Assault Weapon Ban Poll.

Do you agree with banning assault rifles?

• Total voters
I support keeping fully automatic weapons out of the hands of civilians.
Unsurprising. You also support a totalitarian style of government.

Common sense, of course decries that purchasers of any firearm be subject to some sort of screening process, using a national data base would be best.
Like I said; unsurprising.

People really should KNOW the law before demanding new laws.

Fully automatic weapons are outlawed only in about 17 States. In the remaining States one can own a fully automatic weapon if they submit a request to the Federal Government, pass a background check, pay a huge fee for a license, find a dealer with a license to sell fully automatic weapons, keep the Federal Government and local authorities aware where you store and maintain said weapon. If you travel you must inform the Government if you intend to transport the weapon, I do not mean to a local range to fire. YOU must know what States it is legal in and not enter a State it is illegal in with said weapon.

Each INDIVIDUAL weapon or sear for converting a weapon must be licensed in YOUR name if you possess it. If you install a sear into a semi automatic to make it fully auto capable you must provide all the weapon data to the Government.

Been this way since around 1934.

Unsurprising. You also support a totalitarian style of government.

Like I said; unsurprising.

Supporting the democratic nominee for president does not equate to support of a totalitarian style of government.

Show by a link, one single post of mine where I support a totalitarian style of government and I will kiss your ass at half time on the 50 yard line of any game you buy the tickets for, or withdraw the post and apologize.

We'll let the USMB community decide by poll if you find a post you want to try...

-Joe

Last edited:
Since the assault weapon ban was was lifted in 2004, the number of deaths in the U.S., and that's all deaths, not just murders and crime related deaths, in four years is...163.

The number of Americans killed by by lightning strikes in the same four year period...360.

Airplane crashes...480.

Car accidents...164,236.

Average traffic related deaths per day? 134 per day.

But, according to President-Elect Obama, semi-automatic rifles are the scurge of the country and must be banned.

Good judgement or blind ideology?

Let's recap, an American is more than twice as likely to, not just be struck by lightning, but to be killed by a lightning strike than to be killed by an "assault rifle".

And 5 less Americans (158) are killed in traffic accidents on election day (one day) than were killed in four years by "assault rifles".

Any comments?

.​

Great comparison. Clearly the scourges of the country are cars, planes and lightening strikes, and Obama should be working to ban these before even looking at assault weapons.

The fualty presumption here is that assault rifle ownership is about hunting, and not about defending yourself against criminals with assault rifles.

Should you give criminals with assault rifles a fighting chance?

Why? Exactly what information will be revealed by a background check?

A lie.

Yes; for children, where education, and thoughtfully responsible exposure are the keys for reducing racism, unsafe sex and drug abuse; fear, hatred, and ignorance are the keys to preventing gun related accidents and tragedies.

How about a national database to keep guns out of the hands of people who have spent time in a mental institution for starters? Can you think of others who should not have firearms? I think you can!

-Joe

How about a national database to keep guns out of the hands of people who have spent time in a mental institution for starters? Can you think of others who should not have firearms? I think you can!

-Joe

The law does not prevent people who have volunteered to enter mental institutes from owning weapons. Never has. The requirement is that a Competent authority ( A Judge) have declared you incompetent. You are aware , I hope, that alcohol rehab is usually in a mental institution? Last I checked one does not lose the right to own a weapon cause they drink to much. Unless convicted of a Felony.

You guys REALLY need to learn the law.

-Joe

Why should someone be denied a firearm just because they "spent time" in a mental institution?

Not everyone who has "spent time" in one is a whacko.

Great comparison. Clearly the scourges of the country are cars, planes and lightening strikes, and Obama should be working to ban these before even looking at assault weapons.

I thought they were pretty good comparisons. At least the lightning and the plane crash related deaths. It illustrates how rare an "assault weapon" related death is in the U.S.

The auto accidents I added because it is staggering. As many Americans killed in one day as killed by "assault weapons" in four years? That's a tragedy.

Not to hyjack my own thread, but 41,000 Americans were killed in car accidents last year. That is nearly 1.4% of the population of the United States.

But no one is crying out for more traffic police. No one wants radar cameras. Why?

I thought they were pretty good comparisons. At least the lightning and the plane crash related deaths. It illustrates how rare an "assault weapon" related death is in the U.S.

