Assault rifles for self defense

Again, assault is intent. the mililtary makes weapons for that intent. Those weapons have selectors. They are not sold on the civilian markets. An AR-15 is not an assault rifle. However, any firearm can be used for the intent of assault.

You're going to have to come with something better or stop using that term to distinguish civilian firearms...unless you're using it to distinguish the difference between military grade weapons and civilian grade.

Otherwise, it's simply motive/intent.

Last edited:
Again, assault is intent. the mililtary makes weapons for that intent. Those weapons have selectors. They are not sold on the civilian markets. An AR-15 is not an assault rifle. However, any firearm can be used for the intent of assault.

You're going to have to come with something better or stop using that term to distinguish civilian firearms...unless you're using it to distinguish the difference between military grade weapons and civilian grade.

again, if you dont like the standard definition there is no one who cant help you out there. the definition is what it is. your argument against semantics is irrelevant.

Quote LeftCoastVoter: i dont have daily feeling of fear, apparently unlike you. i dont feel the need to have an arsenal out of constant fear of the unknown. apparently you do.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask you a simple question, do you have car insurance, wear your seatbelt and home owners insurance? If you do, is it based on fear or just being prepared? You freaking lefties run and hide and try to justify the unjustifiable with labels and bull shit. I'm not trying to be insensitive but how many of those well educated people, who failed to prepare for the worse case, walked out of that school? How many of the 2 million a year that use firearms to protect themselves would have walked away had they not prepared for the worse case. Are you really willing to disarm them?

Last edited:
Can I ask you a simple question, do you have car insurance, wear your seatbelt and home owners insurance? If you do, is it based on fear or just being prepared? You freaking lefties run and hide and try to justify the unjustifiable with labels and bull shit. I'm not trying to be insensitive but how many of those well educated people, who failed to prepare for the worse case, walked out of that school? How many of the 2 million a year that use firearms to protect themselves would have walked away had they not prepared for the worse case. Are you really willing to disarm them?
actually i am mandated by law to have car insurance because i own a car. i am also mandated by law to wear a seatbelt or i am given a ticket. home owners insurance is mandated by my mortgage company. any other questions?

are you mandated by law to have a psychological profile if you want to purchase a gun? are you mandated by law to take a firearms safety course prior to purchasing a gun?

you keep using the 2 million number of people individuals who have stopped crimes? where are you getting this? this would mean approx. 5,479 crimes a day are prevented by civilians carry guns.

As an armed guard supervisor at a Nuclear Power Plant, I carried a Bushmaster AR-15 around with me 5 days a week for 12 hours every work day. I did this for over 10 years. I was trained to use it, and I had to re-qualify with it every 6 months. The Bushmaster AR-15 is a very nice weapon. It is a semi-automatic rifle. The military has some AR-15 rifles that are fully automatic by engaging a switch. This style AR-15 rifle is not available to the public. There are many semi-automatic rifles available for purchase on the public market. They are not all considered "assault" weapons. I personally own a Bushmaster AR-15 "assault" rifle and it is fun to shoot and shooting it is no different than shooting any other 223 rifle. It just looks different but has the same major parts as any other semi-automatic rifle.

The thing you have to remember about a gun, any gun, is that guns do not kill. Unless you pull the trigger, it will lay there forever and even rust away before it kills anything or anybody. The person pulling the trigger is what does the killing.

actually i am mandated by law to have car insurance because i own a car. i am also mandated by law to wear a seatbelt or i am given a ticket. home owners insurance is mandated by my mortgage company. any other questions?

are you mandated by law to have a psychological profile if you want to purchase a gun? are you mandated by law to take a firearms safety course prior to purchasing a gun?

you keep using the 2 million number of people individuals who have stopped crimes? where are you getting this? this would mean approx. 5,479 crimes a day are prevented by civilians carry guns.

Are you mandated a psychological profile to exercise your first amendment rights, rights can only be taken when they are misused. Do you have to take a power tools safety course, no it your responsibility to learn how to safely operate them. I posted a link to a site that claims 2.5 million civilian uses of firearms earlier in the thread, I've been aware of the 2 million for several years, there are many sources for it. People like me don't own and carry guns to feel safe, we have them because we know shit happens and like insurance and seat belts they can help you survive the worse case. We know the worse case will happen, and only insane people fail to prepare, because it doesn't always happen to the other guy.

Assault is an intent. Much like defense is an intent. A rifle is a rifle. Rifles do not have intent, they are inanimate tools. There are rifles, and then there is intent. Only LOLberals with zero firearm education refer to rifles as assault or otherwise.
actually the gun community refers to them as assault rifles as well.

assault rifles plural of as·sault ri·fle
Noun
A rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.

To ban these types of rifles, and I would assume pistols and shotguns too, would leave nothing but revolvers, bolt action rifles, and break action shotguns.

Can we agree that this is where proponents of tougher gun regulations would like to take us, so we can move past trying to define weapons?

Are you down on baseball bats too?

View attachment 23152

Apples and oranges. You can kill anyone with anything.

Semi-automatics serve ONE purpose: to kill lots of people easily in a short amount of time.

So, you're only concern is when it is a mass killing? What is your breaking point there? 3, 5, 10? You aren't concerned about an even larger number of total deaths by say a drunk driver since they happen one or two dead people at a time? Noted.

