Assault rifles for self defense

Until gun ban proponents can even come up with a definition for assault weapon besides that of the arbitrarily, and hilarious 1994 ban, we're going to be talking about this for many years to come.

In the meantime, if there are items you may want from the firearms category, i would get them now.

Does anyone remember this?

The bad dudes have the guns..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9SWG1f--GY]1997 North Hollywood Shootout pt.3 - YouTube[/ame]

Until gun ban proponents can even come up with a definition for assault weapon besides that of the arbitrarily, and hilarious 1994 ban, we're going to be talking about this for many years to come.

In the meantime, if there are items you may want from the firearms category, i would get them now.
whats wrong with Assault Weapons ban legislation definition? you asked for a definition and I provided it. now explain why it unacceptable.

My point is also that no one is talking about banning ALL SPEECH, we are just going to gag you to prevent you from using fighting words, because someone else in the past used them, and YOU MIGHT use them. Just like someone else used a semi automatic rifle in a crime in the past, so YOU MIGHT use it for a crime, so we ban you from having it without you ever committing a crime, or even thinking about committing a crime.

It is the concept of prior restraint.
when you can prove that words and words alone can kill a man, I'll be glad to have that argument.

words can lead to a violent confrontation, be it with guns, or fists, or bats etc. Fighting words in particular, which are an exception to the 1st amendment. The exception is to prevent provocation using words, although the amendment clearly states that congress can not restrict speech.

However the punishment for this has to happen AFTER the incident occurs. The restriction on speech cannot be prior to the act.

Thus, why should I be banned from owning a semi automatic rifle if I have not committed any bad act with it?

yet words themselves can still not kill a man. another tool or instrument must be used.

the right to free speech is no absolute. you cannot yell fire in a crowded room and call it free speech. there are also bans against hate speech. so there are in fact rules in place already that limit free speech, so why can't the same been done for fire arms?

Guns aren't the problem.

The problem is that gun ownership appeals to many, many fearful, paranoid, immature, and mentally disturbed individuals.

It's difficult to separate guns from disturbed individuals.

The types of people that feel they need guns are oftentimes the very ones that should never own them.

Perfect.

when you can prove that words and words alone can kill a man, I'll be glad to have that argument.

words can lead to a violent confrontation, be it with guns, or fists, or bats etc. Fighting words in particular, which are an exception to the 1st amendment. The exception is to prevent provocation using words, although the amendment clearly states that congress can not restrict speech.

However the punishment for this has to happen AFTER the incident occurs. The restriction on speech cannot be prior to the act.

Thus, why should I be banned from owning a semi automatic rifle if I have not committed any bad act with it?

yet words themselves can still not kill a man. another tool or instrument must be used.

the right to free speech is no absolute. you cannot yell fire in a crowded room and call it free speech. there are also bans against hate speech. so there are in fact rules in place already that limit free speech, so why can't the same been done for fire arms?

In the case of speech, the bad act has to be performed. The mere chance of the bad act occurring is not enough to prevent you from speaking. Again, prior restraint.

When it comes to firearms what people are proposing is restraining people from owning a common class of personal firearms prior to any bad act, on the mere chance someone else has or will do something bad with them.

So based on the CHANCE of someone using a weapon for criminal activites, I have to lose my right to own said weapon, even with no prior bad acts and no current indication of any potential malicous activities?

So I guess because I MAY use fighting words on someone, I have to be gagged and prevented from speaking entirely.
again, no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but it has been shown already that certain weapons in the hands of the public do not serve a public good. these include assault weapons and high capacity magazines. no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but if you are a real hunter, there a number of weapons available that are not assault weapons that have very high rankings.

50 Best Hunting Rifles of the Past 10 Years -- Photo 18 | Outdoor Life

I've got a very simple question, how many rounds should a citizen be restricted to, in a self defense situation?

Assault rifles for self defense -

Real world examples of this happening in the U.S. when the person using the weapon for self defense is -

1. Not acting as a government agent nor using a weapon issued to him/her by the government
2. Not acting as a trained private security guard.
3. Not defending a criminal enterprise.

Any?

What the fuck is an assault rifle? I was in the Navy for years, and know quite a few people that own guns, and I have never seen one. I bet I could walk into any gun store in this country and not find a single assault rifle for sale, yet people keep complaining about them. Can you provide some type of definition? Are you aware that the Bushmaster that everyone is currently whinging about was not covered by the Public Safety and Recreational use Firearms Protection Act?
actually the Bushmaster AR-15 would have met the assault weapons ban of the 90's

Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.

