threatened us? Have you missed all the BLAME for us not signing a treaty called Kyoto that does nothing and is in fact ignored by those who DID sign it?

I have to say I don't much like blame. I'm okay with pointing out reality though. And I'm okay with asking people (analogous with nations) to change their behaviour when the results of their deleterious behaviour is point out to them. I find that works. And it works particularly well when the beneficial effects of revised actions is pointed out to people (and one would think, nations).

No blame, just a "this is what it's like" and "this is how we could improve things, waddya think?" are more useful in my opinion.

Forum List

Back