assholes!

o skull lighten up....there is a whole web site for wait staff to vent...why cant peons who have to put up with assholes like you vent...i am glad to have my job....does that mean i have to put up with people lying to me..acting like i am stupid to get by with a few dollars....there are some things i cannot change...the power is simply not given to me...now i can either call upstairs and tell them you are headed up and try to help or you are a total jerk and i could care less....we little peons abuse what little power we are given...i dont know why this is this why or why it is not logical but guess what i dont make those decisions so why should i listen to you run your mouth...btw....you cannot support yourself and a child on the hourly rate of most cashiers, retail clerks etc...i would love to know your job history and what kind of job you hold now?

I agree that this is a place vent. I've had jobs where I had certain gripes -- didn't mean that I wanted to quit. There are going to be some days when people are going to get to you.

If you don't want to read it, don't look at this thread. It's like TV, if you don't like the show, change the channel.

BTW, Skull Pilot, I read your post and it was a bit harsh. If people have problems in their lives, is this your normal reaction to them? You sounded as heartless as your avatar.

And paste a foolish grin on your face. People have a hard time acting shitty to someone who is smiling at them.

It will give you wrinkles, though, and possibly take years off your life.

My nephew worked at a Safeway before he left for Wheaton, and one of the policies of the store is EVERY employee was required to smile at, greet, and offer assistance to EVERY customer they pass in the parking lot or in the store. I mean, there were up to 100 people milling around at any time. It was like eating glass for him, lol. I used to go to Safeway just to laugh at him because he'd have this glazed look in his eyes and this death's mask grin and grit out in a ridiculously animated voice, "HOW ARE YOU TODAY, CAN I HELP YOU?" Of course those of us in the know knew his boss had told him he'd be fired if he didn't. And he's by nature a pretty introverted young man..and even worse in those days.

It was great. Family fun was for my teenaged boys and myself to troop to Safeways to see how many times we could force James to smile at us and offer assistance.

You sound like lovely people.

I was a level 2 CSR at my last job and dealt with a lot of angry, unreasonable people. I would just do my best to resolve their issue and never let them get me down. I actually think it's kinda funny when people get so worked up that they cuss at the person that is the gatekeeper to their satisfaction. I could almost always get them calmed down and to accept the situation. Most of the girls I worked with hated the job, but I kinda liked it. I made good money for someone who's only skill is having a sunny personality and when I really could help someone out i made me smile. :)

gatekeeper to their satisfaction

Those are powers that should only be in the domain of god.

o skull lighten up....there is a whole web site for wait staff to vent...why cant peons who have to put up with assholes like you vent...i am glad to have my job....does that mean i have to put up with people lying to me..acting like i am stupid to get by with a few dollars....there are some things i cannot change...the power is simply not given to me...now i can either call upstairs and tell them you are headed up and try to help or you are a total jerk and i could care less....we little peons abuse what little power we are given...i dont know why this is this why or why it is not logical but guess what i dont make those decisions so why should i listen to you run your mouth...btw....you cannot support yourself and a child on the hourly rate of most cashiers, retail clerks etc...i would love to know your job history and what kind of job you hold now?

Er..I mean both periods of time when I did it. Not like "both days" I did it, lol.

Part time, off and on, for about 3 years....then full time for a miserable 11 months or so.
By the way I am not resentful I have to work, I am just pissed that I didn't finish college when I was younger instead of screwing around and that I am not doing something I really want to do now.

Dealing with rude customers must be just about one of the most unenviable tasks going. But how about the way this Virgin Airlines gate attendant dealt with such a situation. True story btw:

An award should go to the Virgin Airlines gate attendant in Sydney for being customer focused, when confronted with a rude and arrogant passenger. A crowded Virgin flight was cancelled after Virgin's 767s had been withdrawn from service.
A single attendant was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travellers. Suddenly an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk.
He slapped his ticket down on the counter and said, "I have to be on This flight and it has to be NOW!"
The attendant replied, "I'm sorry sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these people first, and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."
The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?"
Without hesitating, the attendant smiled and grabbed her public Address microphone: "May I have your attention please, may I have your attention please," she began - her voice heard clearly throughout the terminal.
"We have a passenger here at Gate 14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him find his identity, please come to Gate 14".
With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at the Virgin attendant, gritted his teeth and said, "F...k You!"
Without flinching, she smiled and said, "I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to get in line for that too."

I know someone who worked in NY at a major airline and one day Frank Gifford approached the counter and without looking up, the woman asked for his ID (as they are required to do). Gifford was incensed and said "Don't you know who I am?". She looked up and said "Oh, you're Kathy Lee's husband!". That pissed him off even more. Good!

Last edited:
Er..I mean both periods of time when I did it. Not like "both days" I did it, lol.

Part time, off and on, for about 3 years....then full time for a miserable 11 months or so.
By the way I am not resentful I have to work, I am just pissed that I didn't finish college when I was younger instead of screwing around and that I am not doing something I really want to do now.

You're taking responsibility for yourself NOW, and that's what counts. Don't waste a second of your life wishing you did something differently.

You're taking responsibility for yourself NOW, and that's what counts. Don't waste a second of your life wishing you did something differently.
You are right, I just hate the fact I have at least two more years depending on what I do.

Two years is a flash in the pan. I could do almost anything for two years if I had to.

Though I sure as crap couldn't handle the newsroom fulltime for two years...but then, I didn't have to. My child care was more than my income. Good bye sinking newspaper!

Two years is a flash in the pan. I could do almost anything for two years if I had to.

Though I sure as crap couldn't handle the newsroom fulltime for two years...but then, I didn't have to. My child care was more than my income. Good bye sinking newspaper!
I probably won't stay where I am at, maybe another year there if that and then I will try to get a job back in health care since that might be the route I am going. The next couple of months I am going to decide.

Forum List

Back