Assisted Suicide

liberalogic

Jan 15, 2006
NJ
Should people who are terminally ill have the right to have a doctor medically assist them in killing themselves? And I mean people that are of sound mind to make this judgement, not have people decide for them like Terri Schiavo.

I absolutely think this should be the case...it's your life, your right.

gop_jeff said:
Why not just die naturally? I mean, all human beings are terminal - we will all pass away sometime, of something.

Why is it that only early termination of someone's suffering with medical technology is considered interfering with nature? Why isn't the unnatural extension of life equally frowned upon?

MissileMan said:
Why is it that only early termination of someone's suffering with medical technology is considered interfering with nature? Why isn't the unnatural extension of life equally frowned upon?
It’s that “I Believe” only he can give and take life, shit.
I wonder how some here would feel if they or a loved one were rotting away on a bed in pain and agony, just waiting.

Mr. P said:
It’s that “I Believe” only He can give and take life, shit.
I wonder how some here would feel if they or a loved one were rotting away on a bed in pain and agony, just waiting.
Exactly!

Mr. P loves the "Thumpers," you can tell! :tng:

MissileMan said:

It's not. Some people are opposed to any medical intervention. I think that generally people are interesting in prolonging life in hopes that any condition might improve.Sure it's unrealistic and we will all die.

dmp said:
Who says we have a 'right' to kill ourselves? Nowhere in the constitution is listed the 'right' to die.

(shrug).

who says we don't have the right to kill ourselves nowhere in the constitution does it say i can't do it

Mr. P said:
It’s that “I Believe” only he can give and take life, shit.

having watch several family members die of cancer .... my wife and i have pulled the plug on those that wanted the plug pulled because their will said to and we have watched people suffer for years till the finally died because their will said let them ....

mine is all written down .... it is my body i will do with it as i see fit ....

dmp said:
Who says we have a 'right' to kill ourselves? Nowhere in the constitution is listed the 'right' to die.

(shrug).

Et Exclusio Alterias AKA the 9th amendment.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

dmp said:
I suspect Technically, Suicide is Homicide...One murders themselves?

Well then technically, smoking, drinking, and all of the other abuses we do to our bodies is murder as well as they bring about a premature death. (in most cases)

dmp said:
I suspect Technically, Suicide is Homicide...One murders themselves?

maybe you should ask jeph? :poke:

if you give up the will to live like olde people do after their spouse dies and "will" your sellf to die, is that suicide / homocide?

manu1959 said:
having watch several family members die of cancer .... my wife and i have pulled the plug on those that wanted the plug pulled because their will said to and we have watched people suffer for years till the finally died because their will said let them ....

As it should be.

MissileMan said:
Well then technically, smoking, drinking, and all of the other abuses we do to our bodies is murder as well as they bring about a premature death. (in most cases)

you are correct.....well....if the spin the left or well the right puts on those habbits is correct.....i guess you could say eating eggs or fast food falls in there as well.....

eat mcdonalds go to hell

manu1959 said:

I assume that if you lived in Texas and for some reason you didnt have the bucks for people to carry out your wishes, the state would step in and make the decision for you.

There's a big difference between pulling a life support plug (and food is not life support) and poisoning somebody. Failing to ressucitate a person who has expressed a wish not to isn't anything new. Sometimes the person just gives up the fight. However, intentionally killing one's self, whether you use a gun or a pill with a fancy name, is suicide, and that's wrong. Maybe we don't have to artificially prolong somebody's life, but we should never artificially end it. Once we allow the terminally ill to commit suicide, I guarantee it'll escalate (post birth 'abortions,' no questions asked medical suicide, suicide for the mentally ill or deeply indebted, etc.).

dilloduck said:
I assume that if you lived in Texas and for some reason you didnt have the bucks for people to carry out your wishes, the state would step in and make the decision for you.

i have the solution for running out of money written down as well.

all the variations end with a viking funeral.

Forum List

Back