The primary or sole purpose of a car is not to kill. The primary or sole purpose of a baseball bat is not to kill. These objects serve a purpose to society other than killing.

Assault is an intent. Much like defense is an intent. A rifle is a rifle. Rifles do not have intent, they are inanimate tools. There are rifles, and then there is intent. Only LOLberals with zero firearm education refer to rifles as assault or otherwise.

Noun

To ban these types of rifles, and I would assume pistols and shotguns too, would leave nothing but revolvers, bolt action rifles, and break action shotguns.

Can we agree that this is where proponents of tougher gun regulations would like to take us, so we can move past trying to define weapons?
based on the 1994 definition of assault weapons, it leaves several different types of rifles, hand guns and shot guns left for the avid hunter, marksman or recreational shooter to own and operate. all of which are more than adequate to be used to protect a family.

id like to know a specific reason why gun advocates believe that only high powered assault rifles are sufficient for protection?

Are you mandated a psychological profile to exercise your first amendment rights, rights can only be taken when they are misused. Do you have to take a power tools safety course, no it your responsibility to learn how to safely operate them. I posted a link to a site that claims 2.5 million civilian uses of firearms earlier in the thread, I've been aware of the 2 million for several years, there are many sources for it. People like me don't own and carry guns to feel safe, we have them because we know shit happens and like insurance and seat belts they can help you survive the worse case. We know the worse case will happen, and only insane people fail to prepare, because it doesn't always happen to the other guy.
rights have already been established to not be absolute. why does the right thing the 2nd amendment needs to be absolute?

Noun

based on the 1994 definition of assault weapons, it leaves several different types of rifles, hand guns and shot guns left for the avid hunter, marksman or recreational shooter to own and operate. all of which are more than adequate to be used to protect a family.

id like to know a specific reason why gun advocates believe that only high powered assault rifles are sufficient for protection?

It's more related to the old saying "Why climb a mountain? Because it's there."

Why own a magazine fed, gas powered rifle? Because I can. It has nothing to do with self defense. The sound of a break action shotgun is more than enough to scare the piss out of anyone trying to break into your house. All of the talk about self defense is just an excuse. People want to own these weapons for no other reason than the fact that they can. At least, for the most part. I still want to own an AR-15 because it was what I was trained with, and spent 4 years working on for the Marine Corps. More than any other weapon in the world it's what I'm the most comfortable with. But that's just me.

Assault rifles for self defense -

Real world examples of this happening in the U.S. when the person using the weapon for self defense is -

1. Not acting as a government agent nor using a weapon issued to him/her by the government
2. Not acting as a trained private security guard.
3. Not defending a criminal enterprise.

Any?

Yeah, you are out in the country and a group of bad people want to assault you and your family on your property and it's at least 15 minutes before any law enforcement can get there and they (the bad people) try to invade your home. Would you want a bolt action rifle, a pump shot gun, a semi-auto shotgun, or a semi-automatic weapon with 30 in the clip and ready to go, or a semi-auto with the "assault banned" 10 round clip at your disposal?

Last edited:
Many gun owners are kooks. And that concerns the rest of us that aren't kooks. I don't think that we need to make certain that kooks are armed and dangerous to others.

No non gun owners are kooks? Care to bet on that? Since many basically is a scare word anyway, why don't you throw out some numbers, along with the evidence to back it up?

Assault rifles for self defense -

Real world examples of this happening in the U.S. when the person using the weapon for self defense is -

1. Not acting as a government agent nor using a weapon issued to him/her by the government
2. Not acting as a trained private security guard.
3. Not defending a criminal enterprise.

Any?

What is an "assault rifle?"

Many gun owners are kooks. And that concerns the rest of us that aren't kooks. I don't think that we need to make certain that kooks are armed and dangerous to others.

That's about as anti-liberty a post as it gets.

"I don't like those people who think differently than me. We should do something about them..."

It's not simply that they "think differently." They are kooks, and should not be trusted with guns of any kind.

After you take their guns it will be a lot easier to take their right to vote, won't it?

again, if you dont like the standard definition there is no one who cant help you out there. the definition is what it is. your argument against semantics is irrelevant.

I asked you for the definition earlier, you never supplied it, now you are upset because no one accepts a definition that does not exist.

Interesting.

Noun

Based on the 1994 law, the Bushmaster is not an assault weapon. There is no definition of an assault weapon, the law simply described a gun that looks like a military weapon, but isn't, and then created a bunch of loopholes for specific weapons that looked just like the ones that were banned.

So based on the CHANCE of someone using a weapon for criminal activites, I have to lose my right to own said weapon, even with no prior bad acts and no current indication of any potential malicous activities?

So I guess because I MAY use fighting words on someone, I have to be gagged and prevented from speaking entirely.
again, no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but it has been shown already that certain weapons in the hands of the public do not serve a public good. these include assault weapons and high capacity magazines. no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but if you are a real hunter, there a number of weapons available that are not assault weapons that have very high rankings.

50 Best Hunting Rifles of the Past 10 Years -- Photo 18 | Outdoor Life

What's wrong with these hunting rifles?

20 Versatile Semi-Automatic Rifles -- Photo 8 | Outdoor Life

Forum List

Back