Assault rifles for self defense

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
Assault rifles for self defense -

Real world examples of this happening in the U.S. when the person using the weapon for self defense is -

1. Not acting as a government agent nor using a weapon issued to him/her by the government
2. Not acting as a trained private security guard.
3. Not defending a criminal enterprise.

Any?

These people can come up with any number of wet dreams where they defend their homes Rambo style but in the end they are just awesome pieces of machinery and super cool.

Try this one.
Son Uses Dad’s AR-15 To Defend Home
Son Uses Dad’s AR-15 To Defend Home (2010) | Guns Save Lives

You did just ask for one, right? Question answered.
one example... not too bad.

now lets compare that against the mass shootings involving guns:

Josh Sugarmann: 10 U.S. Mass Shootings Involving High-Capacity Ammunition Magazines (Slide Show)

List of rampage killers: Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So based on the CHANCE of someone using a weapon for criminal activites, I have to lose my right to own said weapon, even with no prior bad acts and no current indication of any potential malicous activities?

So I guess because I MAY use fighting words on someone, I have to be gagged and prevented from speaking entirely.

Real world examples of this happening in the U.S. when the person using the weapon for self defense is -

1. Not acting as a government agent nor using a weapon issued to him/her by the government

Any?

What the fuck is an assault rifle? I was in the Navy for years, and know quite a few people that own guns, and I have never seen one. I bet I could walk into any gun store in this country and not find a single assault rifle for sale, yet people keep complaining about them. Can you provide some type of definition? Are you aware that the Bushmaster that everyone is currently whinging about was not covered by the Public Safety and Recreational use Firearms Protection Act?

Try this one.

Josh Sugarmann: 10 U.S. Mass Shootings Involving High-Capacity Ammunition Magazines (Slide Show)

So based on the CHANCE of someone using a weapon for criminal activites, I have to lose my right to own said weapon, even with no prior bad acts and no current indication of any potential malicous activities?

So I guess because I MAY use fighting words on someone, I have to be gagged and prevented from speaking entirely.
again, no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but it has been shown already that certain weapons in the hands of the public do not serve a public good. these include assault weapons and high capacity magazines. no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but if you are a real hunter, there a number of weapons available that are not assault weapons that have very high rankings.

50 Best Hunting Rifles of the Past 10 Years -- Photo 18 | Outdoor Life

again, no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but it has been shown already that certain weapons in the hands of the public do not serve a public good. these include assault weapons and high capacity magazines. no one is talking about complete gun elimination, but if you are a real hunter, there a number of weapons available that are not assault weapons that have very high rankings.

Again.. define specifically what an assault weapon is....

Try this one.

High capacity magazines, hmm. I wonder what those stories define as high capacity magazines. Given the fact that the very first story is about a guy using a using a pistol he had a concealed carry permit for, my guess is they are talking about the standard issue magazine that comes with the Ruger. Does it hold more than 10 rounds? Yes. Is it high capacity? Not in the opinion of anyone with a brain.

What the fuck is an assault weapon? How come the only people that think they exist are the people that claim they don't want to ban all guns, just the assault weapons, yet not a single one of them can tell anyone what they actually are.

My point is also that no one is talking about banning ALL SPEECH, we are just going to gag you to prevent you from using fighting words, because someone else in the past used them, and YOU MIGHT use them. Just like someone else used a semi automatic rifle in a crime in the past, so YOU MIGHT use it for a crime, so we ban you from having it without you ever committing a crime, or even thinking about committing a crime.

It is the concept of prior restraint.

Any?

What the fuck is an assault rifle? I was in the Navy for years, and know quite a few people that own guns, and I have never seen one. I bet I could walk into any gun store in this country and not find a single assault rifle for sale, yet people keep complaining about them. Can you provide some type of definition? Are you aware that the Bushmaster that everyone is currently whinging about was not covered by the Public Safety and Recreational use Firearms Protection Act?
actually the Bushmaster AR-15 would have met the assault weapons ban of the 90's

Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.

My point is also that no one is talking about banning ALL SPEECH, we are just going to gag you to prevent you from using fighting words, because someone else in the past used them, and YOU MIGHT use them. Just like someone else used a semi automatic rifle in a crime in the past, so YOU MIGHT use it for a crime, so we ban you from having it without you ever committing a crime, or even thinking about committing a crime.

when you can prove that words and words alone can kill a man, I'll be glad to have that argument.

when you can prove that words and words alone can kill a man, I'll be glad to have that argument.

words can lead to a violent confrontation, be it with guns, or fists, or bats etc. Fighting words in particular, which are an exception to the 1st amendment. The exception is to prevent provocation using words, although the amendment clearly states that congress can not restrict speech.

However the punishment for this has to happen AFTER the incident occurs. The restriction on speech cannot be prior to the act.

Thus, why should I be banned from owning a semi automatic rifle if I have not committed any bad act with it?

Look...a normal pump shotgun works just fine here in rural Florida for stopping a maurauding 200 pound wild boar. No one needs to drag out an AR-15 for instant pulled pork.

There is no need for shredded human flesh from assault rifles, either.

Regards from Rosie

Guns aren't the problem.

The problem is that gun ownership appeals to many, many fearful, paranoid, immature, and mentally disturbed individuals.

It's difficult to separate guns from disturbed individuals.

The types of people that feel they need guns are oftentimes the very ones that should never own them.

Try this one.

I guess you would prefer the 2 million or so people that use guns for self defense be victims also.
The Defensive Gun Use Statistics

Crazy people that want to kill don't need a gun, Dahmer killed 17 and never fired a shot, would you deny people the right to defend themselves against people like him? BTW he was just the first example of a serial killer who didn't use a gun, there are more.

New Topics

Forum List

Back