The auto accidents I added because it is staggering. As many Americans killed in one day as killed by "assault weapons" in four years? That's a tragedy.

Not to hyjack my own thread, but 41,000 Americans were killed in car accidents last year. That is nearly 1.4% of the population of the United States.

But no one is crying out for more traffic police. No one wants radar cameras. Why?

I'm guessing because Americans truly accept them as accidents and part of living in America and we would NEVER be willing to give up the freedom private transportation allows us. These deaths don't bother us because they aren't catergorized as "needless".

I'm guessing because Americans truly accept them as accidents and part of living in America and we would NEVER be willing to give up the freedom private transportation allows us. These deaths don't bother us because they aren't catergorized as "needless".

For what reason is completely beyond me. Looks take two hypothetical 'needless' scenarios. What if that moron Plaxico Buress had killed himself by severing and artery when he shot himself in the leg? That's needless right? Well what if HE killed himself by crashing his SUV? Is that any less needless?

guess I'm the only yes.

I see no reason for assualt rifles. If you're a hunter, then hunt like a real man with a one shot shotgun. Give the animal a fighting chance.

I'm in favor of gun control obviously :)

Hitler, Stalin , Lenin,Castro, these totalitarian dictators also saw no reasons
for weapons , and assault rifles,they banned them , and then unleased terror
and mass murder on the unarmed population.

For what reason is completely beyond me. Looks take two hypothetical 'needless' scenarios. What if that moron Plaxico Buress had killed himself by severing and artery when he shot himself in the leg? That's needless right? Well what if HE killed himself by crashing his SUV? Is that any less needless?

Personally, I view such accidental deaths as NEEDFUL. We need to cull the herd, or at least, allow them to cull themselves.

Supporting the democratic nominee for president does not equate to support of a totalitarian style of government.
Not relevent. But any post where you express how the government should decide how much of one's earned money they should be allowed to keep equates to such; any post of yours that expresses how the government should determine who should pay for healthcare, and what healthcare one is entitled to equates to such; any post of yours that expresses how the government should make the descision where one gets their education, and what the content of that education must be equates to such; any post of yours that expresses how the government should determine the wages or other compensation a person recieves for work done equates to such; and any post of yours that demands that the government is empowered to infringe upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms equates to such.

Show by a link, one single post of mine where I support a totalitarian style of government and I will kiss your ass at half time on the 50 yard line of any game you buy the tickets for, or withdraw the post and apologize.
Just one single post? I will not withdraw the post and apologize, just because I refuse to buy you a ticket to some sporting event--but if you really insist that you have never posted support for totalitarian government, I will gladly post your linked quote, but refuse you the reward of kissing my ass. I'd rather you just eat a bag of shit. Just ask me again, and have that bag of shit ready.

Yes, I can think of many more; the belligerently authoritarian, unsupervised children, the criminally violent; but I can't think of a way that a national database can manage to keep guns out of the hands of people who have spent time in a mental institution, the belligerently authoritarian, unsupervised children, or the criminally violent.

New York, and New Jersey Gun laws are unconstitutional. The constitution says we all have the right to keep and bear Arms! Plaxico Burress had every right to have a Gun.
So what, he had an accident.Its Homo assholes,law makers that would prefer to legalize HOMO marriage, than for law obeying citizens to have the right to carry hand guns for self protection.

New York, and New Jersey Gun laws are unconstitutional. The constitution says we all have the right to keep and bear Arms! Plaxico Burress had every right to have a Gun.
So what, he had an accident.Its Homo assholes,law makers that would prefer to legalize HOMO marriage, than for law obeying citizens to have the right to carry hand guns for self protection.

not if it's not registered, he doesn't... not if he let his license expire, he doesn't....

but good to know that you put guns above people....

so typical. G-d...guns...and gays...

once again, proof of why your party is where it is.

not if it's not registered, he doesn't... not if he let his license expire, he doesn't....

but good to know that you put guns above people....

so typical. G-d...guns...and gays...

once again, proof of why your party is where it is.

Registration of
Guns, leads to Gun confiscation.We all must have the right to bear arms.With out
any catches.

I hate bad math, 1 percent of the US population would be 3 MILLION. Auto accidents do though account for more deaths then firearms.

Forum List

Back