No it wouldn't.

How Do We Know an 'Assault Weapon' Ban Would Not Have Stopped Adam Lanza? Because It Didn't. - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Real world examples of this happening in the U.S. when the person using the weapon for self defense is -

1. Not acting as a government agent nor using a weapon issued to him/her by the government

Any?

What the fuck is an assault rifle? I was in the Navy for years, and know quite a few people that own guns, and I have never seen one. I bet I could walk into any gun store in this country and not find a single assault rifle for sale, yet people keep complaining about them. Can you provide some type of definition? Are you aware that the Bushmaster that everyone is currently whinging about was not covered by the Public Safety and Recreational use Firearms Protection Act?
actually the Bushmaster AR-15 would have met the assault weapons ban of the 90's

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor

Pistol grip
Detachable magazine.

Ahhh yes.. the criteria based on looks, not functionality...

Because if it has a pistol grip, that makes it more dangerous... if it is a semi-automatic version, it must be the same as the automatic version... because the flash suppression makes it deadlier in a group of people... :rolleyes:

You people really have zero clue...

So based on the CHANCE of someone using a weapon for criminal activites, I have to lose my right to own said weapon, even with no prior bad acts and no current indication of any potential malicous activities?

So I guess because I MAY use fighting words on someone, I have to be gagged and prevented from speaking entirely.
again, no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but it has been shown already that certain weapons in the hands of the public do not serve a public good. these include assault weapons and high capacity magazines. no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but if you are a real hunter, there a number of weapons available that are not assault weapons that have very high rankings.

I've got a very simple question, how many rounds should a citizen be restricted to, in a self defense situation?
question back to you, how round does a citizen need in a single weapon to protect themselves? revolvers only hold 6 rounds, at one time that was enough. there is no law, nor any talk of legislation limiting the number of weapons, or the number of clips one may carry. so if your restricted to 10 rounds per clip, why not carry 3 clips, or 3 weapons. yet the right never talks about this.

if it take you a specific number of rounds in a weapon simply to feel safe, then no number of rounds will ever make you feel safe.

whats wrong with Assault Weapons ban legislation definition? you asked for a definition and I provided it. now explain why it unacceptable.

How about the fact that the ban that Feinstein is reintroducing today specifically exempts over 200 weapons that meet the definition of the weapons she wants to ban? How about the fact that so called high capacity magazines are actually standard magazines for the weapons used by police?

Any?

Pistol grip
Bayonet mount

Pistol grip
Detachable magazine.

There are dozens of variations of the AR-15, many of which would not fall under any of the cosmetics listed in your post. The underlying semiautomatic rifle, the AR-15, is still available under the AWB.

There's an outdoor shooting range near my house that has been silent since summer.

This weekend, I heard non-stop shooting coming from there. Every minute of the day, alllllllll weekend.

question back to you, how round does a citizen need in a single weapon to protect themselves? revolvers only hold 6 rounds, at one time that was enough. there is no law, nor any talk of legislation limiting the number of weapons, or the number of clips one may carry. so if your restricted to 10 rounds per clip, why not carry 3 clips, or 3 weapons. yet the right never talks about this.

if it take you a specific number of rounds in a weapon simply to feel safe, then no number of rounds will ever make you feel safe.

I wonder how many rounds the cops had in their AR's at that crime scene, ya think they might of had 30? Would you want to limit them to 10 round magazines also? If not, why not? See the left is not the only ones that can avoid answering a direct question with a question. So how about you answer mine and I'll answer yours, that the way conversations work.

Many gun owners are kooks. And that concerns the rest of us that aren't kooks. I don't think that we need to make certain that kooks are armed and dangerous to others.

Pistol grip
Bayonet mount

Pistol grip
Detachable magazine.

Ahhh yes.. the criteria based on looks, not functionality...

Because if it has a pistol grip, that makes it more dangerous... if it is a semi-automatic version, it must be the same as the automatic version... because the flash suppression makes it deadlier in a group of people... :rolleyes:

You people really have zero clue...

I find the bayonet mount the most terrifying feature of all!! :lol:

Many gun owners are kooks. And that concerns the rest of us that aren't kooks. I don't think that we need to make certain that kooks are armed and dangerous to others.

That's about as anti-liberty a post as it gets.

"I don't like those people who think differently than me. We should do something about them..."

That's about as anti-liberty a post as it gets.

"I don't like those people who think differently than me. We should do something about them..."

It's not simply that they "think differently." They are kooks, and should not be trusted with guns of any kind.

Forum List

Back