Associated Press: Nobel Jury Defends Obama Decision

They're arguing Obama has eased the tensions between the West and the Islamic world and that he scaled down the creation of a missile shield in Europe.

What are y'alls thoughts on that rationale?

AP Newsbreak: Nobel jury defends Obama decision - Yahoo! News

OSLO – Members of the Norwegian committee that gave Barack Obama the Nobel Peace Prize are strongly defending their choice against a storm of criticism that the award was premature and a potential liability for the U.S. president.

Asked to comment on the uproar following Friday's announcement, four members of the five-seat panel told The Associated Press that they had expected the decision to generate both surprise and criticism.

Three of them rejected the notion that Obama hadn't accomplished anything to deserve the award, while the fourth declined to answer that question. A fifth member didn't answer calls seeking comment.

"We simply disagree that he has done nothing," committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland told the AP on Tuesday. "He got the prize for what he has done."

Jagland singled out Obama's efforts to heal the divide between the West and the Muslim world and scale down a Bush-era proposal for an anti-missile shield in Europe.

"All these things have contributed to — I wouldn't say a safer world — but a world with less tension," Jagland said by phone from the French city of Strasbourg, where he was attending meetings in his other role as secretary-general of the Council of Europe.

He said most world leaders were positive about the award and that most of the criticism was coming from the media and from Obama's political rivals.

They have no defense against the decision other then it was an anti Bush vote. They can't defend a
decision that was based on the fact that his name HAD to be on the Ballot just 12 days in office.He was on
the ballot based on what????? He was in office 12 days....Can't someone in the media figure this out?.
They had no idea 12 days in office what he was going to do. a year later.He should NOT have been on the ballot to begin with.

The Noble Committee Official Statement of the Practical Joke known as the Obama Noble Peace Prize:

"Obama's a pussy, just like us. We like that about him. Oh, also, he's not George Bush. Bush wasn't a pussy and we had a problem with him what with us being pussies and all..."

Hell, it's their award. They can give it to whoever they want - no matter how funny it is!

They're arguing Obama has eased the tensions between the West and the Islamic world and that he scaled down the creation of a missile shield in Europe.

What are y'alls thoughts on that rationale?

AP Newsbreak: Nobel jury defends Obama decision - Yahoo! News

OSLO – Members of the Norwegian committee that gave Barack Obama the Nobel Peace Prize are strongly defending their choice against a storm of criticism that the award was premature and a potential liability for the U.S. president.

Asked to comment on the uproar following Friday's announcement, four members of the five-seat panel told The Associated Press that they had expected the decision to generate both surprise and criticism.

Three of them rejected the notion that Obama hadn't accomplished anything to deserve the award, while the fourth declined to answer that question. A fifth member didn't answer calls seeking comment.

"We simply disagree that he has done nothing," committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland told the AP on Tuesday. "He got the prize for what he has done."

Jagland singled out Obama's efforts to heal the divide between the West and the Muslim world and scale down a Bush-era proposal for an anti-missile shield in Europe.

"All these things have contributed to — I wouldn't say a safer world — but a world with less tension," Jagland said by phone from the French city of Strasbourg, where he was attending meetings in his other role as secretary-general of the Council of Europe.

He said most world leaders were positive about the award and that most of the criticism was coming from the media and from Obama's political rivals.

I expected nothing less from morons who are a joke to begin with than defend their idiotic decision.

The Nobel Peace prize was discredited long ago. Few regard it with seriousness any more. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. After all, Obama may well have received this worthless award, but the fact remains, you cannot polish a turd!

My thoughts are this.

Nuts.

Glad you asked however.

So if they just hold their ground?

What else are they gonna do? Change their minds?

He got an award he hadn't earned and did not deserve. Nothing new there - he got a job he hadn't earned and didn't deserve either. Times have changed. It used to be that you strive for something and achieve it. These days, you whine and get it handed to you.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
My thoughts are this.

Nuts.

Glad you asked however.

He got an award he hadn't earned and did not deserve. Nothing new there - he got a job he hadn't earned and didn't deserve either. Times have changed. It used to be that you strive for something and achieve it. These days, you whine and get it handed to you.

I agree that Obama didn't deserve this award but it seemed like he was just as surprised that he won it as the rest of us were. I don't recall him whining about it to get it, either.

And he earned and deserves the job he has right now. You don't just fall out of bed and into the Oval Office.

That doesn't seem like a "strong defense" at all. That sounds like defensive blubbering at people calling shenanigans.

I will say I'm glad they said this. A lot of people seem to take the position that since the Nobel Prize is awarded by those people over there, that must mean we're in good standing with the global community. This had nothing to do with even a third of the world. This was decided by five old Norwegians nobody's ever heard of. Kind of puts a damper on the award itself and those who have deserved it, but still.

For there to be a response defending the decision tells me that it was more than just the reaction of Americans that prompted this. Sounds like a lot of other countries, probably Europeans, reacted negatively.

Interesting.

I agree that Obama didn't deserve this award but it seemed like he was just as surprised that he won it as the rest of us were. I don't recall him whining about it to get it, either.

And he earned and deserves the job he has right now. You don't just fall out of bed and into the Oval Office.

I'm sure he didn't expect it. Even Obama isn't dumb enough to think he'd actually earned it. But - He's been whining since his 20s.

And I have his voting record as a Senator. What a joke. Sorry, to disagree while he is 'qualified', he was by no means experienced enough to do the job. And we are paying the price for that.

I'm sure he didn't expect it. Even Obama isn't dumb enough to think he'd actually earned it. But - He's been whining since his 20s.

And I have his voting record as a Senator. What a joke. Sorry, to disagree while he is 'qualified', he was by no means experienced enough to do the job. And we are paying the price for that.

He's green, that's for sure.

What he needs is a spine.

He's green, that's for sure.

What he needs is a spine.

In that we will agree. To me, POTUS is not a trainee position.

I don't think there's much of anything Obama has today that he earned. He was awarded it because of his political beliefs. All he had to do was read speeches. The trick was keeping him from blowing it.

I remember when Rev. Wright was exposed...and Obama had resigned himself to failure. He started talking about his typiclly white grandmother and the simple fact that he felt he would never get a fair shake like some of the other more conventional (white) candidates. So they sent him to the Bahamas for three weeks and the media patched up Obama's mess.....and he won the nomination and eventually the Presidency because he has this huge organization behind him.

Obama is the face of this massive takeover of government and he's the just going along for the ride. I don't think he deserves much of what he's been given. Their biggest task is to stop him allowing himself to believe all of the bogus stuff people say about him thus keep him in check, in other words keep him from believing all of the lies they're telling about him.....from both sides.....for and against him.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back