Assassination attempt against Wolfowitz

Was this really an assassination attempt, or was it just a matter of him being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

You would think someone as high up as Deputy Defense Secretary would be kept somewhere with better security, not in a regular hotel in downtown Baghdad.

Was this really an assassination attempt, or was it just a matter of him being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

That's possible. I guess I made my conclusions a bit too fast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3214901.stm

Mr Wolfowitz has been making his second visit to Baghdad in three months to discuss security and reconstruction.

He was staying with senior aides on the 12th floor of the al-Rashid, well above the area hit by the rockets.

>>Deputy Defense Secretary would be kept somewhere with better security, not in a regular hotel in downtown Baghdad.<<

You're missing the potential spin;

Tommorows headline on Fox:

Wolfowitz Oversees Revitilization of Iraqs Failing Tourist Industry
Administration scored another victory today in Baghdad as the mere presence of Assitant Secretary for Defence, Paul Wolfowitz, caused the Iraqi people to spontaniously undertake an extensive renovation of the once posh Rashid Hotel.

Never mind about the trooper who bought it gaurding the structure. Remember, it's all about the "good" news.

Originally posted by dijetlo
Never mind about the trooper who bought it gaurding the structure. Remember, it's all about the "good" news.

How would you know about this if it wasn't reported? :D

(Didn't read that myself, but I haven't read much about this bombing as of yet))

Originally posted by jimnyc
How would you know about this if it wasn't reported? :D

(Didn't read that myself, but I haven't read much about this bombing as of yet))

Touche :cof:

another shining example to WHY iraq will NEVER embrace an american serving democracy. there are just too many hostile neighbors! the new wanna be surrogate israel is PROVING TIME AND TIME AGAIN that it cannot peacefully maintain any kind of western government.

anyone doubt that the next 'democratically' elected leader will be assasinated?

Originally posted by spillmind
anyone doubt that the next 'democratically' elected leader will be assasinated?

That's the advantage of a democracy. It doesn't matter if the man (or woman) dies, the office remains alive. But you have a point about the hostility Iraqi's neighbors will have toward a western-style democracy. That's why it's likely to be something akin to a theocratic democracy. At least, I've heard that trial balloon floated once or twice. Another tricky part is getting the leader who ends up being elected to voluntarily step-down at the end of his term. You can bet your bottom dollar that whoever it is will spare no expense in minimizing U.S. presence and influence.

...The Coalition Spinsters tried to suggest that the "reason" for the attack was not to attack Wolfie, but to retaliate for the opening of the bridge because of the profound symbolism of progress that the bridge represents. One does not need to be in the military command on the ground on Iraq to know that THAT is bullshit! They would blow the freaking brdge, if that were the case! Obviously, if the Resistance are capable of blowing the heavily guarded hotel, they would be able to blow the bridge.

These guys are in trouble and the more they try to pretend they are not, the worse their credibility gets damaged in the eyes of the world AND the American public.

It is NOT patriotic to defend this kind of dissembling on the part of the Coalition in Iraq!!!:mad:

Forum List

Back