Assange Op Ed in The Australian newspaper

Whether you see it or not is not really the point. The point is how our DoJ sees it. He knowingly disseminated stolen classified information. It is vital to our national security that we are able to communicate with other countries without them being concerned that it will end up on the front page of the world's newspapers. You get that right?

It is vital to your national security when it involves communiques that deserve that designation....I've seen nothing released so far that fall into that category. Most of it is just a bunch of office gossip.

And if other countries don't realise that this information was released without the permission of the US govt, then it's their problem, not yours.

Whether you see it or not is not really the point. The point is how our DoJ sees it. He knowingly disseminated stolen classified information. It is vital to our national security that we are able to communicate with other countries without them being concerned that it will end up on the front page of the world's newspapers. You get that right?

It is vital to your national security when it involves communiques that deserve that designation....I've seen nothing released so far that fall into that category. Most of it is just a bunch of office gossip.

It's not the fucking information, it's the fact that it was released. It's the act that is important, not the information. Try and grasp that one, small - yet absolutely vital - fact.

And if other countries don't realise that this information was released without the permission of the US govt, then it's their problem, not yours.

Try and pay attention here..... That's is the issue for other governments. It's not about fucking permission... it's about a leak of sensitive information. Security agencies around the world take secrecy very, very seriously. If the US Government allows this leak to go unpunished.... and that fact that it happened at all.... are HUGELY damaging to our ability to work with the security agencies of other countries. Who the fuck is gonna want to share intel with us if it's gonna end up on the front page of the world's newspapers.

You are not seeing the big picture. Try to step back and look at it from a different angle.

It's not the fucking information, it's the fact that it was released. It's the act that is important, not the information. Try and grasp that one, small - yet absolutely vital - fact.

Try and pay attention here..... That's is the issue for other governments. It's not about fucking permission... it's about a leak of sensitive information. Security agencies around the world take secrecy very, very seriously. If the US Government allows this leak to go unpunished.... and that fact that it happened at all.... are HUGELY damaging to our ability to work with the security agencies of other countries. Who the fuck is gonna want to share intel with us if it's gonna end up on the front page of the world's newspapers.

You are not seeing the big picture. Try to step back and look at it from a different angle.

CG...I see your point. It has been your MAIN point on all these Wikileaks threads. I don't see it as that important s'all...

CG...I see your point. It has been your MAIN point on all these Wikileaks threads. I don't see it as that important s'all...

It's my only point. The information being released is of no interest. My only interest is the national security of my country. You, naturally, won't see that as important - you're not an American. I bet you'd see it differently if it was your country facing terrorist attacks. Then, you'd be baying for this guy's blood instead of whining about his right to publish stolen information.

Even by your definition he is not guilty. If you believe so, which parts are covered by his acts?

he disclosed classified information. no?

it seems with the caveat of "become subject to prohibition when of such a nature and used in such circumstances a to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils which Congress has a right to prevent" according to the case law your quoted. He hasn't done that IMO...the bolded words are the important ones,,

hence my saying leave it to a jury. they would have far more information than we do and will assess if there is/was a danger.

[
It's my only point. The information being released is of no interest. My only interest is the national security of my country. You, naturally, won't see that as important - you're not an American. I bet you'd see it differently if it was your country facing terrorist attacks. Then, you'd be baying for this guy's blood instead of whining about his right to publish stolen information.

1) Nothing in those docs have been of national security
2) We have troops in Afghanistan and Iraq
3) What do terrorist attacks have to do with these latest releases.
4) Nothing whining about it. Just stating it.
5) And no, being in the media, as you are, I don't have a problem with anything he has released so far. I agree almost entirely with his OP in The Australian, which is linked to in my OP...

[

1) Nothing in those docs have been of national security
2) We have troops in Afghanistan and Iraq
3) What do terrorist attacks have to do with these latest releases.
4) Nothing whining about it. Just stating it.
5) And no, being in the media, as you are, I don't have a problem with anything he has released so far. I agree almost entirely with his OP in The Australian, which is linked to in my OP...

You still don't get the point. I'm not interested in whether the information concerns national security. The problem - and it is a real, actual problem - is that security agencies around the world are - as we speak - refusing to share information with our security agencies.... because they cannot guarantee that it won't leak. It is absolutely fucking vital that we share information. Can you, for one minute, forget about the information and focus on the leak.

Surely to God, you're smart enough to realize the implication of other countries not sharing intel with the US? What if they are - without realizing it - sitting on information which.... when put together with information we already have - might stop another 9/11? You might think that's not a big deal, but I do.

You still don't get the point. I'm not interested in whether the information concerns national security. The problem - and it is a real, actual problem - is that security agencies around the world are - as we speak - refusing to share information with our security agencies.... because they cannot guarantee that it won't leak. It is absolutely fucking vital that we share information. Can you, for one minute, forget about the information and focus on the leak.

Surely to God, you're smart enough to realize the implication of other countries not sharing intel with the US? What if they are - without realizing it - sitting on information which.... when put together with information we already have - might stop another 9/11? You might think that's not a big deal, but I do.

Ah, well, that is where the great game comes in. For one, it is quid pro quo. I would say the US's ability to collect information is a lot more thorough than most other countries. I think if most other countries refused to share they would be cutting off their noses to spite their face. The US has a lot more to offer than vice versa.

