Astronomers say we could be just 10 years away from finding alien life

I think the majority of us would like to find out that we are not alone before we die.
Finding "life" and finding a civilization equal to our own are two widely different things. Additionally, if a star is only 40 light years away, it's probably about the same age as our own solar system which means, given our system is "average", wouldn't have anyone capable of interstellar travel. Heck, it'd take 80 years just to send a message out at the speed of light and see it returned.

Agree I think the op meant life
Yes. IIRC, our planet didn't originally have oxygen. Oxygen was by-product of evolving life. Could this be a means to detect life? I don't know.

Learned something new today, I should have studied more, so oxygen is a byproduct of evolution?

Going to Google it
There are organisms at the bottom of the ocean around volcano vents that don't need oxygen. It's thought they are among the oldest, most primitive forms of life.

How did life begin on Earth? - Quora

Were the very initial forms of life, the common ancestors of both aerobic and anaerobic organisms, aerobic or anaerobic themselves? - Quora

Why do we not have higher anaerobic life forms on earth? - Quora

As great as this would be, there's also a chance of other life within our own solar system.

Enceladus, Europa, Titan. They would be our first chance, obviously, of being able to examine it first hand before too long.

I believe Humanity first job is to explore Mars and discover the red planet or maybe even rediscover it...

I am going to sound crazier than usual ( I know how the hell can that happen! ) but I do not believe Humanity is from this planet...

As great as this would be, there's also a chance of other life within our own solar system.

Enceladus, Europa, Titan. They would be our first chance, obviously, of being able to examine it first hand before too long.

I believe Humanity first job is to explore Mars and discover the red planet or maybe even rediscover it...

I am going to sound crazier than usual ( I know how the hell can that happen! ) but I do not believe Humanity is from this planet...
Yeah, Mars is the planet from which many in the field think we originated. As I recall (from the TV shows I've seen on it), material could have been kicked off Mars from asteroids and made its way to us.

I'm just hoping for some big news in the next decade or two. Our kids are living at a pretty cool time.

Yeah, Mars is the planet from which many in the field think we originated. As I recall (from the TV shows I've seen on it), material could have been kicked off Mars from asteroids and made its way to us.

I'm just hoping for some big news in the next decade or two. Our kids are living at a pretty cool time.

I believe the last 100 to 150 years of humanity have been great and the best is yet to come. The thing is if intelligent life does live out there and they are watching us then it bring me to question if Gene Roddenberry was a genius before his time.

Also Space is the final frontier for man and it is time to gear up and explore the solar system and beyond.

I wish I was young for that!

I think the majority of us would like to find out that we are not alone before we die.
Finding "life" and finding a civilization equal to our own are two widely different things. Additionally, if a star is only 40 light years away, it's probably about the same age as our own solar system which means, given our system is "average", wouldn't have anyone capable of interstellar travel. Heck, it'd take 80 years just to send a message out at the speed of light and see it returned.

Agree I think the op meant life
Yes. IIRC, our planet didn't originally have oxygen. Oxygen was by-product of evolving life. Could this be a means to detect life? I don't know.

Learned something new today, I should have studied more, so oxygen is a byproduct of evolution?

Going to Google it
There are organisms at the bottom of the ocean around volcano vents that don't need oxygen. It's thought they are among the oldest, most primitive forms of life.

How did life begin on Earth? - Quora

Were the very initial forms of life, the common ancestors of both aerobic and anaerobic organisms, aerobic or anaerobic themselves? - Quora

Why do we not have higher anaerobic life forms on earth? - Quora

Yes I am aware of that, but from your last link it answers my questions

Anaerobics will be killed in oxygen atmosphere so they didn't evolve

We are getting so close..

Astronomers say we could be just 10 years away from finding alien life

On May 2, an international team of astronomers announced that they had discovered three Earth-sized exoplanets, all orbiting the same star (TRAPPIST-1) just 40 light-years from us.

The scientists determined that all three planets are potentially habitable based on their size and temperature.

Now, the same team has discovered that the two innermost planets are rocky and have compact atmospheres, making them less like the hostile planet of Jupiter and more like the rocky planets of Earth, Venus, and Mars. This makes the prospect of life lurking in these faraway worlds even stronger. The researchers published their results today in Nature.

The findings were made just two days after the team announced that it had found the planetary system.

A promising place to detect alien life
Systems like this are promising places to detect alien life, Michaël Gillon, lead author of the paper presenting the discovery, said in an ESO press release .

The host star is an ultracool dwarf star — a type of cool, red star. Most of the time these stars are too small and faint to be detected by optical telescopes, and this star is no exception.

"Why are we trying to detect Earth-like planets around the smallest and coolest stars in the solar neighborhood? The reason is simple: systems around these tiny stars are the only places where we can detect life on an Earth-sized exoplanet with our current technology,” Gillon said.

