CDZ Assault Rifles, How We Got Here

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
There is a lot of discussion about the AR-15 and assault rifles. Some of it is right, some wrong, and some depends upon where you go for the definition of "assault rifle." But none of it really explains the history of the weapon and how we got to this point in time. Perhaps the following will help.

The AR-15, and other assault rifle musings

Perhaps it would keep your mattress dry when you wake up more often if we killed each other with swords, pikes, daggers and arrows?

There is a lot of discussion about the AR-15 and assault rifles. Some of it is right, some wrong, and some depends upon where you go for the definition of "assault rifle." But none of it really explains the history of the weapon and how we got to this point in time. Perhaps the following will help.

You know, Wikipedia has better information on the AR 15 than this does. Why do I say that? Because the current civilian AR 15 was based on the M16, but only semi automatic, and when it first came out in 1964, it only had a 5 round magazine, not 30 to 100.

Colt AR-15 - Wikipedia

Colt started selling the semi-automatic version of the M16 rifle as the Colt AR-15 in 1964.[1][2][3] The first mass production version was the Colt AR-15 Sporter, in .223 Remington, with a 20-inch barrel and issued with 5-round magazines.[4] Over the decades, Colt has made many different types of AR-15 rifle and carbine models, including the AR-15, AR-15A2, AR-15A3, AR-15A4, and many other models.

The commercial AR-15 was never the model for ANY military combat rifle.. 14 boring paragraphs of combat rifle history don't change that. BATF REQUIRED that any part interchangeable with an M16 be designed and milled to PREVENT interchange.

And it DOES depend on how you MAKE UP a term like an "assault rifle". You still don't know I would guess after reading that piece. It's NOT useless for small game like keeping the herd of coyotes or bobcats away from your cattle/farm. Or for defending a homestead. Or "other legal uses".

It's also quite accurate and easy to carry..

The commercial AR-15 was never the model for ANY military combat rifle.. 14 boring paragraphs of combat rifle history don't change that. BATF REQUIRED that any part interchangeable with an M16 be designed and milled to PREVENT interchange.

And it DOES depend on how you MAKE UP a term like an "assault rifle". You still don't know I would guess after reading that piece. It's NOT useless for small game like keeping the herd of coyotes or bobcats away from your cattle/farm. Or for defending a homestead. Or "other legal uses".

Actually, the AR 15 was based on the design of the M16. See post 4.

It was the other way 'round. M16 was BORROWED from the AR-15. But whatever. It's not made with the same parts. And as I said, the BATF prevented interchange of key parts even tho the whole family is modular..

There's hardly ANYTHING that's difficult about a rifle design. And what it LOOKS like is nothing but custom chrome and adding racing stripes.

I used to own several of these. And they would make gun phobes poop their panties by "how they look"..

Anschutz21st%20CenturyAd.jpg

Or better yet ---- these awfully deadly looking ones..

5587791.jpg

It's a very expensive competitive AIR RIFLE.. But I assure you -- Dianne Feinstein wouldn't know that.

I hope the gun phobes focus on the AR.. It'll keep them from noticing the other 10 styles of scary looking rifles..

It was the other way 'round. M16 was BORROWED from the AR-15. But whatever. It's not made with the same parts. And as I said, the BATF prevented interchange of key parts even tho the whole family is modular..

There's hardly ANYTHING that's difficult about a rifle design. And what it LOOKS like is nothing but custom chrome and adding racing stripes.

I used to own several of these. And they would make gun phobes poop their panties by "how they look"..

5587791.jpg

It's a very expensive competitive AIR RIFLE.. But I assure you -- Dianne Feinstein wouldn't know that.

Hey, I would have zero problem with the AR 15 when it first came out, because it only had a 5 round magazine. Yes, something like that I can see as possible for hunting if it had better stopping power for big game.

But, the 30 round magazines and 100 round drums are a bit excessive. The only reason you would need firepower like that is if you are in a gun battle.

Interestingly enough, there are lots of people out there who don't understand that repeated fire will cause a gun to get hot and misfire, but unfortunately, that only happens at around 50 to 70 rounds.

5587791.jpg

Hey, I would have zero problem with the AR 15 when it first came out, because it only had a 5 round magazine. Yes, something like that I can see as possible for hunting if it had better stopping power for big game.

But, the 30 round magazines and 100 round drums are a bit excessive. The only reason you would need firepower like that is if you are in a gun battle.

Interestingly enough, there are lots of people out there who don't understand that repeated fire will cause a gun to get hot and misfire, but unfortunately, that only happens at around 50 to 70 rounds.

When your backing off bear or coyote on your property, a 5 round mag is not enough. Fumbling for magazines in the dark with gloves on when something could kill you or your dog is not fun. And you don't have time to load before you leave the house.

Also good for training and practice. But I wouldn't miss 30 or 100 round mags.

People do hunt deer with high velocity .223 rounds. If you're humane and disciplined -- it's not a problem. When folks say "small bore" is useless for hunting --- what they are REALLY saying is "I'm a Klutz and I NEED bigger bullets".. That's a crap excuse. Ask the archers who take down deer.

I'm NOT a hunter. But I was a markmanship coach for several Jr Rifle teams and a Range Safety volunteer. So I've heard it all and seen it all..

Assault Rifles, How We Got Here
What's an "assault rifle," in your mind?

I don't care what your definition is; I want to know what it is so I can use it to understand fully what you may write in response to the core questions I've below asked. Thus the definition need only accurately, completely and precisely describe whatever it be that you mean by "assault rifle."

Assault Rifles, How We Got Here
While I think learning the story of "how we got here" is interesting as an academic pursuit, unless it informs the design, implementation and quantifiably sound measurement of the success/failure of ways and means to get out of "here," I'm not sure what use, at this juncture, be the point of comprehensively understanding "how we got here."

Why? Because history is the story of causes and effects in human civilization's march through time and space, and the point of understanding humanity's past is to use that information to anticipate and shape the present and future, presumably so that it isn't imbued with the same nature and extent of mistakes humans in the past made.

Main Question:
In light of that, OP-er, and in light of your knowing in great detail "how we got here," what "escape paths," if you will, does the story of "how we got here" illuminate with regard to materially reducing the quantity of involuntary deaths and injuries from "assault rifle" use/abuse/misuse?

(To simply your responding, here are some more detailed questions that you can use to structure and organize your answer.)
  • Errors:
    • What does the story of "how we got here" inform you as being the determinative mistakes that irrevocably led us "here" and that must not be repeated?
  • Solutions -- I don't really expect that you've thought through the answers to all of the below elements of a comprehensive answer to the main question above, but I would think you have thought in detail about at least some of them, for otherwise knowing the history is of no practical value.
  1. What solution-planning insights does that information/knowledge provide or suggest?
  2. What solution-design insights does that information/knowledge provide or suggest?
  3. What solution-implementation approach insights does that information/knowledge provide or suggest?
  4. What solution-enforcement insights does that information/knowledge provide or suggest?
  5. What solution-measurement insights does that information/knowledge provide or suggest?

Cure for the Feral Epidemic

It is a counter-assault rifle, used to stop riots and protect store owners.

AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle to be one requires a selective fire switch All and AR-15 is a semi automatic rifle JUST like every other semi automatic rifle.

It's just too funny when someone who has no understanding of firearms attempts to lecture those who actually know something.

firearms_identification.jpg

Attachments

• firearms_identification.jpg
    firearms_identification.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 65

Forum List

Back