As for not sharing vital information, it is risk - a calculated risk. Can you imagine what David Cameron would do - or feel like - if another terrorist attack happened on US soil and MI5 or 6 had info on it and didn't disclose it and it became public? Can you imagine the outcry?

IOW, I think your worry is overstated....

The free market seems to be dealing with him nicely.

Please don't confuse international government totalitarianism with the free market.

I know they govt's don't play nice, and I am not that naive to think they would. But to me there is a difference between playing nice and doing what is necessary to keep your country safe. I think half the time these idiots are running around wasting time and tax payer's money. In fact, that is most of what I take out of these leaks.

All of you who have spoken out against open governance in this thread have been successfully duped into believing that your "freedoms" are contingent on your government's ability to commit atrocities in secret. All of the leaks up to this point have served either to expose blatant wrongdoing or to bring diplomatic negotiations to the public's attention. My only gripe with Wikileaks is that they clearly aren't telling us everything that they know. The powers that be and those who refuse to question their actions can all go to hell. Oh, and remember:

freedumb.jpg

:thup:

Ah, well, that is where the great game comes in. For one, it is quid pro quo. I would say the US's ability to collect information is a lot more thorough than most other countries. I think if most other countries refused to share they would be cutting off their noses to spite their face. The US has a lot more to offer than vice versa.

As for not sharing vital information, it is risk - a calculated risk. Can you imagine what David Cameron would do - or feel like - if another terrorist attack happened on US soil and MI5 or 6 had info on it and didn't disclose it and it became public? Can you imagine the outcry?

IOW, I think your worry is overstated....

Again, I don't really care what you think. I care about the US being able to stop terrorist attacks, I care about Americans around the world being safe in foreign countries (me among them), I care about my brothers and friends in the Military... you're opinion... meh, not so much. If we want Assange, we will get Assange. I hope Obama and Holder have the backbone to do the hard job... even if it pisses off a few fools who think it's no big deal.

Again, I don't really care what you think. I care about the US being able to stop terrorist attacks, I care about Americans around the world being safe in foreign countries (me among them), I care about my brothers and friends in the Military... you're opinion... meh, not so much. If we want Assange, we will get Assange. I hope Obama and Holder have the backbone to do the hard job... even if it pisses off a few fools who think it's no big deal.

I care about all people being safe from terrorist attacks - any undeserved attacks in fact.

Dunno what Obama or Holder can do. Still can't see anything that has been done is wrong.

I am worried about the frothing at the mouth of the right on this. These are the people who hold their hands on their hearts and talk about freedom of speech, yadda, yadda, yadda, but whenever anything like this happens they are first who want to hang, draw and quarter somebody with little or no reason. Kalam's pics sum things up nicely IMO.

Last edited:
The free market seems to be dealing with him nicely.

Please don't confuse international government totalitarianism with the free market.

I know they govt's don't play nice, and I am not that naive to think they would. But to me there is a difference between playing nice and doing what is necessary to keep your country safe. I think half the time these idiots are running around wasting time and tax payer's money. In fact, that is most of what I take out of these leaks.

Yes, for the most part, but the most important thing to me is that Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton should be in jail not Bradley Manning or Julian Assange.

I care about all people being safe from terrorist attacks - any undeserved attacks in fact.

Dunno what Obama or Holder can do. Still can't see anything that has been done is wrong.

I am worried about the frothing at the mouth of the right on this. These are the people who hold their hands on their hearts and talk about freedom of speech, yadda, yadda, yadda, but whenever anything like this happens they are first who want to hang, draw and quarter somebody with little or no reason. Kalam's pics sum things up nicely IMO.

I'm not frothing at the mouth. I simply want to protect US Citizens - along with the citizens of our allies - from terrorists. If you think leaking a bunch of shit is no big deal, then, fine. Personally, I see it differently - and I have very valid reasons for seeing differently. Those who think this is no big deal, are the ones who will be screaming like baby banshees if we get another attack. Particularly if it then emerges that several countries had information that could have prevented it. We have to be realistic. Some countries don't play nice when collecting information... we may not like the way that information was obtained.... it may have been obtained from locals who's lives would be in danger if that information ended up on Wikileaks.... there are lots of really valid reasons why we keep information secret. Because that information can sometimes get people killed. Does your 'right to know' outweigh the security of others? No.

Assange has no idea what he's printing... he has no idea of the consequences and, more importantly - he doesn't care. What he did was to knowingly disseminate stolen confidential information.... that is espionage. You may not agree but our DoJ are building a case against him.

Yes, for the most part, but the most important thing to me is that Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton should be in jail not Bradley Manning or Julian Assange.

If naivety was illegal, you'd be in prison too. Bradley Manning is a traitor - not technically, but most certainly in the spirit of treason.... Assange is guilty of espionage. Personally, I'd like to see Manning get the DP - assuming he is found guilty. And Assange can rot in jail... in the general population - with Americans.

Freedom of speech is not the same as trafficking stolen property.

Good point.

Just because he is given information that he should not have, does not give him the right to share it with everyone.

If I am given stolen Rolexes, and I sell them, should I be considered innocent?

Freedom of speech is not the same as trafficking stolen property.

Good point.

Just because he is given information that he should not have, does not give him the right to share it with everyone.

If I am given stolen Rolexes, and I sell them, should I be considered innocent?

Is Wikileaks selling the information they've obtained?

Forum List

Back