Because of their closeness to the star, the two innermost planets are likely tidally locked, with one side always facing the star and the other always facing away.

Although the sides facing the star would be too hot to host any lifeforms and the sides facing away would be too cold and dark, the planets might contain "sweet spots." If the planets have atmospheres or even possibly oceans, heat from the star might be more evenly distributed, creating regions that just might be suitable for life.
I told someone else I believe every star eventually produces life. Every star has planets and moons surrounding them. Maybe not now, maybe not 3 billion years ago and maybe 3 billion years from now a planet will fall in their sun's sweet spot and life on that planet will exist until the conditions are no longer right just like earth.

There might be life in our solar system. Europa for one. And Mars may have once had life. We just don't know

I believe the last 100 to 150 years of humanity have been great and the best is yet to come. The thing is if intelligent life does live out there and they are watching us then it bring me to question if Gene Roddenberry was a genius before his time.

Also Space is the final frontier for man and it is time to gear up and explore the solar system and beyond.

Would you like to spend ten years on a ship? Not me

it is a big place

the yellow dot is how far radio has traveled the last hundred years

article-0-11EF84AB000005DC-183_964x959.jpg

I wish we would research the Alpha Centauri system more often and more closely. There's an Earth-like planet orbiting Proxima B, and it's "only" 4.24 light years away.

New Planet Found Orbiting Proxima Centauri

Wanna talk about alien life? There's evidence to suggest our Oort Cloud actually intersects and collides with Alpha Centauri's Oort Cloud.

This is a Yuge deal, as it could easily be proof that our two systems share the same organic materials, and possibly even some of the same genetics (this also explains Halley-type comets)!

Would you like to spend ten years on a ship? Not me
It depends on the ship, the ratio of men to women (1:10 works for me. ;) ) and the size of the ship. At a certain point, it'd be worth living a lifetime aboard.

cyllinder.gif

encontro-com-rama-arte-colonia-espacial-cilindrica-2.jpg

ramaview.jpg

The Mars theory is interesting, but it begs the question where life on Mars originated.

In that case, the Oort Cloud has been suggested as the source of amino acids. Amino Acid Found in Stardust Comet Sample - Universe Today

That said, Mars isn't that much older than the Earth. Even if it was 500 million years ahead of us, that's still a relatively short time on planetary timescales.

it is a big place

the yellow dot is how far radio has traveled the last hundred years

article-0-11EF84AB000005DC-183_964x959.jpg
Excellent point. Also note that the location fairly represents our own within our galaxy. We're among the relatively newer stars on the outer arm.

milkyway_arms.jpg
When I was a kid I didn't have a problem with or understand just how far away other stars are. I realized that when I woke up to lost in space. This guy from another planet seemed to know about earthlings.

Ding come on in

Ding come on in
Why? Does ding have another theory?

Amazing people will believe in alien life but not God who says he is always with you.

Do you see Him(?)? Can you describe Her(?)? Would God use the men's or the women's restroom, assuming of course we are built in his/her image?
Do you think(?) and if you do/can, um. believe, has S/He forsaken our species and broke the mold after seeing our lack of humanity? Is that why S/He has not visited us (again) and replaced our deserts with Eden like weather and vegetation, our Oceans with fresh, clean water and allowed dogs 3-score and ten years of life?

Amazing people will believe in alien life but not God who says he is always with you.

What are you afraid of?

Don't bother I already know.
Afraid of losing more of my money to scammers.
Planets are detected by gravitational methods, there is no optics that will ever be able to determine if a planet has life. Ever.
So what are you afraid of about God?

There are radio waves which can and do reach us. I suspect an alien form of life has listened to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Sarah Palin, and determined their is no intelligent live on Earth.

Do you see Him(?)? Can you describe Her(?)? Would God use the men's or the women's restroom, assuming of course we are built in his/her image?
Do you think(?) and if you do/can, um. believe, has S/He forsaken our species and broke the mold after seeing our lack of humanity? Is that why S/He has not visited us (again) and replaced our deserts with Eden like weather and vegetation, our Oceans with fresh, clean water and allowed dogs 3-score and ten years of life?
So you can't believe in God because everything is not perfect? Where exactly did you get this idea?

What are you afraid of?

Don't bother I already know.
Afraid of losing more of my money to scammers.
Planets are detected by gravitational methods, there is no optics that will ever be able to determine if a planet has life. Ever.
So what are you afraid of about God?

There are radio waves which can and do reach us. I suspect an alien form of life has listened to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Sarah Palin, and determined their is no intelligent live on Earth.
I think they would determine that you are overly emotional. Lay off the soy products.

Forum List

Back